Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 07:43   #1

Boat: Hanse 400
TimeZero Navigator on Mac

While I appreciate that this question might be like asking how many have found chickens with teeth, has anyone using TimeZero Navigator/Pro managed to get it running on the newer Macs that can't run 'BootCamp'? TZ's website states "visualisation products like Parallel are NOT supported" (their italics). However, with cruisers being a canny bunch I'm wondering if anyone's found a way.....
Ratbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:43   #2

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: TimeZero Navigator on Mac

I've been following the topic closely and it seems like nobody succeeded with new M1/M2/M3 Chips yet. Bought a cheap second hand PC for TZ.
GillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 21:41   #3

Thanks, Gilly. I had a reply from TZ saying that they no intention of developing a Mac version. Seems odd given that TZiBoat, which syncs perfectly with TZ Navigator, is designed for iOS. Probably far more resilient to have a PC dedicated solely to Navigation anyway but I rather liked doing a lot of planning away from the boat.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:12   #4

Boat: Boat

Just a suggestion on hardware. The requirements for Timezero aren't that high based on what they say on their website:

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 or Windows® 10/11 (64-bit operating system)
CPU 1.5 GHz
4GB of RAM
Video Board:
Minimum - Intel HD Graphic Chipset
Recommended - Dedicated Video Board with 1 GB VRAM or Intel HD 4th generation or above
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 or higher (1280 x 800 or above recommended)
Hard Disk: 30 GB of free space

Consider a newer (mk 4), higher spec Panasonic Toughpad. Easy to upgrade the SSD to a bigger one if you want, runs Windows 8.1 or 10 well, is 16v DC powered but 12v to 16v cables are widely available. You can put a docking cradle on your boat and one at home and take it with you. You can even run an HDMI cable from the docking cradle at home to your TV and do passage planning on the big screen. If you are of the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" school of thought, you can pick up two for the price of one modern laptop and all the connectivity infrastructure remains the same. Some have built in GPS or cellular modems, but not all.

If you don't have something else on the boat that broadcasts GPS data over wifi, get a badelf stand alone GPS which can connect to the Toughpad over bluetooth.

The docking cradles also have ethernet ports (in addition to the aforementioned HDMI port) that you can use to bring all sorts of data to it over the NEMA network.

Doing this with OpenCPN myself.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:21   #5

That's helpful; thanks Chlorox. Always best to consider the overall effect to be achieved rather than just considering one solution.