Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 19:16   #46

Boat: catalina 22 & 27
Re: The Earth is flat!

I saw a documentary that proved the earth is flat. They even demonstrated what happens when you sail off the edge!

"Erik the Viking"

Seriously though, are there any flat earthers who are celestial navigators?

Thx-Ace
Old 08-10-2020, 19:25   #47

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Would have thought the issue would have been settled when Earth was photographed from outer space.
Old 08-10-2020, 19:36   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
So I caught a documentary on the Flat Earthers.

Made for a good comedy.

But after some googling I found out this is all rather serious!!

So I was just wondering, are there any Yachties/Boaters who believe the earth is flat?

This could bring out a few Trolls!!! Sorry.

I’m really most afraid o falling off the edg into th turtle’s mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C6273EA-9A6C-483B-8FF3-98E1612BA926.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	224890  
Old 08-10-2020, 19:38   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
. How does spherical geometry work on a flat plate?

Billiards.

Capt Clark
Old 08-10-2020, 20:17   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, as it has always been. But we are living in a time when objective truth is now in question. The consensus on climate change, and its causes, is an excellent example of this. Although I fear even mentioning it since it will inevitably bring out the avalanche of anti-science folk of which we're talking about.

(Which is further example of the rise of this phenomena).
I'm not anti science. I am anti scientism. If science wasn't so corrupt then maybe it could be trusted a lot more. A lot (or most) of published science is funded and manipulated to support some agenda (like agenda 21/2030). Human caused climate change is obviously real (we practically have burned down all the rain forest!). But add to that the fact (or you might say conspiracy theory) that we try to manipulate weather and who knows what (ionospheric heating and such). Wouldn't true scientific process be able to question an established view? Would you trust all the science from the 1970s? They said it was cutting edge then. But then they revise it. ("We were wrong but this time we are sure so don't worry, whatever we are feeding you, and injecting you with is perfectly safe. Trust us, we are the scientists") Flat eartherism is a good thought exercise. If you can't relax what you think you know for a minute, without having an aneurism, then you might be just the kind of scientist that they are looking for to promote their agendas and products. Science is being used in a bad way and a lot of it is a really terrible source to support these objective truths that you say exist.
Old 08-10-2020, 20:53   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I'm not anti science. I am anti scientism. If science wasn't so corrupt then maybe it could be trusted a lot more. A lot (or most) of published science is funded and manipulated to support some agenda (like agenda 21/2030). Human caused climate change is obviously real (we practically have burned down all the rain forest!). But add to that the fact (or you might say conspiracy theory) that we try to manipulate weather and who knows what (ionospheric heating and such). Wouldn't true scientific process be able to question an established view? Would you trust all the science from the 1970s? They said it was cutting edge then. But then they revise it. ("We were wrong but this time we are sure so don't worry, whatever we are feeding you, and injecting you with is perfectly safe. Trust us, we are the scientists") Flat eartherism is a good thought exercise. If you can't relax what you think you know for a minute, without having an aneurism, then you might be just the kind of scientist that they are looking for to promote their agendas and products. Science is being used in a bad way and a lot of it is a really terrible source to support these objective truths that you say exist.
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. "Scientism" is a philosophical whipping boy or straw man set up by those who don't understand what science actually is. Science is simply a PROCESS by which we gain greater understanding about a phenomena. It's not a cult or a cabal. It doesn't have secret handshakes or symbols. Science is not a thing. It is a process.

Those who do science are humans (mostly). And they are as susceptible to corruption as any other human. But unlike any other process of knowledge-gain, science acknowledges this human failing. This is why it is a perpetually self-correcting process. Knowledge gain is not linear, and there are plenty of dead-end or false tangents, some few of which are even caused by overt corruption. But the process of science is to ferret this out over time. Humans have created no other method of knowledge-gain that does this.

Pointing to the state of knowledge 50 years ago and saying "AH HA! We now know they were wrong! Therefore science is corrupt!" This is a ridiculous assertion. Science works to improve our knowledge. Of course what we know today is not the same as 50 years ago. But that doesn't invalidate all knowledge. Some conclusions and knowledge of the past have now been improved, revised or completely altered. That's the point of science. Nothing is sacred. Nothing is 100% certain. This is how the process of science works.

I have no idea what you're referencing when you mention a "conspiracy theory" with regard to manipulating weather. Nor do I understand what you mean when you say "Science is being used in a bad way and a lot of it is a really terrible source to support these objective truths that you say exist." Once again, science is a process. It's not a club, or a thing. It can be use to do good or bad. Unless want to claim there is no objective truths in the universe, in which case I say, tell me about the objective truth of gravity as you step off your second-floor balcony (but not higher than that, please).
Old 08-10-2020, 21:13   #52
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

For those on here that are adamant that the Earth is round. It is not. It's an oblate spheroid. Those of us that know this laugh both at flat Earthers and round Earthers.
Old 08-10-2020, 21:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
Seriously though, are there any flat earthers who are celestial navigators?

Considering the fact that celestial navigation is entirely based on spherical trig, it would be pretty absurd if there were. Although I suppose it's not unthinkable, since one does not need to understand the trig to be able to actually do celestial. But I wouldn't want to go sailing with them.
Old 08-10-2020, 21:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
For those on here that are adamant that the Earth is round. It is not. It's an oblate spheroid. Those of us that know this laugh both at flat Earthers and round Earthers.

Actually, even that is an approximation. The Earth is much too bumpy to be classified as anything remotely spheroidal. So nyah.
Old 08-10-2020, 21:29   #55
cruiser

You agreed with: "Science has and is manipulated to meet agendas and political ends especially where there are very big $ involved "
Scientism is the new religion. I hear it everyday "I believe in Science". But most get their science from the media. Most would like to read or watch a show about how some study proved such and such, and blindly trust what they read and see. Few bother to track down the study, see what it really said, who funded it, what was the goal, who published it etc. I know professional scientists who won't do that!
Conflicts of interest: how money clouds objectivity:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472724/
Conflicts of interest of editors of medical journals:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5959187/
Skeptical of medical science reports?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4572812/
Changing ideas about gravity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...re-ncna1038671
Old 08-10-2020, 21:30   #56
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I think we know that celestial navigation is an illusion which is why we don't bother with it anymore. It never worked very well although a few would get lucky every now and then and managed to make it home.

GPS works because the earth is flat. Only complete idiots don't make it home anymore.

Now where is the TIC emoji...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-10-2020, 21:47   #57

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Would have thought the issue would have been settled when Earth was photographed from outer space.
ahh, but those pix are (all) faked don't cha know

as is anything which does not fit in with their view of the world...

cheers,
Old 08-10-2020, 21:56   #58
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Actually, even that is an approximation. The Earth is much too bumpy to be classified as anything remotely spheroidal. So nyah.

Great! Another science denier.
Old 08-10-2020, 22:16   #59

Boat: Leopard 40

The funny thing, as mentioned before, is that they have an answer for all the logical questions asked in this thread! If they cannot explain it then its a conspiracy and not real!!!

Yes it was indeed funny watching their experiments disprove their theory!

For some I also think its just a money making racket!!! (Merchandise!)
Old 08-10-2020, 22:19   #60
cruiser

Here is an article about BIG SCIENCE Weaponizing the Flat Earth Movement:
https://sciencewoke.org/mainstream-s...arth-movement/
Closed Thread