Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 04:36   #16

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Re: This has everybody stumped!

What Ziggy said. The sleeve in mine will come out.....

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:40   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Are you sure you're not pulling the sleeve with the plug? They are two parts, and both can be pulled out. Normally, the sleeve should stay in the thru-hull when you pull the plug.
Thanks to all of you - some great suggestions, and when I get to the boat I'll take a look. I'd never heard of a sleeve with the transducer as a core, but I've only put them in once before - many years ago. Both thru hulls are the same size.

I'll take a look to see if the blank is a core, and the sleeve is coming out with it. That would be great!

Pulling them with a blank on hand is no issue for those who've never done it; you might get 2 quarts of water or even a bit more, but it's not much and easily taken care of.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:07   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Measure the diameter of the other transducer and make sure it's not the same as the one you are trying to install
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
On my paddle wheel, the through hull can either be removed as a complete unit, or, the center part comes out of the "sleeve".
The bottom of the "sleeve" has a non return flap that helps to reduce the amount of water that enters the boat when the center part is removed.
See
http://www.nexusmarine.se/wp-content.../LogTH52mm.pdf

This is similar to the set up I have.
This, I believe, is the answer. I have some through-hulls for my original instruments for the depth and speed. The new instruments from B&G have a neat sleeve that allows me to insert it permanently, then install my new transducer inside the sleeve. The sole function of the sleeve is to put a small non-flooding flap in the through-hull which reduces the amount of water which enters the boat.

It is possible, especially when working by touch, to remove the larger piece (the sleeve AND transducer) which opens up a 2" hole in the boat. Not a big problem, but if you were anticipating a dribble, and instead you get a flood, it's a little disconcerting.

I think Airmar makes most of these bits on behalf of the instrument companies. Thankfully, this gives interchangeability as you move from company to company.

Chuck Hawley
Alerion Express 38 Yawl "Surprise"
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:25   #20

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

My vote goes with Nigel an Chuck. I suspect the valve assembly is either missing or the OP removed the blank by removing the nut that secures the valve assembly and thereby pulling the valve assembly with the blank rather than pulling the securing pn that holds the transducer in the sleeve.

Nigels link has great info in figures 2 and 3.

OP, a couple pix would help us help you.

Good luck my friend.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:43   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Don't see a problem. Very easy to fix. Just wrap the new transducer a couple of times with Duck tape and you're good to go.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:44   #22

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido View Post
My vote goes with Nigel an Chuck. I suspect the valve assembly is either missing or the OP removed the blank by removing the nut that secures the valve assembly and thereby pulling the valve assembly with the blank rather than pulling the securing pn that holds the transducer in the sleeve.

Nigels link has great info in figures 2 and 3.

OP, a couple pix would help us help you.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks; I agree, especially after a member on one of the trimaran groups let me know he has the same setup. It seems I'm pulling the sleeve as well as the blank. I'll know better when I get back to the boat. I'll try taking pix, but it's a small and dark space! We'll see.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:55   #23

Big question? Does the retaining ring on the top of the paddle wheel unit fit the threads on the thru hull? If it dosen't, the thru hull will have to be replaced in order for it to fit and function properly. Sounds like a PO encountered the problem and decided to fix it later.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:31   #24

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I may just be a chicken but I think you should wait until your on the beach to pull the transducer plug and make it right. It would certainly be my luck that something will jam just wrong and you will sit there until your missed at home and they finally come check on you, and who knows how long that might be!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 15:03   #25

Boat: ODAY 28

is it possible you are missing a sleeve that slows water flow when transducer is removed untill blank is installed,, suggest find the installation manual on your unit, should show all parts..
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 17:23   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I have Nexus NX2 Server & instruments but started off and still using some AutoNav Classic (branded by Nexus) displays as Autonav designed and originally built the autopilot for Silva Nexus at the time.
They have two sizes of thru hull fittings with different systems and they ask each time I have them serviced or replaced which unit I have. The log does give you a difference of boat speed through the water versus over the ground with the GPS thus current fore or against. But that is not the only advantage to having a log with the Nexus system.

Check with them, they may be able to send you the log transducer and cable that will just slip in the hole. I haven't heard of a sleeve for any of them but never had to use one.
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 09:48   #27

Boat: 33 ft Morgan oi

Duct tape
carambo46 is offline   Reply With Quote