Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 13:42   #1

Post What do you think about these sextants offers?

Dear all,
I am planning to purchase a sextant, and am considering this one

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/184719929320...&ul_noapp=true

I know that it is a bid, and that the final price may not be the starting one. Apart from this, does the instrument look in good condition to you? Is there anything fishy about the offer that you can see?

Also, the offer is covered by a warranty: if the item does not correspond to the conditions listed in the posting, it will be reimbursed

Thank you for your input
Laurent_craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 06:16   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: What do you think about these sextants offers?

I have an Astra IIiB good sextant.
Old 25-03-2021, 07:39   #3

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

We have been stress-testing two plastics against more traditional construction models. When they are in tune, no difference worth discussing. The plastics seem to to get out of synch more quickly but adjust back quickly.

My 1944 Hughsun (England) micrometer is good but nothing like the new ones.

What have we learned? The mirrors have to be in excellent condition and easily adjusted. Hard to tell from a picture.

BTW. Been using the Nautical Almanac sight reduction pages and they are pretty easy. One book!
NormanMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 19:50   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

My Astra IIIB says Astra IIIB right where the one you link to shows GLH130-40. You might want to verify that they're both the same. The wooden structure in the box is also different from mine. Could be variations in different years of production. Price looks good - if the product is the same.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 22:25   #5

Celestaire/Chang-Zhou has made several variations of the Astra, some of which are re-branded and sold by other companies. From their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestaire
The Astra IIIB was produced under the technical drawing GLH 130-40, and some models made for internal consumption still bear that identifying mark.
The one in the eBay ad you posted looks like it is in great condition. But before spending any money, I would ask the seller for detailed pictures of the mirrors, shades and telescope lenses. And maybe the inside of the battery compartment to ensure there is no corrosion. I see the wire for the illumination is sticking out from behind the index arm, but in that location it shouldn't be a problem. The more detail pictures you can get of different parts of the sextant, the better.

I also see the stopwatch they used to sell in the lower right. I think it attaches to the telescope mount, but I could be wrong about that. The box looks like it has all the pieces, including the all-important mirror adjusting tool.

Seems legit.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, sextant