Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 02:39   #16

Re: Where is the best place to cross from Maine to Nova Scotia?

My wife and I are in Gloucester, MA working our way to Nova Scotia for a few months in our Vancouver 27. We are trying to figure out where to cross from and if we should go to Shelburne or Yarmouth. We don’t mind overnight passages. Our main concern is the Bay of Fundy Currents and either timing arrival in Yarmouth correctly, or rounding Cape Sable. If rounding Cape Sable how far off shore should we stay and how important is timing ebb/flood current when passing the south end of NS? If heading to Yarmouth when is it best to try and arrive in the tide cycle? Thanks!
wildernessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05   #17

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I've rounded Cape Sable some 80 times, which, I suspect is more than most posters on this board. Tidal Streams are ALWAYS a consideration in Western NS. Stay at least 5 miles south of Cape Sable unless you use the inside passage, which I don't recommend for strangers except in ideal conditions. This is a minimum more is better. Best time for either entrance is low water slack. Shelburne is 2 hours before Yarmouth. Shelburne is easier to enter, especially at night or in fog. There is a huge amount of fishing traffic and most of them do not have AIS on. Try to avoid bucking the tide all the way from Yarmouth to Cape Sable, you'll be lucky to make 3 knots over the ground and it can be very uncomfortable
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:08   #18

Thanks Peter. I think we will probably go from Central Maine straight to Shelburne and will stay well off Cape Sable. We will certainly use radar and keep a sharp lookout if the visibility is poor. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-07-2019, 19:47   #19

Peter, I just realized you wrote the cruising guide for Nova Scotia. Do you know if there is any place in Shelburne where I can buy a copy?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:31   #20

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

Dave, I have some on my boat, or I can leave one at the bar for you to pick up, let me know the name of your boat. Its on a thumb drive and costs $60 if you pick it up
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:17   #21

Great! I will send you a private message so we can figure out a good way to buy a copy when we are there. Our boat is a Vancouver 27 named Discovery from Grand Marais, Minnesota
Old 14-11-2019, 06:44   #22

We've sailed numerous times from Massachusetts and Maine to Nova Scotia, and always take the outside route directly to Shelburne, NS. Unless you want to visit Yarmouth or Grand Manan, sailing directly to Shelburne is the most direct and least complex route.

Leaving from Seal Cove on Grand Manan is not recommended, as in addition to the Fundy currents, the hazards are numerous to the east, and leaving from North Head and heading east puts you further up into the Bay of Fundy, where the currents will be significant, and you have to head back south from North Head to round Cape Sable.

We always stay well south of Blond Rock when crossing from Maine, usually 6 miles or so. The currents can be significant here, and the wind is can be light in the summer, so you may be relying upon your engine for a good part of the trip. The closer you get to Blond Rock and Seal Island, the more current, rips, etc. will be found. When crossing from Maine it is very difficult to time the currents, unless you are willing to motor to keep to a schedule, and even then you may not have a fair current from Blond rock all the way to Brazil Rock. It is certainly worth while to pay attention to the current velocities and times when making this trip, since the currents can be up to 5 knots.

Timing the currents from NS to Maine is easier, at least as far as the trip between Brazil Rock and Blond Rock. From Blond rock west to Maine you will be dealing with the Fundy Currents, and if the wind is light the current can force you well north or south of your intended route. In these conditions, if you have a definite landfall in mind, motoring may be the best option.

Be prepared for lots of traffic as you get close to Nova Scotia. We've seen as many as 5 fishing boats and a freighter or two on the radar/AIS at the same time. Many, but not all of the fishing boats have AIS, and on one trip we picked up a large freighter on radar that did not have functional AIS.

Fog is frequent and thick, so there is a chance that you won't see anything from Blond Rock to Cape Roseway. Entering Shelburne is relatively easy even in fog and at night, but there are numerous fish farms and a few other hazards to avoid.

Regards,

Bob
limte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, nova scotia