Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which digital navigation package do you use?
MaxSea 44 13.66%
Map Tech 31 9.63%
Captn. Jack 1 0.31%
Chersoft 1 0.31%
The Capn 33 10.25%
NaviGator 3 0.93%
Nobeltec 34 10.56%
EasyNav 0 0%
Visual Nav 2 0.62%
Chart View 4 1.24%
Offshore Navigator 19 5.90%
Visual Mariner 1 0.31%
RayTech 15 4.66%
Oziexplorer 7 2.17%
SevenC's 1 0.31%
NavPak Pro 7 2.17%
Raymarine 33 10.25%
SeaPro 3 0.93%
Waterworld 0 0%
I don't use any digital package, just paper charts and sextant or GPS 62 19.25%
C-map 59 18.32%
Fugawi Marine 29 9.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2008, 19:04   #121

Boat: Hunter 30 Air Ride
I now use Nobletech which once you learn all of the tricks with it it is great and all of the NOAA charts work great with it, other charts from other companies and other areas also work great with it. it's ALL Plug and play. I actually have it on my 3 computers for deliveries, always take 2 with me just in case. Great Chart Plotters

CaptMark
CaptMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 20:20   #122

Boat: Gulf Commander 45 Europa style
GARMIN ? BlueChart ?

I wish to nominate Garmin and the BlueChart series for inclusion in the survey.

Amazing to think no one uses Garmin or are we the "silent majority"

'91 Four Winns 365 Express Cruiser w/ twin 454 (7.4 liter) Crusader Engines (SOLD)
Capt Alfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:55   #123

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Alfex View Post

Well, maybe it's because this thread pertains to PC-based charting software, which is perhaps one of the few markets Garmin does not participate in?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 18:29   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
And it's for reasons like that, that I have been hesitant at going to a software system. I can't make my mind up as whether to go to a GPS/Plotter or software. I like the enormuose amount of info you get with software, but l also like the idea of having the reliability of a dedicated GPS/Plotter, plug it in and away you go system.
Alan,
I like using both. My PC based nav software has many more features yet I know my GPS plotter is more reliable, yet more primitive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 19:01   #125

I use both fixed mount and a PDS IQue3600 in my cockpit.

I don't spend lots of time making routes or scores of waypoints. Total waste of time. Before I depart I put in a frw waypoints and then add them along the way. Very simple.

My plotter repeats in the cockpit so I can read SOG, COG, Xtrack TTG DTW etc without going below to the plotter. This mean I can adjust the autopilot to GPS info without observing the plotter below.

The Ique is very handing in the cockpit. I don't need a huge display in fornt of the helm, I never go there. I use and autopilot, so I am usually forward, under the dodger and I consult the Ique to "see" where we are on a plotter. I can confirm what I see with my own eyes.

When things are not great for visual, I have the radar overlay on the chartplotter and AIS and Guard zones and so forth. I rarely sail in those conditions, but when I do I feel I have some good eyes and I don't have to update a paper plot. I do that offshore however.

Most of the nav features are more fun than useful.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 21:33   #126

Here's my take on the Fugawi Marine ENC program. It sucked. I installed it on a brand new laptop running windows Vista with 2 gig ram and a 160 gig hd.

The general layout and menus were easy to follow and use. However, it needs much more work.

I'm sure that some day this program will be ready for distribution. But as it is now I would not pay $279 for the full version. Right now, due to the frustration factor it isn't worth $20 to me.

Here are some of the things I didn't like about it.
Graphicly the world map looks like something designed a middle schooler.
You can't just click on an area and have the map automaticly open, you have to load each individual map.
Charting a route was a pain, you can't just double click to create a waypoint.
When using RNC's it kept locking up and I'd have to close the program and restart it and go to edit a route before I could add additional way points. When working with ENC's it seemed ok.
With both RNC's and ENC's whenever creating a route if the previous waypoint went out of view it will not allow you to create a new waypoint. Again, the only way to add additional waypoints after that is to restart the program, (Very frustrating anytime, but most annoying when routing across large bodies of water such as the Gulf of Mecico).
It took too long for the RNC's to load. It won't just load one ENC map by it's self, it loads all of them at once even if they are in different subfolders.
I would install IENC maps, but the next time I opened the program a few of the maps would not load and I would have to reinstall them all over again.

