Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 08:00   #121

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: VENDÉE GLOBE round the world race

Yes, I understand. Converting a Routing to a Route and then "optimize" or "simplify" the "Route" algorithm does not consider "Coasts" or Land. I appreciate that some POI's in the Routing ---> to Route are flagged as "not simplifiable". This a sensible approach.

You are very patient explaining these things. When I hover over the boat with the cursor there is a line "Tendency at esteem: increasing, hauling". What does this mean?

Also when I hover the cursor over neighbors boats I see Loch 1h: 10.87, Loch 2h: 31.27, Loch 24h:211.63 What does Loch mean? What units?
Is there a way to see the comparable for my boat?

Thank you and good sailing.
Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 08:55   #122

No problem explaining, and for sure at the end of this race you will be an expert

The tendency at esteem compare the last grib data at the boat position with the one at the end of the esteem and tells you if the wind is going to be stronger/lower easing/hauling. Maybe the english translation for "Forcissant/Mollissant" and "Adonner/Refuser" is not quite perfect...

The loch 1h etc are in miles and tells you the distance made for that last period of time. You can find these data for yourself in the race dialog.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:03   #123

Maitai, Thank you for the explanations/definitions, very helpful. Here are some thoughts on the word definitions for you to consider:

Esteem = (noun) estimation, estimation, évaluation, estime, opinion, judgement, considération, estimate
"In qtVLM "tendency at esteem" compares the last grib data at the boat position with the one at the end of the esteem and tells you if the wind is going to be stronger/lower easing/hauling." (=easing/increasing?)

Maybe the English translation for "Forcissant/Mollissant"
increasing/decreasing? (Mollisant is "easing off") (Croissant is increasing)

and "Adonner/Refuser" is not quite perfect...
adonner = (verb) engage
refuser = (verb ) refuse, decline, turn down, deny

Loch = (noun) loch, loch, log?
I think we would call it a Log or Logbook.
..The distance made for that last period of time ... in miles (History)
enregistrer - verb register, record, log, check in, tape, write down.
registre - noun record, log, book, logbook, blotter

We also use terms for wind "Backing" and "Veering"?(This may be off-subject.)

Backing wind NOAA's National Weather Service - Glossary
Backing Winds - Winds which shift in a counterclockwise direction with time at a given location (e.g. from southerly to southeasterly), or change direction in a counterclockwise sense with height (e.g. westerly at the surface but becoming more southerly aloft). The opposite of veering winds.
In storm spotting, a backing wind usually refers to the turning of a south or southwest surface wind with time to a more east or southeasterly direction. Backing of the surface wind can increase the potential for tornado development by increasing the directional shear at low levels.

Veering wind NOAA's National Weather Service - GlossaryVeering - A clockwise shift in wind direction (for example, south winds shifting to the west).

Backing vs Veering Winds (misuse of terms?) [Archive] - Stormtrack forum 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Chris- Those definitions are a little misleading in the context of severe weather forecasting. Veering and backing can be used in a couple different ways:

1) Change in wind direction with time- If someone says that the sfc winds are veering, that would mean the surface winds are turning more southwesterly with time. If the surface winds are backing, that would mean they're turning more southeasterly with time, which would be more conducive to tornadoes. This is how veering and backing are typically used in severe-wx forecasting.

2) Change in wind direction with height- a veering wind profile (or turning with height) is conducive to thunderstorm rotation. Example- southerly winds at the surface, southwesterly winds at 700mb and westerly winds at 500mb.

Thickness and Thermal Wind http://www.aos.wisc.edu/~aalopez/aos101/wk12.html
Backing and veering at bottom. http://www.aos.wisc.edu/~aalopez/aos101/wk12.html#winds

Are backing and veering the same in both Hemisphere's ? I don't think so.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:34   #124

Screen Shot PNG's -Boy do I like this shortcut for creating png screenshots. Menu items QtVlm / Screenshot OR Ctrl-E.

Here's something a little strange. I have converted a Routing into a Route and optimized and sent it to the Autopilot. Then later I created the Blue Routing and changed it to a Route, but did not send it to the autopilot because it was very similar. Since then time has past and a Red Bold route back to the Blue Route start is being created. Is it red bold because of the land?

