Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 07:56   #1

Boat: Cal-Jensen 34 w Yanmar 3
Send a message via Skype™ to sonAdmiralson
storm navigation

I had a laminated card on my old boat that had graphics of a storm front, with the spiral wind directions, showing how to navigate out, I guess it showed a counter clockwise rotation, and (assuming it was a norther) by keeping the wind on your right (?) rear quarter, you end up steering out of it. I wish I had kept that card, anyone seen one like it, and can review the idea with me? I'm about ready to sail a 27'er from Long Island to Bermuda and I want to have my foul weather strategy set up. I'm thinking to sail for comfort and not taking it on the nose. I guess holding course as best she will, until a broad reach gets to be too much, then running on. comments appreciated.
Dodging a late hurricane would be to head east, or miss the track with SW weather reports.
sonAdmiralson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:32   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: storm navigation

Storms will have varied shapes and you are talking about one with a front in it, occluded. I think.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/guides/...ifs/ofdef2.gif

Do you assume the storm will pass above you? thru you? below you?

When you assume it will pass above you, you may elect to sail broad reach stb tack before the front, then gybe and sail very deep port tack.

Mind you will be very very limited by wave action in your choice of how you manage it. And the deeper into the storm, the fewer choices you will have.

If the Low passes far enough, you may actually do the opposite and use the front to get you to the destination sooner. 'Ride' the front, that is.

Is this what you meant?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is this what you were thinking of?

Click image for larger version

Name:	avoiding-rotating-storm.png
Views:	837
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	175550

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	175551

Name:	1-2-3 <a title=Rule.JPG Views: 229 Size: 59.0 KB ID: 175552" style="margin: 2px" />
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:26   #4

Thumbs up Re: storm navigation

Yes fellows, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I hope this thread stays alive with other foul weather navigation tips, such as setting a drogue or sea anchor with a swivel, how not to get seasick (suck sour candy, look at the horizon) the right situations to broad reach and ride the tops vs running or quartering downwind, countering weatherhelm (put up more jib and less main (?)
Thanks for the excellent graphics.
Old 16-08-2018, 07:34   #5

the two situations to consider being a noreaster coming down the coast more or less, and a tropical depression or hurricane coming the reverse direction. And another strategy for the southern leg, after departing Bermuda, which would be to head east, passing to the north of it. Further south the reverse strategy holds, I think, the smart direction is south, since the storm will always go north.
Keeping the wind on the starboard quarter heading south to avoid a hurricane gambles with the storm track, its for when you are "caught" (?)
Old 16-08-2018, 07:46   #6

I was smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Sandy a few years ago in the Bahamas, and I seem to remember the eye being 100 miles across. Big storm. There was around two days of warning to hole up. I decided to stay on board, which was difficult but prudent, only being a few yards from shore.
This year, is predicted to be a "mild" year because of El Nino, I am reading this news recently. The strategy I am shooting for is to get good weather reports on time, and plan accordingly with the options thought out beforehand. As we did in the past. And saved the boat and didn't endanger anyones life.
Old 22-08-2018, 05:55   #7

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonAdmiralson View Post
I had a laminated card on my old boat that had graphics of a storm front, with the spiral wind directions, showing how to navigate out, I guess it showed a counter clockwise rotation, and (assuming it was a norther) by keeping the wind on your right (?) rear quarter, you end up steering out of it. I wish I had kept that card, anyone seen one like it, and can review the idea with me?
Make a fist with your right hand, with your thumb pointed up (fist "low" and sitting on your chart table). That's a low pressure system in the northern hemisphere and the direction of your fingers show the direction of circulation around a low.

Make a fist with your right hand with your thumb pointed down (first elevated "high" in the air)… That's a high pressure system in the northern hemisphere and the direction of your fingers show the direction of circulation around a high.

Now just use the index finger of your left hand to envision your boat's position relative to your fist. Changing it's position and direction of your left hand finger will tell you the direction you need to steer to get away and what winds you should experience.

...and you can't lose this card.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation