Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 14:06   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Timing; NY to FL

What is the latest practical time to take a sailboat south from New York to Florida? No time restraints, I can take my time.
Thanks,
Andy
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 14:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Timing; NY to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
What is the latest practical time to take a sailboat south from New York to Florida? No time restraints, I can take my time.

Thanks,

Andy

What type of boat? Full enclosure? How thick are your thermal underwear?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 14:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Offshore? ICW, draft, air draft, Power, sail?

Generally, the risk of hurricane prevents you from heading south before November 1. After that, it’s the underwear thing. If you travel ICW it will take weeks to months. If you go offshore and well east it could be a few days. We did the trip offshore Hampton, Va to BVI in great conditions, 2016, 7.5 days under sail. It may be too late to join the Salty Dawg rally from Hampton this season. It is worth having access to or subscribe to Chris Parker for weather planning no matter what you choose.

Given unlimited time, a mast below 63 feet and draft not too deep you can enjoy the ICW sights. Be sure to do the Great dismal swamp. Too late and you may need skates on deck.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 14:52   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Thanks for the insight. 34' monohull, 4'1" draft, dodger and bimini w/connector. Probably inside as I haven't done that yet.
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You’ll have a great time inside. Pick up chart books and cruising guides. Read up on on CF and Noonsite for things to know, places to stay/avoid. There are some local shenanigans by certain water cops. Make sure your Y valve is locked. If you can, get a courtesy inspection and compliance sticker from the Coast Guard Auxiliary. This will help you avoid a few nuisance inspections. Tow Boat US can tell you a lot about local knowledge. If you are not a member JOIN. This is a trip where the cost is very cheap insurance. I get good forecast multi day reports on Sailflow.com. I mentioned before, Chris Parker for weather planning.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’d leave tomorrow, but then I really dislike the cold.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:11   #7

Inside you could go anytime I would think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:21   #8

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Inside you could go anytime I would think.
Outside too provided that you've got good cold weather gear; one of our more enjoyable passages on the US east coast was NC to Florida in December. We found the US coastal weather forecasts to be comprehensive and accurate and whilst they might not be where you want to go/stop, you're rarely if ever, more than 50M from a bail-out harbour. The OP reports having no time constraints, so watch the weather, pick your slots and do it anytime; though as noted, it's going to get colder the later you leave it.
Old 16-10-2019, 18:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Outside too provided that you've got good cold weather gear; one of our more enjoyable passages on the US east coast was NC to Florida in December. We found the US coastal weather forecasts to be comprehensive and accurate and whilst they might not be where you want to go/stop, you're rarely if ever, more than 50M from a bail-out harbour. The OP reports having no time constraints, so watch the weather, pick your slots and do it anytime; though as noted, it's going to get colder the later you leave it.
Maybe yes, maybe no, roll the dice. Was caught in worst water/weather I've ever had (with good forecast) south of Hatteras once. And I've sailed down the Pacific Coast. My 47 footer was like a leaf in a washing machine. Every port and hatch dripping water, waves covering the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 19:05   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Hatteras! best to stay away from her any time of the year. For me two out of three times she was relatively benign but the other time yeow.

Once you get away from the coast and past Bermuda, it's warm out in the Atlantic.
Old 16-10-2019, 19:08   #11
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

match your variables to what you want to do; boat, time, money etc.
But:
It is all Weather.
Sort of like Warren Buffets two rules: Do not lose money; never forget rule one.
Weather.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 19:15   #12

Should you leave now, inside figure a month. Get a warm Mustang float coat,
LOL
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 19:35   #13

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
Thanks,
Andy

===

We've done the trip many times in our trawler. Our goal is to be into Chesapeake Bay by late September or early October, take our time in the Chesapeake until mid to late October, and then make the final push south depending on the hurricane outlook, trying to arrive northern Florida by early November. If we head south too early, we inevitably end up ducking from a hurricane.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 19:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Left Martha's Vineyard on Tuesday the 8th and have spent half our time hold up waiting on a weather window. Even then we had to go down LI Sound instead of outside as we had planned,.

Basically it all depends on the weather and that varies a LOT year to year. I made the trip about the same time and had warm, comfortable weather if not much wind. This year; cold, wet, rainy and blowing gales offshore.

By the way, in case you weren't already aware, the ICW starts in Norfolk VA. So unless you go all the way up Delaware Bay, across the canal and all the way back down Chesapeake Bay, from NY south you are in the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 20:52   #15

Boat: KP 46

I have left Maine twice in November, went thru the Chesapeake, once otherwie outside all the way. Weather was a bit cool, both times, a bit of weather off Cape Hatteras on one trip, stopped in Charleston, otherwise a pleasant sail both times

Left Maine Late December one time, I was to tall to go thru the Cape Cod Canal (200 ft on the main mast), so had to go way the hell east, it was a bit of a rough trip until I got just north of Hatteras, then it was okay, stopped at Savannah, then down to Lauderdale. Not a really great trip.

I left Lake Champlain early November, last boats out, put the rig back up in the Hudson, went in at C&D then back out at Beaufort, that was a nice trip.

I really dislike the intracoastal, much more relaxing offshore.

Hope you have a good sail.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote