Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 22:48   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Timing; NY to FL

Only did it once so don't listen to me...

Left in mid-March, arrived early April. Half inside, half out. Wonderful trip in warm clothing. Love to do it again taking more time.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 06:30   #17

Boat: Tayana FD-12

"Inside route" is still outside along NJ coast. There is still plenty of opportunity to get in trouble along NJ too late in the fall.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 06:57   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you know your boat I would leave ASAP but first prepare a detailed cruise plan including fuel and battery recharge stops. I would plan on motoring when in the ICW and strictly daylight cruising inside. Carry extra fuel, water and a stern anchor for night stops inside. ICW cruising guides are necessary to develop your plan as is calling ahead to verify planned stops and inquire about local conditions. Carry a cabin heater and heavy clothes. Know your range for fueling, battery recharging and food/water. Know drawbridge procedures. Plan right and it should be a nice cruise of a month or so. Don't omit some sightseeing stops for nice breaks.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:23   #19

The latest I have done it was leaving New Jersey about November 15, going around Sandy Hook direct to the Chesapeake non stop, and into Hampton, as the tidal flow was in the right direction, less than 300 miles, with a moderate NW wind.
The first Northeaster had already gone through and we had snow on the decks a few days earlier before leaving New Jersey.
The weather was significantly warmer on the Chesapeake, and then an easy meander down the ICW.
Get Skipper Bob guide for finding some great anchorages along the way. We like anchoring out and only go into marinas when needing groceries and laundry.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:28   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

We left New York City this time last year, went along the new jersey coast and up the Delaware and left the boat in Annapolis for a month. Then went down the Chesapeake, inside through NC, and outside to cape Canaveral with stops at Charleston and St. Augustine. It took 16 days of sailing, but that was a mix of a few 48 hour sails and other days where we stopped at night. Pretty much once we left NC, it was 5 days of sailing to get to Canaveral, but that included running in and out of the two harbors along the way. The inside is nice in NC. No problem with water police or depth. We draft 6'10" with a 62' air draft.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:32   #21

Boat: Seapiper 35

Just brought my Trawler down to Tampa from NY this past July. Your draft should not be an issue even if you go inside through Barnegat Bay to AC. Best bet would be offshore from NY to AC or Cape May. My trip was a delivery so was 100 mile days( total of 17 days) and evenings in marinas as opposed to anchoring out. I used Waterway guide on-line for marina and anchorage info https://www.waterwayguide.com
The further south you get, needless to say, the warmer it will become. Right now even in NY temps are very comfortable. Young couple from my yacht club left for FL in their Beneteau last week and will be doing mostly offshore as their mast height is 71'. They actually had to turn around the week before due to the storm that just moved north.
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 10:47   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
Thanks for the insight. 34' monohull, 4'1" draft, dodger and bimini w/connector. Probably inside as I haven't done that yet.
You shouldn't have a problem with the ICW and better for this time year with a boat your size.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 10:59   #23

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

the time is now..or asap..as it certainly is not getting warmer

the only challenge from NYC is the NJ coast. i'd pick the dismal swamp route and get as far south as fast as you can running sunup to sundown until it gets warmer..
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 11:04   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

An accurate ETA, predictable weather and warmth is best found inside of an airplane.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:45   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We went up the Delaware and over the Delaware canal in mid September. We found calm anchoring in the Delaware on the north side just downstream of the nuke. Motor in pretty close and anchor in 10 feet, well out of the current.

Plan your canal transit to be with the current or it’s very slow going. The Delaware is undeveloped low land. About mid canal there is a high bridge with a restaurant and dock on the right if you have time or are running into current. Once you reach the Chesapeake you find yourself in the playground of the better off than we on the west side. Lots to do.

We headed south and ducked into Fredrick town, Georgetown. Stayed at the Sassafras Marina by the bridge on 213. Nice place and they offered a courtesy car, WOW! We draw 7 feet. The shallowest approach showed 6. I was sweating but it was muck. Lots of places along that creek to anchor.

Put St Michaels on your list. (East side). If you join the museum you will receive steep discount at their dock in the museum yard. You can tour after hours and watch restorations. A great deal and lots of fun. There are nearby anchoring opportunities as well.

Schedule time in Annapolis at the sail boat show if you can (too late for this season I think). Annapolis is fun anyway.

It’s possible to to take your boat all the way to DC and anchor pretty close to the snake pit.

Join zuluwaterways (free) and access data for a lot of the east coast. It’s like Active Captain used to be.
https://www.zuluwaterways.com/map/38...20358718494674
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:18   #26

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
What is the latest practical time to take a sailboat south from New York to Florida? No time restraints, I can take my time.

"No time restraints" is a little foreign for me. There really is no latest practical time. You will want to watch weather but you can make the run year round. Cold is the biggest issue beyond weather. It's already chilly and on a boat with no heat it gets downright cold. If you're alone you're going to find short days as the cumulative effect of cold builds up.

For me, the day after day droning down the ICW in the cold is draining. I'm an offshore guy anyway and getting across the Gulf Stream into warmer conditions is a big deal. For the inside path I (may not be you) without a schedule would plan one day out of three somewhere you get get really warm.

I'd get four of these https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Hand-Wa.../dp/B013HLGU02 and stock up on lighter fluid. I'd have an Espar forced air diesel heater as well, but that's me.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:12   #27

I have one disagreement with a previous reply regarding the Dismal Swamp. I, personally, would avoid the Dismal Swamp route. There's no advantage to it, it takes longer and the risk to clogging your intake with all the weeds, grass and other floating debris makes me avoid it.

Mark D
Tartan 40 Sister Moon
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:29   #28

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyforreal View Post
I have one disagreement with a previous reply regarding the Dismal Swamp. I, personally, would avoid the Dismal Swamp route. There's no advantage to it, it takes longer and the risk to clogging your intake with all the weeds, grass and other floating debris makes me avoid it.

It's pretty. It's interesting for naturalists. I've long wanted to do a loop of Virginia Cut and Dismal Swamp. Something like a Ranger Tug would be perfect. 35 sm days, stopping to sightsee and eat, lots of naps. Epic. That's entirely different from trying to get South with Jack Frost sitting on your head. It's cold when it's cold.

When the goal is to get South from New York what I would do on my boat is get across the Gulf Stream as early as possible into warmer temperatures and boogie.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 11:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The weeds can’t be any worse than four foot thick, acres wide sargassum in the Caribbean. I’ve always worried but never found weed, grass etc in my Groco.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 11:55   #30

I bought an old 30' sailboat sight unseen on an eBay auction and flew from the UK to jump on board a week later. Ten days sorting her out then left Connecticutt mid October 2012 single handing her to Key West day sailing in the ICW. I wanted to see the US and meet Americans so the easy offshore route was not my thing. I spent over a week in Cape May as hurricane Sandy went over the top (an experience!). Cold up the Delaware and down Chesapeake and through the Dismal Swamp. Thanksgiving at Elizabeth City free dock - lovely. Hauled her out at Hampstead NC 5th. December (the end of my 3 month US visa) and flew back to the UK for the winter. So about six weeks from New London to a day sail short of Carolina Beach NC including hurricanes and tourist trips.
Back in early April 2013 for a week fitting out then splashed on 10th April and headed south into southerly winds - again. 15th April - Charlestown SC; 21st. April - St Augustine; 2nd. May - Fort Lauderdale so about three weeks.
So in answer to your question, about nine weeks easy day sailing ( well motoring) in rather unsettled weather.
I made some YouTube videos of the trip and costs under my handle smacksman1.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote