Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 17:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
What Should NOT Use?

I have been slogging through electronic chart options, and am not sure what to do. For chartplotters, I have an old Furuno NavNet MFD8, and a new Garmin GPSMAP 942 (which I got because it was on sale cheap). I plan to sail next year to the Bahamas, down through Turks-Caicos to DR to PR to VI to Eastern Caribbean. I have previously used Garmin BlueCharts Mobile on iPad in the Bahamas with CMAP on the Furuno, but I mostly used the iPad.

Is there any reason NOT to get Garmin charts for DR & Eastern Caribbean? Has anyone had a terrible experience with those charts?

I will have back-up Navionics on iPad since Bluechart Mobile is dead.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 17:35   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: What Should NOT Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I have been slogging through electronic chart options, and am not sure what to do. For chartplotters, I have an old Furuno NavNet MFD8, and a new Garmin GPSMAP 942 (which I got because it was on sale cheap). I plan to sail next year to the Bahamas, down through Turks-Caicos to DR to PR to VI to Eastern Caribbean. I have previously used Garmin BlueCharts Mobile on iPad in the Bahamas with CMAP on the Furuno, but I mostly used the iPad.

Is there any reason NOT to get Garmin charts for DR & Eastern Caribbean? Has anyone had a terrible experience with those charts?

Hhmm.. I'm pretty sure Garmin Bluecharts include both the Explorer Charts and the Wavy Line charts. I'm not %100 sure, but pretty sure. If so, then they are great up in Bahamas and Turks.

I also know quite a few people using Garmin gear down here in the Eastern Caribbean. They have never complained about their charts, so I assume they are good.

As to Navionics.. There have been some reported issues in the Bahamas and a few locations in the Eastern Caribbean (Antigua especially). However many people still use it as their main chart source and have no issues.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:40   #3

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Thanks Travellerw, I do know about the concerns about Navionics for the Bahamas - I'll have the Explorer Charts via Garmin unless they do something unexpected. I saw that Monty Lewis backed away recently on Bahamas Chatter from fully endorsing Garmin Bluecharts with Explorer data, and I think I saw elsewhere that some of the Bluecharts Explorer data had been modified by Garmin. That said, I think the magenta course lines should still be reliable, but I'll be checking. I have Bluecharts (not Bluecharts Mobile) on the new chartplotter.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:54   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post

===

I have been to the Caribbean twice using C-Map charts on my Furuno and have had no issues with them. The entire Carib is covered with a single chip so expense shouldn't be an issue. As a backup I'd suggest something like the Caribbean NV charts on a laptop running OpenCPN.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote