Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 19:29   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Timing for Cali to Hawaii?

Here's a different point of view, Jesse.

Imho, the end of Sept. is a little late for leaving HI, if you want a pleasant trip back to the mainland. If there is a low developing off Mexico, it can suck the Pacific High down, so that it will not be part of your journey, but you may well get NW gales, that have descended also to lower latitudes.

I was with Jim on the trip from SF to HI and return, on the Yankee 30, and it really was good with Gil (it was named) chasing us to Oahu, where we made landfall in Kaneohe Bay. We made the trip in the latter part of August, iirc.

Re-bed your hatches before you go! I really didn't like sleeping in a wet bunk. The polyester sleeping bag still insulated okay, but it was not pleasant.

Ann
Old 31-01-2019, 21:18   #17

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Timing for Cali to Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Here's a different point of view, Jesse.

Imho, the end of Sept. is a little late for leaving HI, if you want a pleasant trip back to the mainland. If there is a low developing off Mexico, it can suck the Pacific High down, so that it will not be part of your journey, but you may well get NW gales, that have descended also to lower latitudes.

I was with Jim on the trip from SF to HI and return, on the Yankee 30, and it really was good with Gil (it was named) chasing us to Oahu, where we made landfall in Kaneohe Bay. We made the trip in the latter part of August, iirc.

Re-bed your hatches before you go! I really didn't like sleeping in a wet bunk. The polyester sleeping bag still insulated okay, but it was not pleasant.

Ann
I bought Unicorn very late in the season and only had 4 weeks to prep the boat for the trip to Australia and she was not really what you might call an offshore vessel. Has a huge cockpit and a very big rig so had to be careful with the weather. I contacted Rick The Weather Guy in Hawaii to help guide me. He said it was very late in the season to leave and that's why we took extra fuel in case a hurricane came north at us. I couldn't wait another year. It was a fun trip as the sailomat paddle dropped the the bottom after a 5 days and no auto pilot. Huge jibe taking out the preventer and compass etc. So it was 4 on 4 off for the 2 off us.... just like the old days.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hawaii