Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 05:19   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Which Charts for MaxSea TimeZero ?

I am unfamiliar with electronic navigation gear and frankly find the choices bewildering. I am leaning towards getting a Furuno electronics package including a Navnet 3D / TimeZero multi function unit. I want worldwide charts and have no idea of which charting system will work well with TimeZero. Can I have some opinions please ? I'm very computer challenged so please pretend you are explaining it to your grandmother.

Thanks
Greg
Old 19-08-2010, 06:10   #2
cruiser

All of the chart data for MaxSea Time Zero is produced by MapMedia, a sister company of MaxSea. You'll have a pretty good selection from multiple locations for worldwide charts. You can get their S-57 data, Navionics, or Jeppesen C-Map, along with a variety of raster chart support. In all cases, they process the charts and sell them in a bundle that takes advantage of MSTZ's incredible speed.

As a dealer for MSTZ, I've looked at a lot of the chart data. I really like the Jeppesen C-Map data regions especially for the Caribbean. If the Bahamas/Caribbean is in your plans, the Jeppesen/C-Map data from MapMedia is the way to go. And of course you can mix and match data from different providers for different parts of the world. It's a really nice, flexible system.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 10:15   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
The Sydney agent has told me that the charts are already loaded onto the NavNet 3D unit. All we have to do is unlock (and pay for) the required areas. If I run a radar and an AIS unit, can this all run and overlay on the screen without the laptop and MaxSea being turned on or even connected?
.......and if I take my laptop home, the charts are on the Navnet 3D unit, so I can't sit in my loungroom to plan my escape - have I understood this correctly or do I have to download other charting software for my laptop? Thanks for your help so far Jeffery!!!

Greg

Tags
charts, maxsea