Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What nav software do you use? And please share why.
iNavX 7 3.66%
Navionics 55 28.80%
Aqua Maps 6 3.14%
OpenCPN 27 14.14%
SEAiq 2 1.05%
i-Boating 0 0%
C-MAP 5 2.62%
I use boat's chart plotter 50 26.18%
I use paper charts 23 12.04%
Other (please let us know what it is) 16 8.38%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2021, 13:07   #106

Boat: Looking to Buy
Re: What is your primary means of navigation (poll)

So I downloaded iNavX, seems good (but I still prefer Vector charts due to extra detail and quilting). And I know a lot of people use Navionics maps in iNavX, but I couldnt find them in the store. Did some googling and it looks like Navionics maps were provided via Fugawi, who are now defunct (https://www.fugawi.com/)... so no more Navionics maps in iNavX? Those of you using Navionics maps in iNavX whats your plan regarding this? Are you still getting map updates? Or are you switching to something else?

Currently comparing iNavX and SeaIQ, it seems like SeaIQ is better (for me as someone that doesnt need to tie in boat's instruments with the app, although you can do some like AIS with SeaIQ). Because it uses NOAA's vector charts (which I like for reasons mentioned above).

When I compared NOAA's vector charts to Navionics for the area I am in, while Navionics does have extra data via community edits (buoys I mentioned in an earlier post) but its totally missing some shallows (these are changes in depth from 60 feet to 10 feet, so not very dangerous for most cases) which makes me question what else is incorrect. I would expect an area like this, frequented by hundreds of sailors daily to be exact.

Seems like NOAA vector charts are the way to go, but I want that extra user data

Maybe its time to write my own app lol...
Duxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 14:09   #107

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxa View Post
So
When I compared NOAA's vector charts to Navionics for the area I am in, while Navionics does have extra data via community edits (buoys I mentioned in an earlier post) but its totally missing some shallows (these are changes in depth from 60 feet to 10 feet, so not very dangerous for most cases) which makes me question what else is incorrect. I would expect an area like this, frequented by hundreds of sailors daily to be exact.

Seems like NOAA vector charts are the way to go, but I want that extra user data

Maybe its time to write my own app lol...
1. By "extra user data" I assume you mean the Active Captain info (and older/legacy Navionics user input). I look at these regularly. Sometimes useful, often out-of-date, sometimes totally wrong. So, caveat emptor.

IF you also mean "sonar" charts, realize that (i) these are often garbage (based on interpolations of widely spaced data), (ii) some are indeed based on user sonar input (it is not clear how accurate in terms of tide level, calibration, etc, and (iii) there seems no way to know if sonar chart for specific area is based on user input or garbage interpolations. (Here in British Columbia, I've only seen garbage interpolations.)

2. If you really want it, why not get both? Navionics for USA is pretty cheap.

Finally, just to be contrarian, have you considered OpenCPN on Android with NOAA charts (works with both vector and raster). Abd raster charts CAN be quilted.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 15:23   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
1. By "extra user data" I assume you mean the Active Captain info (and older/legacy Navionics user input). I look at these regularly. Sometimes useful, often out-of-date, sometimes totally wrong. So, caveat emptor.

IF you also mean "sonar" charts, realize that (i) these are often garbage (based on interpolations of widely spaced data), (ii) some are indeed based on user sonar input (it is not clear how accurate in terms of tide level, calibration, etc, and (iii) there seems no way to know if sonar chart for specific area is based on user input or garbage interpolations. (Here in British Columbia, I've only seen garbage interpolations.)

2. If you really want it, why not get both? Navionics for USA is pretty cheap.

Finally, just to be contrarian, have you considered OpenCPN on Android with NOAA charts (works with both vector and raster). Abd raster charts CAN be quilted.
Yeah I have OpenCPN on an Android phone, and that is an option, but there seems to be no benefit over SeaIQ, which I can use on my primary phone (iPhone). Same Vector NOAA charts (pulled straight from NOAA so the yare updated).

