Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 08:29   #346

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: U.S. Navy ship goes aground due to bad charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think the Navy needs to give their navigators some positive incentive--find an error in a chart or navigation system and get a promotion.
Would everyone be an admiral then?
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 13:21   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think the Navy needs to give their navigators some positive incentive--find an error in a chart or navigation system and get a promotion.
I second this motion.
NavyOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 18:08   #348

Boat: Farrier f27

If they need that for incentive, I'd say we have lead as to why it all "went to Hell in a hand basket". Apparently there wasn't any incentive by anyone inboard to correct the track or any behavior on the watch.
In response to an earlier post, a QMOW was included in the "hanging" and he may have been an 18 yr old w/6 mos service.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 00:57   #349
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think, like someone has stated,these are lies that must be told in order to keep up apperances...I guess its just coincedence that the PI Navy gets a boat stuck on a reef ,the chinese navy gets stuck on a reef and the US navy gets stuck on a reef and all in the same geografic area ,in the hottest, highly contested sea lanes in the world (second to the straights of Hormus) If you want to build or install something and you dont want to tell everyone whats going on, make it look like a disaster has happened and you need to address it,forest fires come to mind,then you have a blanket of smoke to do what ever it is you need to do where no one can see you because of the smoke..I belive the US recovered a russian(soviet)submarine this way a few years back..Howard Huges made a big ship that was operating under the pretext of oil exploration,they then docked over the sunken vessel and then pulled her up from the bottom of the sea and brought it to a facility where it could be examined...Could be a good way to get feet(flippers) on the ground when a place is being contested by different countrys also..Believe half of what you see kind of thing...
I would so like this to be true But bearing in mind the same govt appears to have recently been surprised that it is possible (and legal!) to travel internationally with no valid passport then I have my doubts .

Probably the spate of incidents due to something like an increased presence from all sides in an area which has not been charted as well as other waters leading to both higher numbers of vessels and using more crew who are both unfamiliar with the waters and having to navigate well (not simply follow what the sat nav says).

The Truth is out there! - but it's usually dull .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 06:00   #350
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The Truth is out there! - but it's usually dull
as teh saying goes, when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras
Old 24-06-2013, 18:02   #351
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would so like this to be true But bearing in mind the same govt appears to have recently been surprised that it is possible (and legal!) to travel internationally with no valid passport then I have my doubts .

Probably the spate of incidents due to something like an increased presence from all sides in an area which has not been charted as well as other waters leading to both higher numbers of vessels and using more crew who are both unfamiliar with the waters and having to navigate well (not simply follow what the sat nav says).

The Truth is out there! - but it's usually dull .
China seems to think its true,they have a bead on the PIs as it is with the Scarbourgh shoals and the recent "murder" of the Tiawanese fisherman a few weeks back..So what does Tiawan and China do when Japan ,Vietnam,PIs etc gang up on them and say that they have no claim to half of the South China sea ? Might be a good way to unite the "two Chinas"!?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, navy