I think that's enough ranting over it.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 21:37   #127

I use c/map for reference only, I have been caught out once relying on a chart plotter, Never again, For me it's GPS and maps and a good pair of eye's if I have to a sextant,
But each to his own

Graham
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 10:32   #128
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I use Nobeltec and love it. But I'm searching for something that supports S-57. Nobeltec supported them just long enought to sucker me into upgrading to the latest version that supported them, but has recently discontinued that support. Makes me distrust them, so rather than continuing to sink money in their product, I'm looking for something else. Makes me mad because Nobeltec is really a great product. I like having multiple chart types open on the same screen: raster, vector, photo, topo. They support their own vector charts, which in my opinion are way superior to the ENCs. They also support several types of raster charts like I said above. And they have a 3-D view that you can overlay a chart onto. The route creation is good, they have multiple settings to adjust to lighting conditions, support multiple monitors, etc. They support overlaying radar over the charts, AIS, depth sounders, etc. Their support, while not fast to respond by e-mail, has without fail been knowledgable. I have used their phone support only once, and they got back to me the same day.

But like others above, I try to rely mainly on charts and visual info. I may run with outdated computer charts, but try to always have up-to-date paper ones. I also have manual plotting tools, sextant, bearing compass, multiple GPSs including a battery powered one, etc. I had a Loran, but it finally died. I find myself using just the GPS, but keep the chart book turned to the right page. And I periodically do some DR just to test my skills: like estimate time of arrival at a point and steer by compass heading derived from the chart, then at the target time, check the GPS to see how good I did.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 12:58   #129

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Alfex View Post

I too use Garmin and the bluechart series.

It does have a pc version you can buy and is interactive

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 21:59   #130

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I've been using Maptech's Chart Navigator Pro on my HP laptop for preplanning, and sometimes I use it in conjunction with the GPSmaps 76Cx for real time navigation below deck...works very well. I ordered my laptop with a dedicated serial port (just incase I needed one), but have not used that feature yet. After doing my preplanning I upload waypoints and routes via Garmin's card programmer to a 32 meg card using Garmin's MapSource, then upload that card into my Garmin 3210 plotter. I can upload directly from the laptop using Maptech to the GPS, but not to the card programmer without using MapSource for now. Once I get a hole cut with water proof plug installed in the back of my nav pod, I'll be able to us a special powered adapter that connects the laptop to the 3210, and upload directly to the plotter. Everything works great!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:37   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
No selection for Seaclear II. It's real expensive but worth the price...free!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:29   #132

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I use MaxSea as a routing program. It takes boats polars, wind and sea conditions and produces a sailing route. Raytech also does this but not as well.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01   #133

Boat: Custom 70' Steel Trawler - MOSEY
We have used Coastal Explorer by Rose Point Navigation for almost 3 years now. My previous nav software was Chart Pro, which would leave me with the "blue screen of death" at times it seemed the most unappropriate. To date, using Coastal Explorer both on board and off for planning I have not had a single crash.

Coastal Explorer also uses the "free" vector and raster charts that are downloadable from NOAA. I say "free" since "we" all have already paid for them with our taxes. I mostly use the vector charts, but sometimes find gaps in the conversion and have to switch back to the raster.

I have had no problems interfacing with the auto pilot or AIS. Even if you just plug in a Garmin GPS into a port on the notebook computer, the results will be fine. I use the system a lot when not on the boat to review and plan upcoming trips.

I am involved with helping to evaluate the next version through a beta testing program. The new version has a lot more to offer. Since purchasing the original version almost 3 years ago, all of my software updates have been free and the company stresses that will continue.

I like the company.
kchumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 10:26   #134

I use Masea v12 with MapMedia Charts
Raceler_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 20:13   #135

I reecently discovered Tiki Navigator.
TIKI Navigator - Marine navigation software using Maptech BSB and SoftCharts charts

I've been playing with it for a few days and so far I think I like it better than some of the more exspensive ones. Seems very easy to use.

And no I am not involved with this company at all.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation