Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2022, 12:52   #16

Re: Tools for ASA 105 Class

Another (belated) vote for the Breton Plotter. It is far more useful in a small boat than rolling or parallel rules because you can use it on any surface, large or small, even kneeling in front of a bunk cushion.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 13:53   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

I like the Power Squadron plotter. It has a compass rose on it so no need to slide or roll to a rose on the chart. You lay it on the line you're measuring and read the direction on a charted meridian. You can almost always do that without moving the plotter. The common rolling rulers have the same rose on them but most everyone rolls them to the chart rose, and as said earlier that can cause errors. For dividers I like the Weems and Plath model with the adjustment wheel in the middle. They're bigger and stay set better than some others.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35   #18

Boat: Morgan 452

I realize that I may be late on this discussion - you probably already bought whatever you are going to use - but I would recommend that you get whatever tool the instructor is going to teach to. If you are trying to use a different tool - the instructor is teaching the use of the parallel ruler, for example, but you are trying to use triangles - you are going to put yourself at a disadvantage. This would be particularly true if the instructor is not familiar with whatever tool you are using.

Early on, when I was first teaching, I had a student who was a civil engineer. She was really familiar with the use of two triangles. I had no idea at the time how to use them, so when she had questions, I had no answers. I could not tell if she was having problems with measurements or calculations, because I couldn't really understand how she was getting her measurements.

Once you have learned the techniques of the course, then branch out into whatever tool you would like to use (try a bunch - all of us have different preferences).
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:26   #19

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

One of the most useful tools I found when I took the course (other than the 'standard' things you've already mentioned) is the Power Squadron plotter that Capt jgw has mentioned. The one I have is the Weems & Plath model (https://www.landfallnavigation.com/w...yABEgJ5aPD_BwE) which also has a nice 1:80,000 scale along the long edge. Use this with a large-ish triangle or any straight edge (your parallel rulers will do).
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:03   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

You can find used stuff on Ebay.

Some of the sail schools sell gear.

Agree with the other cruisers' comment about getting TWO compasses so you can have one with black lead (one side) for marking, and another with just the two sharp points for measuring distances.

You will need a sharpener (or sandpaper) to sharpen the lead.

Get the compasses which have the thumbwheel and screw as they are easier to control and are more accurate. Any small errors in measurement multiply over distances. You can manually stretch them open as well without using the thumbwheel.

You will need to learn to use parallel rulers as u will find them on every boat u rent. so get one as well . They are not expensive.

Also, consider getting a pair of navigation triangles. These are WAY easier to use than parallel rulers and do not slip on the chart like rulers.

Here are some protractor videos:

Also, watching the various videos on YouTube videos covering Navigation helps.

The "guru" for Navigation is the Maryland School of Sailing. ASA uses their course work (Tom Tursi) for the ASA 105 course.

If you want to go full deep on Navigation, there is also the Starpath School of Navigation in Seattle which has an online course. This course is very intense, as it has a ton of information and a lot of practice exercises. I have yet to finish the course (3 chapters to go) as my boat project now consumes all of my free time..

https://www.starpath.com/catalog/courses/1703c.htm

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:15   #21

Boat: Amel 50

There's little to add to the discussion on the main tools as everything has been covered. However, often overlooked, I strongly recommend you buy a good eraser. Erasers that smudge, leave dirty crumblings behind or just don't erase well are as frustrating as having tools that don't work well.

The best, IMHO, is the Staedtler Mars!

https://www.amazon.com/STAEDTLER-Pla...ts%2C99&sr=1-3
Old 02-01-2023, 09:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
There's little to add to the discussion on the main tools as everything has been covered. However, often overlooked, I strongly recommend you buy a good eraser. Erasers that smudge, leave dirty crumblings behind or just don't erase well are as frustrating as having tools that don't work well.

The best, IMHO, is the Staedtler Mars!

https://www.amazon.com/STAEDTLER-Pla...ts%2C99&sr=1-3
DITTO.

And a metal erasing guide:
https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Stainle...2679952&sr=8-5
cheers
Old 02-01-2023, 09:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinLight View Post
Hello all,

Checking in on recommended source for quality tools for my ASA105 Coastal Navigation course. I am not planning to cast off for a circumnavigation anytime soon, but I also to not want to buy cheap items.

I am looking at this set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IMWWZG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Any recommendations?

From the course requirements:

Rolling Ruler (or Parallel Rules)

Dividers

Several pencils and a large eraser (I have this)

Calculator (I have this)

Thank you in advance
Rolling rulers are ok on a desk in a classroom but difficult on a small boat in a seaway. You should learn with what works well in application. That would be parallel rules or triangles.

For dividers, the ones in the Amazon link showed a screw adjustment like a compass. I think you would find that slow. Stick with standard marine dividers.

It’s good to see people still learning the basics. Too many boaters today think navigation is a video game.
Krogen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 22:19   #24

If you choose parallel rule
Get the Capt Feilds patten ones with the lines and protractor incorporated.
Much easier to use and much more accurate

If you can find a Breton Plotter they are very easy to use both in classroom and on a boat.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 13:30   #25

So to provide and update. Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I was able to find quite a haul on eBay for a collection of tools and a very nice condition book. I know this is overkill for this class, but the deal was for a whole lot of tools and it was a very good price. I picked up the Amazon set as well as the tool roll to keep everything organized. Classes start on the 25th.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iy_...ew?usp=sharing
TravelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 13:57   #26

[QUOTE=TravelinLight;3728228]So to provide and update. Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I was able to find quite a haul on eBay for a collection of tools and a very nice condition book. I know this is overkill for this class, but the deal was for a whole lot of tools and it was a very good price. I picked up the Amazon set as well as the tool roll to keep everything organized. Classes start on the 25th.

I have that book as well. It has some good exercises in it.

cheers

Tags
asa