- I am guessing that this is a normal condition.
- I am just going to delete the Blue Route because is is Passe, not current and cannot be used.

I note that if you have created Routing that you would like to keep before shutting down qtVlm, it is perhaps best to export them to a file, because they will be lost otherwise. I will try that next time rather than converting to a route which becomes confusing like this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vendee-Route-BoldRed.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	49754  
Old 15-11-2012, 11:40   #125

You can freeze them also. But in fact if you want to review them in a couple of days/weeks i'ts better to export them.
Concerning the translation how funny For instance I was sure 120% that loch was an english word, never looked for a translation... It sounds english isn't it?
Old 15-11-2012, 12:23   #126

Here's an example where a Routing was run, (--without the blockade on, I just created it again afterwards!) and the boat ran into the African continent. I'm going to run it again with the blockade on. ...They're a guy sailing back and forth inside the blockade in better wind and I thought I'd do it too, but its too risky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vendee-Routing-HitsLand.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	49755  
Old 15-11-2012, 12:49   #127

Boat: HR382
Hi Rick,
before programming the autopilot you must avoid a route with a bold red track.
I do this by deleting some of the POIs which are too close to land. After that you can do the normal procedure of programming the autopilot
Hartmut
hwecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 12:49   #128

Ok, because this guy sails so close to the land in good wind, I decided to make the barrier closer to land. Then did two Routings where the route used the barrier as a straight guide for where to go (no strandings at this point). Then convert it to Route and immediately the many tacks cause a strandings and Red Bold. I did not optimize or simplify, the conversion of the Routing to a Route created the tacks and the Red Bold.

So because the tacking appears to occur along the Centerline of the new Route, it overlaps on to land. Perhaps if there is a check for a Barrier, the tack could occur AT the barrier rather than after it?

--Do I have to set Options / Settings / Boat # of Cranks to less when boat is close to the Coast? (what does this do?)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vendee-NewBarrier-NewRoute-BoldRed.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	49756  
Old 15-11-2012, 12:57   #129

Here is what a stranding is like. Boat name in Red. I've seen this happen to him before. Did not know what it was. I am trying to avoid this 15 minute stop penalty. Two things would help along a coast.

1. Beacons that could support two barricade lines to two other beacons
2. Beacons that could be right clicked and grabbed and moved by dragging with the lines following.
3. Tacking that tacks immediately (or within one or two cranks) as soon as it hits a barricade. Presently I think it just has barricade as the centerline of the tacking. Changing this would make location of the barricade more intuitive.

Thanks.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vendee-Stranding-15minStop.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	49757  
Old 15-11-2012, 13:12   #130

I had another idea. Maybe the presence of a Beacon Line or multiple beacon line, could tell the program to do land proximity checking when performing Route optimization/simplification in just that area?
Old 15-11-2012, 13:17   #131

Okay he is still stranded and there's only 10mn between us.
I've made a new Routing, converted to Route, optimized and simplified and there is one tack that is a little close for comfort, perhaps I should do it again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vendee-Stranded-15min-stiill.png
Views:	125
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	49759  
Old 15-11-2012, 13:25   #132

Routing module is not intended to drive you for the next 10mn or so It gives some hints about general strategy. For tactics and go around rock and such you have to be in manual mode. Esteem (beacon) is there for that, it's quite precise. But close to land you have to be on it, no sleeping allowed.
Old 15-11-2012, 13:42   #133

Maitai -

You're english is excellent, wish I had better French. English is ambiguous and contextual I think. Lox is seasoned salmon, also a navigation term.

Nice to know that you can Freeze a Route as well as export. I think I will be freezing routes for immediate reference.

Hartmut- Thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Before programming the autopilot you must avoid a route with a bold red track...deleting some of the POIs which are too close to land. After that you can do the normal procedure of programming the autopilot
Old 15-11-2012, 13:50   #134

Under Boat / Races settings sometimes the Top 10 Boats does not seem to show for some reason.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:26   #135

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

wonder how these guys sleep....
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race