Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51   #16

Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Take perhaps a look at tthe Sailproof SP8 (readable in sunlight, waterproof, etc). Specially made for sailing and comments are very good.
It is a 8" . They are working on a 10".

I'm using a 7" Samsung . I've crossed oceans, sailed coasts and inner waterways with it ( even a year without depth sounder). Size was never a problem, but everyone is different.

Link: https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:14   #17

Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

I used a refurbed iPad 2 for the Loop. Mounted it with a suction cup Ram Mount on the bulk head next to the wheel. Worked great, used my Garmin 1042(??) chart plotter as back up. Worked great. It never fell off even while getting my ass handed to me in rough water. Plus when I got to a place with WiFi I used it to check me email, pay bills etc.

While not an Apple Fan Boy, the iPad was cheap and did the job.
If you go this way be sure you get an iPad that has the black plastic strip on top, this tells you that it has a built in GPS.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 13:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
Take perhaps a look at tthe Sailproof SP8 (readable in sunlight, waterproof, etc). Specially made for sailing and comments are very good.
It is a 8" . They are working on a 10".

I'm using a 7" Samsung . I've crossed oceans, sailed coasts and inner waterways with it ( even a year without depth sounder). Size was never a problem, but everyone is different.

Link: https://sailproof.shop/rugged-tablet/
I was very interested in the sailproof before buying the Samsung, but they are a new company and I couldn't find any reviews on it.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 13:43   #19

Boat: Pearson 323

From my testing and experience two 9.7” iPads side by side work best for navigation. Close up zoom in on one side and over all route, radar, marina data on the other. Works very well traveling coastal and ICW. Offshore you can almost turn one off until it’s time to enter a harbor, cut, or other landfall. I believe that iPad nav apps are superior to those on android ever when comparing the same app on the two different platforms. But that’s just personal preference.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 16:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
What is a decent one that will not break the bank? It needs to have built in GPS with antenna . I will add the CD with all the usa charts with a nav program. Needs a sunlight viewable screen too. Thanks.
I use Sony Xperia Z2 10 inch. Water resistant and clear viewing in sunlight. Currently loaded with Memory Map which I like for NZ.
Kalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 17:02   #21

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Love the negative of those that perhaps do not sail with a tablet , my Lenovo works fine , I put a shade over if I really need to read my plotter,. It is in a waterproof case and is connected to a DC. Water proof output at the pedestal , I use open cpn, navily, and others, GPS is great my AIS is on the network , no issues, four years and still works
I see no need for one plotter to have my GPS, AIS, RADAR , AUTO pilot on one electronics
I never use anyoff it anyways, I look at my paper maps plan a course and look out with my eyes. , I never understood the need for so much electronic equipment, at a helms mans eye level ,. Stop switch it all off and look out
OFC in busy channels , trade routes the English channel in of devices are valuable and we are not arguing about that , but in an open sea in good light , why are you running all this fancy stuff in the first place
I do not think I've ever switched my AIS. On or my radar ☺️
Sure your tablet is great and works for you. There are some great apps that just do not work out on a dedicated plotter as well.

That being said nothing beats the reliability of a built in chart plotter.

What I do not get is the need for these huge chart plotters. Sure their nice, but you could have a 9" full feature chart plotter and a iPad Pro or Galaxy Tab Active Pro 10.1 for the cost of a 12-15" plotter.

If you can afford it both is where it is at. IMHO
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 17:04   #22

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

You won't get a chartplotter with a 10" screen for a fistful of dollars. Decent used chartplotters can be like hen's teeth. The Galaxy Tab Actives are absolutely brilliant. Replaceable battery, rugged, touch screen that still works when wet and good daylight readable screen so there's little else to ask for. The only real negative is they have, imo, too many open ports exposed to saltwater. This can be rectified to an extent by utilising something like a RAM cradle which provides a reasonable level of sealing or just simply placing the unit inside a self sealing zip bag.

