Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 05:14   #1

Boat: Hunter 28.5
Trouble deciding on Ipad Nav apps

Just acquired a basic Ipad (with gps) to use solely on our boat. I'm struggling to decide on whih app to use for navigation. I'm trying to choose between Navionics, iNavX or Isailor.

I've done a bunch of reading up on forums but a lot of the discussions are fairly old and it seems like some of the apps have gone through recent changes (for the worst)

Anyone currently using one or more of these and able to throw me some wisdom?
TLMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:22   #2

Re: Trouble deciding on Ipad Nav apps

Recommend that you seriously look at Aqua Maps, by far better than all the rest. Especially with the add-on function of having the US Army Corp of Engineers depth soundings reflected on the charts in an easy to use color shading. Also, since you are on the east coast of the US, their charts include the Explorer Charts for the Bahamas. It is also worth looking at the Facebook forum: ICW Cruising Guide by Bob 423, who has written the book on ICW cruising, and uses and explains the Aqua Maps app. Aqua Maps also includes Active Captain and the Waterway
Guide. -Greg
gma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:26   #3

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

I have both iNavX and the Navionics Boating HD apps and use them both. The iNavX app hosts Explorer charts for the Bahamas which I prefer over the Navionics charts for some things and it is much better at integrating AIS data. The Navionics app, however, is much better for east coast cruising because it has the Active Captain info and really good charts, easy user interface, etc.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:28   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

In Georgia and assuming any ICW travel, AquaMaps USA/Master is really useful... because it can also display the most recent USACE survey data right there on the charts. It also includes Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain markers...

-Chris
Old 24-12-2020, 06:26   #5

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use iSailor for navigation. I like this better than navionics. I also use logbook app for automatic log keeping.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:02   #6

Boat: Rival 36

I have tried most of them and alternate between Weather 4D and TZ iBoat. Weather 4D because, as its name suggests, it combines weather and navigation and TZ iBoat as it links to the Furuno wireless radar which I have on board. Weather 4D uses raster charts seamlessly if you prefer them and TZ has vector charts. Both connect easily to boat instruments and AIS.

Used to use iNavX primarily with Navionics charts but I’m less keen on Navionics now since the Garmin takeover. I’m not a great fan of Garmin and its operations.

My iPad and iPhone are my main means of electronic navigation. I know you are based in the United States but I also think Imray Tides Planner and Navily are really useful, particularly in Europe. And of course the Cruisers Sailing App. Good luck. Martin
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:21   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

In Savannah, if you plan on going north or south on the AICW you will need AquaMaps. Navionics is what I use for trip planning and routing, but I also run AquaMaps simultaneously on another iPad.
BTW, a used iPad without phone or gps capability will run both apps just fine with an external gps input. I use either a WiFi connection to my Vesper AIS or a Bluetooth connection to an external hockey puck gps. Buy the cheapest used pad you can find, the Bluetooth gps is not expensive either on Amazon.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 08:59   #8

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

The best iPad navigation system rather depends on what you want to do and how you want to use the iPad.

I have iSailor on my iPad Air 2. I particularly like the iSailor charts which I think are much better than the Navionics ones which I have on a static chartplotter at the chart table.

I don’t use iSailor for passage planning by which I mean, inputing lots of waypoints to make a route.

Where it comes into its own is close chart work from the cockpit (my boat is tiller steered so it’s not easy to put a decent sized chart plotter in the cockpit without cutting a big panel out of the cockpit). I find iSailor very, very good when arriving at or leaving an unfamiliar port, or for checking precisely where I am especially when there are depth restrictions or navigational hazards. It has a level of detail and precision that I find a lot better than Navionics. iSailor was invaluable when leaving a narrow French creek at 1am a couple of years ago. You could see the depth contours changing in real time.

You need to check what charts are available for it. It has quite a wide range – and they are a lot cheaper than Navionics. You used to be able to download the iSailor system for free and then buy the charts you need. You need to check whether that’s still the case. If so, you can download iSailor and check whether it has the charts you want.

The only drawback with this system – especially on the old iPads - is that the GPS is battery hungry and the iPad battery life is limited and charging can be slow. The newer iPads have much better battery life. I now also have a 12v socket at the deck instrument panel.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

I use Garmin’s ‘Active Captain’ app. as it talks to my Garmin chart plotter.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:25   #10

I use AquaMaps most of the time now. It was a good upgrade from my Garmin app. It is easy to update charts, and I have all the Active Captain and Waterway Guide info as well.

Also, I sometimes like the look of the old paper charts, so I keep iSailGPS running too. (not sure if that is the same as the iSailor app referenced above.)
ScubaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 09:46   #11

Boat: DownEaster 38

To each his own! I like Navionics for good visual clarity and ability to sync across various platforms: chart plotter, cell phone, tablet, desktop, etc. Not cheap for out side USA. I also use C-Map in a similar way. iNavX is good, too, but rather techie, I found.
Most important to me is to pick one and stick to it. They all are basically the same, so its best to get totally familiar with one brand. Enjoy.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:43   #12

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

iPad Charts I Use...

1. Aqua Charts (for all the reasons listed above)
2. Navionics Sonar (for cross checking other charts)
3. Garmin /Active Captain (Garmin Charts are on my Chartplotters)

I find using multiple iPad charts essential to validate information and fill in the blanks when one of the iPad chart programs are lite on information , especially depths snd hazards.

Of use use an iPad for navigation and reference be sure to get an external GPS, such as Bad Elf. Internal GPS precision is barely adequate as long as you have cell phone connectivity. Without cell phone reception GPS by iPad alone is seriously downgraded.

Weather Apps..

Again I have multiple iPad weather apps because I just can’’t make up my mind.

1. Favorite all around is Windy.
2. Like Predict Winds (can plot optimal departure and routes)
3. Weather.com (nice for local weather)
4. Windfinder (quick snapshot for coming days).

Tides and Currents

Many problems grams have tided and currents built in to their apps. However for a stand-alone I like Ayetides

Weather Radar and Lightning

1.NOAA Weather Radar Pro
2. Lightning

Good Luck
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 13:49   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have Garmin / Active Captain, Navionics, and Aquamaps. I use Navionics and Aquamaps, and I sometimes use Garmin because I got a cheap Garmin chartplotter for my nav station plotter, and the Garmin app talks to the below deck plotter. Navionics is great for east coast US, but you want Explorer Chartbooks for Bahamas, and I have that on my helm chart plotter in C-Map. If I only had an iPad, I would get an app that will allow you to use Explorer if you're headed to the Bahamas. From a usability standpoint, Aquamaps is probably easiest, but there's not much difference really between three. Also, if I only had an iPad, I would get some sort of back-up device. Batteries die, devices die; I had a Furuno chart plotter die on me once, leaving the iPad as my primary.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 15:00   #14

Boat: C&C 30

This is a great thread, but in my opinion, most of the boats systems will change to be iPad based. With mag safe charging on the iPhone and soon iPads, there will be no reason to buy tech that will be outdated the day you buy it.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 16:28   #15

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
This is a great thread, but in my opinion, most of the boats systems will change to be iPad based. With mag safe charging on the iPhone and soon iPads, there will be no reason to buy tech that will be outdated the day you buy it.
I certainly agree that it's headed that way. However, integrating AIS, Radar, and AP is still not something that is possible with an iPad without special expertise / accessories. But there is no reason they couldn't be if everything is wireless.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad