Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 05:48   #46

Re: Where to Purchase Paper Charts

If you can't figure out any other way to get them, you can still go to West Marine and they can order them for you.
Old 25-01-2020, 08:35   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

NIghtdiver, If you go up to Venice it is certainly worthwhile getting a Cruising Association membership. The marina on Certosa Island offers 10% discount and is only 10 mins on a Vaporetto to St Mark's Sq. Certosa has its own Vaporetto stop so is also useful for direct connection on the Alilaguna service to the airport. I kept my boat there for 2 winters.

Shopping is another matter since the island only has a hotel, bar & restaurant. I found an elegant solution so PM me if you would like some suggestions. You will like Certosa, it is like a private estate. You might trip over a few rabbits on yr morning jogging.....

If you stop in Croatia the 777 Pilot Book is worth buying. Lots of info and good guidance. But also check with Captains Mate if you become a CA member.

best of luck
Andrew
Old 26-01-2020, 06:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
First, I have to admit my ignorance when it comes to charts. Second I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me increase my education.

Up until recently I've been strictly a local sailor. I had to look up what a DMA chart was (gotta love google sometimes). The Frugal Navigator NGA section has a nice selection of charts for other areas, but they only have two charts that cover the entire Med. They have to be at least twenty years old since both still show Yugoslavia.
I can see where an older small scale chart would be good for long range planning, and I may purchase those two if I cant find a newer one. But what I'm most concerned about is Croatian waters are full of hundreds of little islands as is the Aegean. I'll be transiting both of those along with the Gulf of Corinth.
So bowing to my paranoia, what I would like is more recent large scale charts that show the northern coast of Croatia, the Gulf of Corinth and the Aegean between Greece and Turkey.
Does that sound reasonable?
(just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean something isn't out to get me)
As a long-time sailor in the Med I would suggest the Male Karte Kit for the Croatian waters and Imray for the Greek waters. All the best, Paolo Nichelli
Paolo Nichelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 12:52   #49

Boat: Beneteau 57

Thanks Tudo. I turned off data, wifi, and turned on airplane mode. I downloaded that app and verified I do have offline GPS. My phone is an Samsung android.
I like the tablet idea. Between the main chart plotter, the tablet with Navionics, my phone, my handheld garmin, and paper charts, I'll have more than enough backup.
Of course it makes me think of that ancient Chinese saying.
Man with one watch knows what time it is.
Man with two watches is never sure.
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 13:04   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

With so many GPS alternatives maybe you will never stop to look at the paper charts!
Old 27-01-2020, 11:23   #51

Boat: Beneteau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
With so many GPS alternatives maybe you will never stop to look at the paper charts!
I'm taking along my totally green 19 year old nephew. If nothing else, I'll teach him how to plot a positions and a course on a paper chart, which he will undoubtedly think is something from the dark ages.
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 12:01   #52

https://www.thehousehouse.com/decor/...art-wallpaper/

Nautical chart wallpaper.

Link to a prospective supplier for reconfiguring your head to be an auxiliary nav station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nav station.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	207677  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 01:21   #53

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
I'm taking along my totally green 19 year old nephew. If nothing else, I'll teach him how to plot a positions and a course on a paper chart, which he will undoubtedly think is something from the dark ages.
One way to educate and to combat boredom is to have a log to completed hourly that records position, course, wind, barometer and battery level etc

Then get crew to plot the position hourly on the chart.

I have log sheet I can share if you PM

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 04:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
One way to educate and to combat boredom is to have a log to completed hourly that records position, course, wind, barometer and battery level etc

Then get crew to plot the position hourly on the chart.

I have log sheet I can share if you PM

TudorSailor
Another way to get folks involved , prevent stupification and add value to a cruise is to require crew to keep .......not the log , its just abunch of silly numbers they don't know anything about ..but to keep a personal journal

A journal is normall kept on log book size pages...the journal is simply thier personal daily observations, perhaps a few pictures, restaurant critique, local newspaper clipping , people met ........

Ive now got a huge collection of crew journals...some of them are fantastic
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 15:05   #55

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Any new updates for paper charts?
We’re leaving from Florida and headed to Grenada, Trinidad and then through the Canal to the South Pacific and beyond.
We have all the electronics and iDevices and still like to plot and plan on paper.
I have a company that prints my NOAA charts so I’m hoping to find downloadable charts I can print to waterproof stock.
Thanks in advance for your direct experience.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:14   #56

Are there any sites that print out charts with courses (such as manually entered or linked with logs or GPS logs). It would be cool to take a regional cruise or passage and print out a keepsake chart that had the course taken, any port of calls, and such. Just wondering if anything like that exists?
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, purchase