You can pick up 2 year old Actives for 1/4 to 1/3rd the new price, making them an attractive alternative. There's also an 8" version (I own one of these) which, I think, is actually the better choice as the reduction in screen size seems to only be in the Y plane and there is more than enough screen real-estate for displaying charts.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 18:16   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Arrow Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Quote:
Love the negative of those that perhaps do not sail with a tablet , my Lenovo works fine , I put a shade over if I really need to read my plotter,. It is in a waterproof case and is connected to a DC. Water proof output at the pedestal , I use open cpn, navily, and others, GPS is great my AIS is on the network , no issues, four years and still works
I see no need for one plotter to have my GPS, AIS, RADAR , AUTO pilot on one electronics
I never use anyoff it anyways, I look at my paper maps plan a course and look out with my eyes. , I never understood the need for so much electronic equipment, at a helms mans eye level ,. Stop switch it all off and look out
OFC in busy channels , trade routes the English channel in of devices are valuable and we are not arguing about that , but in an open sea in good light , why are you running all this fancy stuff in the first place
I do not think I've ever switched my AIS. On or my radar ☺️
Hey , I can do celestial nav , I can even calculate longitude by the lunar distance method. ( I like ancient nav techniques ) I use a raymarine mfd , ais , radar at the helm , I have a custom Android ( ASU’s tinker 2) repeating at the charttable, I bring up repeaters on my iphone, iPad and nav apps on my windows pc linked to the boats WiFi. I run navionics and Imray charting apps as well.

It’s a digital world out there folks.
Old 06-10-2021, 18:38   #24

DO NOT get some totalitarian chinese POS, show a little patriotism and conscience (slave labour, religious persecution, 1984 Orewllian government). I have sailed with whatever Samsung I had laying around. Every phone i have had has run OpenCPN and obtained weather and whatever needed, and survived the sea quite well.

Respectfully

Lem
MatthLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 22:11   #25

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s now cheaper to put a entry level MFD in rather then a high end sunlight readable tablet.

And what’s a CD
Have two new Axiom MFD's on board but for navigation I definitely prefer iPad in a rugged case (~$30) and anti glare film and a good mount - use Navionics subscription. The expensive SD cards for the Raymarine MFD's are a real pain and planning and studying a course on the iPad is way way better than fighting the stupid MFD functionality and poor UX for Navionics (vs. the iPad app UX)

I regularly use the MFDs for the radar, AIS and other inputs. Their nav functionality is close to useless.
Old 06-10-2021, 22:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I was very interested in the sailproof before buying the Samsung, but they are a new company and I couldn't find any reviews on it.
I can imagine. They started selling in this year and are based in Belgium. Most users are for the moment non Englishs peaking. This is a link to a topic of the French CF, Hisse et Ho.

https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/sailing/partage-dexperiences-sur-lusage-de-la-tablette-de-8-pouces-sailproof
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:16   #27

Quote:
Love the negative of those that perhaps do not sail with a tablet , my Lenovo works fine , I put a shade over if I really need to read my plotter.
I've been sailing with tablets exclusively the past 5 years and the negativity stems for 100% from personal experience. Even with those limitations I didn't get a dedicated chart plotter and stayed with the tablet, but just ignoring them won't do anyone a good service.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:23   #28
Nearly an old salt

What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my benet

Again , who doesn’t sail these days without a tablet. I look around my 36 , that’s three smart phones , two tablets , a android touch screen , a MFD , two laptops that’s just me and the wife. , if the adult kids turn up the tech doubles !!

Why are we having these either or discussions these days.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why are we having these either or discussions these days.
In my case, the discussion wasn't about tablet yes/no, it was about MFD yes/no.

MFD are quite expensive, often underwhelming and often a hassle to keep up to date down the road. Marine electronic companies seem to enjoy orphaning their products as quickly as possible so that you have to invest into the newer version of their wonderful products.

After long considerations, I decided to spend the money for an MFD in other ways to improve the enjoyment of my boat and went with tablet only. This even with all the drawbacks of tablets have on a sailboat.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:11   #30
Nearly an old salt

What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my benet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
In my case, the discussion wasn't about tablet yes/no, it was about MFD yes/no.

MFD are quite expensive, often underwhelming and often a hassle to keep up to date down the road. Marine electronic companies seem to enjoy orphaning their products as quickly as possible so that you have to invest into the newer version of their wonderful products.

After long considerations, I decided to spend the money for an MFD in other ways to improve the enjoyment of my boat and went with tablet only. This even with all the drawbacks of tablets have on a sailboat.

I have a ray marine hybrid touch. It’s not a a current product , updates (lighthouse 2 and 3) are readily available and very easy to upgrade just connect them to my cell hotspot via Wi-Fi press “
Upgrade “

The smallest 7” is around 700 euros. Quite cheap I can even view Netflix on it !!

Hence while I have tablets there is much more integrated functionality on a MFD along with proper waterproofing and sunlight viewable screens. Include is ais radar and autopilot integration and relays data from my ST60 instruments etc. Even controls my Bluetooth audio as well !!!

I’d never trust my navigation to only a tablet.

Tags
gps, helm