There is no Active Captain or any kind of community edits on OpenCPN right?
Old 29-09-2021, 15:41   #109

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxa View Post
Currently comparing iNavX and SeaIQ, it seems like SeaIQ is better (for me as someone that doesnt need to tie in boat's instruments with the app, although you can do some like AIS with SeaIQ). Because it uses NOAA's vector charts (which I like for reasons mentioned above).

Wonder if that's a feet/fathoms error. Have an example location?

For SEAiq, I haven't really tied it into boat instruments yet, but I noticed some of the functionality is hidden or less obvious. E.g. I didn't really notice it did much with depth and wind data until looking at the alarms, after which I noticed you can add wind/VMG to the status panel. The AIS sharing is poorly named, but toggle that on to get internet AIS. Unlike MarineTraffic it doesn't seem to be delayed.

The Waterway guide can be useful, but I normally only toggle it when needed. Tides/currents is unfortunately not nearly as nice as other places, but can be useful. Pre-downloading the NOAA data can be awkward; the "offline" tides at the bottom of the list may ironically be more useful. (They use the xtide information as the pop-up will warn you.)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 15:54   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Wonder if that's a feet/fathoms error. Have an example location?

For SEAiq, I haven't really tied it into boat instruments yet, but I noticed some of the functionality is hidden or less obvious. E.g. I didn't really notice it did much with depth and wind data until looking at the alarms, after which I noticed you can add wind/VMG to the status panel. The AIS sharing is poorly named, but toggle that on to get internet AIS. Unlike MarineTraffic it doesn't seem to be delayed.

The Waterway guide can be useful, but I normally only toggle it when needed. Tides/currents is unfortunately not nearly as nice as other places, but can be useful. Pre-downloading the NOAA data can be awkward; the "offline" tides at the bottom of the list may ironically be more useful. (They use the xtide information as the pop-up will warn you.)
Both of the screenshots below are in feet. Navionics maps dont even acknowledge the presence of these. I pointed with arrows to 2 of them, but up top there are some rocks that are sourced by Active Captain and arent on Navionics charts either otherwise.

The area is definitely somewhat updated, that big rectangle of dotted lines on the right is a man made feature added within last 2 years. Something like CM93v2 dont reflect it. But Navionics does, so they updated the area somewhat recently.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:36   #111

Boat: Islander 36

Open con
ibsurfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:13   #112

Boat: Dehler 37CR

After using iNavX and iSailor I've been navigating with TimeZero's iBoat app on an iPad.
It is the best navigation app I've ever used. Lots of features that make sense for a sailor, like current and tide info, weather info, satellite images, NMEA data and so on.
Yazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:39   #113

Garmin Earthmate with Inreach. Physical map secondary.
clippercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:27   #114

Boat: Sea Ray 400DB

i use my boat's chart plotter (Raymarine Axiom 12with Navionics charts) for navigation while underway. I have my iphone on me, too, loaded with Navionics and Aqua Map apps - in case I want to look a something far ahead or get a second chart's view before arriving to an area.

I also have an iPad w/ Navionics and Aqua Map that I use when not underway, for route planning. Before I added the Axoim I had the ipad mounted on the helm as a backup to my old Raymarine RL80C (which I still have installed, but only use for radar and sonar displays now). I do not believe in using a commercial tablet or phone as a primary navigational tool. I've had waves over the bow and into the helm. I've also had them go into thermal shutdown on nice, sunny, summer days ... as I was heading into a challenging channel.
scooper321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:41   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm a paper chart junky......I don't know how many I've amassed over the years, but likely several hundred. Back in the day, before the advent of GPS, chartplotters, etc, paper charts were it.

Every port would see dozens of sailors swapping charts, making photo-copies, etc....
There's nothing quite like laying a paper chart on the nav table and being able to see the " big" picture....

I've hand traced charts, when no other option existed for me.....yep, charts on tracing paper...have 'em to this day. Would not part with them for the world.

Electronics are all good and well, but offer only a limited view...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 23:37   #116

1) main plotter with radar + AIS

2) plotter below at nav station AIS no Radar

3) laptop + Opencpn not networked to boat

4) paper charts
5) Placemat from truckstop + hand compass

6) Tablet or phone with navionics
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, poll