Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 05:44   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro
Re: Stolen boat sy Isis II from Union Isl yesterday

Clarke's Court can handle boats with up to 17' draft and can handle very long boats. Website: https://www.clarkescourtmarina.com/ Phone 1 (473) 439-3939

Spice Island Marine doesn't indicate max depth. Close to Budget Marine and restaurants. Website: https://spiceislandmarine.com/ Phone 1 (473) 444-4342

Grenada Marine doesn't indicate max depth, but I know they have 16' at their dock. Also have Island Water World and a restaurant on site. Maybe less expensive. Website: https://http://www.grenadamarine.com/ Phone 1 (473) 443-1667
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 08:04   #32

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Clake´s Court does not have space until 21 May,Grenada Marine seems to have a bad name and Spice Island we are uncertain they can take boats of 3 m draught. We have requested availability but no answer so far.

Does anyone remember where the skipper of the unfortunate sy Lady Domina had a floating drydock, and any idea if it is still functioning?

Thank you all for any information.

Sinbad7
Old 30-04-2017, 08:36   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Rudder and bow damage sounds like she freed herself from the mooring and then drifted away hitting things.

How come none of her neighbours noticed?

At Union it will be the current on the roundabout not just the wind that would dictate where the boat ends up.

I remember the current enters mostly via the E part and leaves thru the W part, counter-clockwise. We anchored there and I can remember the current very clearly.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:00   #34

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

This is a relevant thread to me as my wife and I are currently cruising the Caribbean (we left Clifton Harbour 2 weeks ago) and we are concerned about security issues. I'm not intending to hijack this thread but I have always left the key to the ignition in the key switch and the windlass on so in the event that we dragged anchor, a Good Samaritan could maneuver the boat and re-deploy the anchor. In the last six years we have never had a problem and we've anchored off the coasts of some of the most economically-challenged countries in the world. Granted, I don't stay on top of the topic closely but are cruising yachts frequently stolen?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Clake´s Court does not have space until 21 May,Grenada Marine seems to have a bad name and Spice Island we are uncertain they can take boats of 3 m draught. We have requested availability but no answer so far.

Does anyone remember where the skipper of the unfortunate sy Lady Domina had a floating drydock, and any idea if it is still functioning?

Sinbad7
I don't agree with the assessment of Grenada Marine. We've been treated well there and the work done was good quality. No one will be available to talk to until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. You can try Jason, the owner, on 473 407-2090.

The only floating dock I am aware of is in Marin, Martiinique and associated with Carenatilles boat yard on the north side of the harbor. The other option is St Lucia at Rodney Bay, but I don't know their max depth.
Old 30-04-2017, 10:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
This is a relevant thread to me as my wife and I are currently cruising the Caribbean (we left Clifton Harbour 2 weeks ago) and we are concerned about security issues. I'm not intending to hijack this thread but I have always left the key to the ignition in the key switch and the windlass on so in the event that we dragged anchor, a Good Samaritan could maneuver the boat and re-deploy the anchor. In the last six years we have never had a problem and we've anchored off the coasts of some of the most economically-challenged countries in the world. Granted, I don't stay on top of the topic closely but are cruising yachts frequently stolen?

Fair winds and calm seas.
Check Caribbean Safety and Security Network for prior reports. https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/newsreports/

We no longer leave keys in the ignition....
Old 30-04-2017, 10:22   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am not out there cruising yet, however I have been watching the security concerns for a couple of years. In my estimation big boat theft is exceedingly rare, now they break in and steal, and will get your dinghy and motor in a heart beat.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I will leave the keys either, although I understand the reasoning.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:58   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Not often.

But if you leave the anchor winch on and the engine key in the slot, your will be stolen up first.

NO?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:46   #39

Boat: Hylas 44

I was anchored nearby your boat to clear out custom the day your boat disappeared.
Personally, I hate this place.
Every time we went there, the well known moorings boat boy harassed us to collect 60.00 EC$ for the mooring even if we planned to stay few minutes to clear the custom. Even worse, if you anchor close to his empty moorings ( they are everywhere) he want you to pay the fees since, according to him, no one will want to use the mooring that is 150 feet away from your boat.
I found it safer to anchor at Petit St-Vincent and use the dingy to go to the custom.
I can't believe that the boat boy didn't notice that your boat was drifting away from his mooring since he is always there. In addition, the current and wind would push your boat West of Union instead of to Grenada.
In my opinion, chance are that your boat was stolen by someone that didn't know how to operate a sailboat.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:27   #40

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

We took a mooring there earlier this year and learned a few interesting things . That new solid moorings are run by the park rangers . they Have set up a system where the 60 EC also pays for the help of a boat boy who are issued small laminated cards that they will give to you . The cards are collected from the boats when they collect the fees . So the cost of the mooring is 40 EC .and 20 goes to the boat boy.
When we came in this winter the boat boy told me he does not get paid by the park so I tipped him . The next morning the ranger came and asked for the fee and the little card . When inquiring about the card the payment system was explained to me and boy was I annoyed at being tricked . I explained what happened to the lady ranger ,and how this sort of thing will damage their reputation . Then the next morning the most amazing thing happened ,we where coming back from the song and dance that is customs in Union and the Lady Ranger was waiting for us . She had gone to the boat boy , gave him what for and gave me back the 20 EC that I had tipped the scoundrel. Some people in Union are trying to do the right thing .
Now back to the thread , I'm not sure how a boat could break off a mooring or drag anchour and get out of Clifton . There are a number of reefs that would collect it ,and the boatboys huddle in the channel and would spot the boat . There is good money in rescuing drifting boats . I think that theft is the likely answer but I would be happy to be wrong .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 18:33   #41

Boat: PDQ 44i

Very interesting post. We were in Clifton last week and we got scammed by the boat boy, too. The park moorings are designed so they can't be picked up without being in a small boat. The eye is way under water. And the moorings now occupy almost all the area that used to be available for anchoring. so you are pretty much at the mercy of the boat boys to pick up a mooring if the harbour is crowded.

It used to be you could anchor in there with good holding.

Boat boy helped us and asked for and got his tip and handed us a plastic-laminated card. He told us to give the card to the ranger when we paid for the mooring. The ranger is in the museum building by the customs house. They charged us XCD 60 and we were only there about 2 hours. They always charge for a whole day; there is no short term parking. Most people are only in there to clear customs, so the park gets paid the all-day rent on those buoys several times each day.

And if part of that XCD 60 I paid to the ranger was then given to the boat boy, then he got paid twice, the dishonest scoundrel.

Clifton harbour is on weather side of the island, surrounded by reefs. The trade winds blow through there constantly. If a boat drags, chances are it will wind up on the reef, not float out of the harbour. That anchorage is a lee shore.

My best wishes to the owner of the boat that went walk-about. May his repairs go well.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:26   #42

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

Sinbad7
Carriacou Marine have new travel lift and may help you:
Info@carriacoumarine.com
1 473-443-6292
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:43   #43

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Also clarkes court boatyard in woburn Grenada. They are very good there
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:59   #44

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

All´s well now and she is on a slip being repaired. Thanks all for your attention. This thread is now closed.

Tags
boat