Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 12:43   #106

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Vendee Globe - the Real Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Interestingly and surprisingly to me, many seeking this challenge actually admit to having no great love of sailing. It is the challenge they are rising to. Also its a sport "not carried out against the elements, but because of them". So yes, these competitors are a rare breed!
?

I have listened to interviews with Desjoyeaux, Riou, Stamm, Dick and I can remember them talking of their love of sailing, ocean and boats.

I bet it takes all sorts to make up the VG crowd and I would love to hear the names of those that I should not bet my money on!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 14:53   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Interesting that the skipper on Team Plastique, Alessandro Di Benedetto, was sailing his 21' single handed around the globe during the last Vendee Globe. He lost his mast and rebuilt it and continued home.

Most of the skippers have talked of their love of being at sea. They are more at home there than they are on land.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 22:34   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
?
I have listened to interviews with Desjoyeaux, Riou, Stamm, Dick and I can remember them talking of their love of sailing, ocean and boats.

I bet it takes all sorts to make up the VG crowd and I would love to hear the names of those that I should not bet my money on!
b.

Sorry Barnakiel, I over exaggerated, not "many" in this race, just one. I read the interview before I was familiar with the competitors, so the name did not stick in my mind. I have searched in vain for the link to the interview and I have given up (hate not being able to back things up).
The comment he made was something along the lines of enjoying the challenge of extreme sports and the competition, rather than specifically sailing.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 01:41   #109

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Sorry Barnakiel, I over exaggerated, not "many" in this race, just one. I read the interview before I was familiar with the competitors, so the name did not stick in my mind. I have searched in vain for the link to the interview and I have given up (hate not being able to back things up).
The comment he made was something along the lines of enjoying the challenge of extreme sports and the competition, rather than specifically sailing.
If I had to guess ... maybe Alex Thompson?
Old 27-11-2012, 01:56   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"The perfect night! After an impeccable sunset the cloud colour was extra-ordinary. The night is lifted and the moon shines bright almost full and illuminates the bridge almost like daylight! The sea is calm, the boat glides effortlessly at 11 knots and it is good I ate outside leaning against the fleet 500 to watch the clouds over the moon, what happiness! I'll sleep a little, but I hope the show will continue when I wake up in 1an hour and a half. Sweet dreams. See you tomorrow," Tanguy de Lamotte (Initiatives cœur) confided in a message last night.
There is a nice quote from de Lamotte.
Old 27-11-2012, 02:37   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yes . There is a guy who loves his sailing!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:00   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yep he capture the joy of being on a boat. IMO there is nothing like watching the moon rise while on a boat while enjoying a nice meal. Though I am usually at anchor not moving along at 11 knots and then going to sleep for an hour and a half like de Lamotte and the others in this race do. I don't know how these guys actually can sleep that long with the boat moving that fast. I get nervous and uneasy going down below after 30 seconds to make a sandwich with the boat doing four or five. Though I guess in a race like this after awhile sleep comes easy due to lack of a normal schedule.
Old 27-11-2012, 04:56   #113

Quote:
You are actually bang on, in the broader context. I can remember reading books from some distinguished ocean sailors where it was clear that they found no joy in sailing and that their whole story was about being "the first to ..." and about the challenge of 'the project'.

One of my fave online interviews are those in last VOR (probably still available on Youtube VOR channel). I listened to Cammas and though: man, this guy is ALWAYS smiling, always so very excited about being there doing top notch sailing. I also loved the take of Ken Read.

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-11-2012, 08:01   #114

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Interesting observation today 27 Nov at 14:00 UTC.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captured_001 Nov. 27 13.56.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	50353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captured_002 Nov. 27 14.14.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	50354  

Old 27-11-2012, 08:10   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, and several of the others are taking the route you see while one is following le Cleach. However one of the comments today was that the winds aren't doing what the grib files are saying.
Old 27-11-2012, 13:07   #116

The winds are never doing what the gribs are saying; but our idea of what the next 12-24-36... hrs will bring comes exclusively from grib forecast. You either take it or reject it and then in 12 hours or so you can see if your decision was a fancy or else a 'deep insight' ;-). I can tell you 6/10 following the grib/polar routing wins and that's enough to follow the gribs every time, unless you know there is a flaw (like e.g. using grib frcst in coastal areas).

The split comes since the chasing ones could not get the leader by pure sailing speed. BP is clearly the fastest in these conditions and so the chasing ones elected to trust the gribs/polar routing to outdo BP.

So to say it is a mix of your position within the fleet and your risk tolerance levels. Very similar to investments.

b.
Old 28-11-2012, 05:01   #117
cruiser

I have a lot of respect for these guys, in a little more then an amazing 2 weeks these guys sail from France to Rio de Janeiro.

Good winds guys.

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 05:42   #118

Today´s report shows Banque Populaire still in the lead but heading into a poor wind area doing presently 11.2 kn. Virbac Paprek is ´right on the button´ as far as the optimized route is concerned,also concuring with the visual web report,doing all of 15.2 kn. Interesting race.

Attachments from my desktop as well as my Galaxy 10.1 Tab

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captured_001 Nov. 28 11.14.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	50402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captured_002 Nov. 28 11.16.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	50403  

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-28-11-25-44.png
Views:	178
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	50404  
Old 28-11-2012, 06:11   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You are actually bang on, in the broader context. I can remember reading books from some distinguished ocean sailors where it was clear that they found no joy in sailing and that their whole story was about being "the first to ..." and about the challenge of 'the project'.

One of my fave online interviews are those in last VOR (probably still available on Youtube VOR channel). I listened to Cammas and though: man, this guy is ALWAYS smiling, always so very excited about being there doing top notch sailing. I also loved the take of Ken Read.

Cheers,
b.
I think a lot of people who spend a lot of time on the water either working or racing events like this don't find the leisurely cruising most of us cruisers do that enjoyable. I know one tugboat captain who got very upset when his wife planned a charter sail for his birthday. Last thing he wanted to do was spend more time on the water. One thing is for sure I'd never let one of the Vendee Globe sailors use my boat. I think I'd be lucky to get it back in one piece.
Old 28-11-2012, 06:54   #120

And here,the same grib in visual form..

It´s the same as an X-ray,you´ve gotta know HOW to read it!!

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captured_003 Nov. 28 12.51.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	50405  

Tags
race