Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 23:29   #1

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Tool available to reset AIS650 MMSI

After fruitless communication with Raymarine support on how to reprogram the MMSI on my inherited AIS650, I "found" a solution.

Raymarine's answer was

"Unfortunately, and based on the information you provided, the best option is for you to send the unit back to Raymarine. Please book a repair service here: https://www.raymarine.com/service-and-support/warranty-repairs-returns/"

I reset the AIS650 to factory default. This allowed me to enter my MMSI number using proAIS2, which is readily available. (the MMSI was now not greyed out)

The resetter program requires a windows computer and the USB micro-B cable. Nothing special. If you can already communicate with your AIS650 via proAIS2 or a terminal emulator the resetter program should work for you.

If you want the resetter program, please PM me. Happy to help. Of course no charge or commercial interest, just want to help those who have an AIS650 with an incorrect MMSI number.

Now I see many posts and notices from Raymarine that it is illegal for the end user/owner to change the MMSI number, especially in the USA. I cannot find any such official law or regulation.

I did find that Raymarine's policy of not providing a way to reset the MMSI when selling MMSI equipment makes it difficult conform to https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Using someone else's MMSI is illegal and unsafe.

See below. Anyway if you do change your MMSI its your responsibility.

"How to Update or Change an MMSI Registration
If your MMSI registration information or contact information changes for any reason, you must update your registration. If you sell your DSC-equipped radio or AIS or the boat these devices are mounted on, you must cancel your MMSI registration and should inform the new owner of the need to reregister the MMSI. This is necessary to ensure that the Coast Guard is able to contact the right persons if a distress situation were ever to occur. These registration changes can be accomplished by contacting the organization or agency which originally registered your MMSI. If you do not know which organization registered your MMSI, you can identify that organization by comparing your existing MMSI against those listed in the document MMSI ship station blocks allocated in the US (updated 16 August 2021).
"
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 15:30   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Tool available to reset AIS650 MMSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Now I see many posts and notices from Raymarine that it is illegal for the end user/owner to change the MMSI number, especially in the USA. I cannot find any such official law or regulation.

I did find that Raymarine's policy of not providing a way to reset the MMSI when selling MMSI equipment makes it difficult conform to https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Great stuff on the reset we need more of this. The cretins that sit on committees who come up with these ideas always seem to assume that baddies cannot afford to build, spoof or otherwise fool the system.

As far as I am aware it is not illegal for the end user to change the MMSI number, somewhere in the international guidelines there is a clause that requires supplier or manufacturer intervention.

Some like Raymarine use this as a way of extracting money from end users. I believe Standard Horizon have a system where they give you a one time use reset code for their DSC equipment over the phone, satisfying the supplier intervention clause.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:43   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

Jack my email is morrisbrad at comcast dot net for the google drive files.

Thank you

Brad
Bradjacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 18:45   #4

Hi,
Is it possible to share the files as well? My email is my user name at gmail.

Thanks a million!
lebnene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 20:23   #5

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Thanks for posting. We have one as well.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:08   #6

Exclamation Re: Tool available to reset AIS650 MMSI

Dear all,

I need to update the MMSI on a Raymarine AIS 650. If you can help me, i am going to thank you always. Thanks.

Best regards,
Angel
Carmucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 14:08   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

just be aware that there was an update to the Raymarine AIS units ( SRT OEM ) which changed the password sequence, teh AIS reset software floating around the Web doesn't work on the units with later firmware, it wouldn't reset mine for example.

( Note the main reason we have this issue is the US objected to user programming of the MMSI )
Old 02-03-2022, 19:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
...Now I see many posts and notices from Raymarine that it is illegal for the end user/owner to change the MMSI number, especially in the USA. I cannot find any such official law or regulation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
...As far as I am aware it is not illegal for the end user to change the MMSI number, somewhere in the international guidelines there is a clause that requires supplier or manufacturer intervention.
Here you go (posted many times before here on CF) - applies only to USians:

Quote:
The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.
47 CFR 80.231

And, yes, MMSI is part of the “static data”, I leave the sourcing of definitive evidence of such to the reader.

No commentary on the sensibility of this law, but there it is since the OP said they couldn’t find it.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:10   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.

Just interested.......

So if you buy a new AIS unit in the US does the seller set the MMSI before delivery to the customer?

Just wondering what test must be passed to be "appropriately qualified".
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:26   #10

They are supposed to. Along with boat name, length, draft, call sign, and whatever other fields are in the static data.

If you read carefully, even someone “appropriately qualified” isn’t supposed to set the data for their own boat! They have to go find someone else appropriately qualified.

Also note that this only applies to Class B units, Class A units allow user entry (because some of the “static” data changes on ships), but that entry must be password protected.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:31   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hello,
I installed the proAIS2 Software and plugged my pc into my AIS 650 and set the baud rate for the com port to 38400. When I start the software and hit the “Connect” button, at the bottom of the window it says it is connected to the proper serial port (com 6 in my case). But none of the data show up on the screen and I do not see a way the ask it to read the data from the AIS. Am I doing something wrong?
I had the MMSI changed by a qualified tech yesterday but I want to change the vessel type.
Khargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Great stuff on the reset we need more of this. The cretins that sit on committees who come up with these ideas always seem to assume that baddies cannot afford to build, spoof or otherwise fool the system.

As far as I am aware it is not illegal for the end user to change the MMSI number, somewhere in the international guidelines there is a clause that requires supplier or manufacturer intervention.

Some like Raymarine use this as a way of extracting money from end users. I believe Standard Horizon have a system where they give you a one time use reset code for their DSC equipment over the phone, satisfying the supplier intervention clause.
I have been in contact with Standard Horizon many times trying to reset my 1260gx. All they will tell me is to send it back, $50 plus shipping both ways and they may or may not be able to reset it. Who did you talk to?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:59   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450

AIS 650 update: I remove power from the unit by unplugging the Power/Data cable and the USB cable from my computer. Waited about 30 seconds then plugged them both back in and the data was there when I started the proAIS2 software and hit the “Connect” button.
Was also able to change my vessel type as well
Khargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 06:32   #14

Hi,
Is it possible to share the files as well? My email is nidorawash at gmail.com
dragos_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 17:14   #15

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I have a 2018 ish AIS650 that I need to change the vessel name data, would you share the software with me also,
thank you
Pesarsten at G mail dot com

Tags
ais

« C-MAP won't start | - »