Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 03:28   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Wintering Labrador / Newfoundland

Just past Labrador, in Quebec, La Tabatiere has a big travelift. Harrington Harbor, just south, has a slipway with windlasses to drag the boat out. You'll have to wait for the ice to clear before you can launch in the summer, though.
Old 27-02-2022, 05:04   #17

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I think you mean Port Saunders?

They are close by road but the sea side approaches are far apart being on opposite sided of the peninsula.

IIRC Port Au Choix proper has no yard and few services but a CG base.

But yes, other members here have pulled in Port Saunders.

No, it was definitely PAChoix that I was in. I didn’t go to Port Saunders, but sat images show some build up of facilities there too; although I don’t see a proper yard or travel lift set of piers.

These are definitely present in PAC; and as I noted there were several yachts also stored. It may be relatively recent infrastructure; but it’s definitely there and quite functional.

Best-
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 05:42   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

NS,

I did not see it last I was there but they were building new docks at the time. That was 2018 or 2019. Good to know, thanks for the info.

PAC and Port Saunders have road connections.

La Tabatier may now have some road connection but did not on 2012. They had a coastal ferry twice a week. It would make round trips from the gulf up to the Labrador border and return.

The Quebec Cote Nord is beautiful and remote. Great cruising ground. Kinda sucks as a base due to the remoteness. But it deserves a few weeks.

I got caught in the wring side of the ferry dock in Harrington Harbor in a NE gale. Got some new hull contours I had to fair out. The other side of the dock would have been fine, but was crowded with fishing boats.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 16:57   #19

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I thought I had a photo of the yard… but haven’t been able to find it yet.

This is a good pic of the operation in Englee I was mentioning tho- yard is in the foreground, lower left (you’ll be able to see the travelift). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646009840.453435.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	253731
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 18:15   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Looks like an old Marine Service Center. I have not been to Englee. Some of these operations are fine, some not so much. I hauled in Bonavista twice, that was a mistake. I hear it has new owners and is improving. Burgeo was pretty minimal the year I passed through. Duntara however looks well run.

There are reasons I push Lewisporte.

It has decent road connections to Gander and Deerlake airports.
Fairview Marine has done a good job of sourcing materials for me.
There is a secure yard.
The club house has washer, dryer, freezer, wash rooms with showers, a full kitchen and lounge area.
There is an active boating community who can lend a hand or a ride.

Not the least is that the Gander customs officials are used to dealing with foreign nationals and arrangements for protracted stays without excessive fees. Arriving in Lewisporte is “normal.” I have had difficulty checking into Port Au Basque (from St Pierre) as it is not a port of entry. They initially told me to sail to Corner Brook. Another time I was quite threatened by a Customs official for a missunderstanding. I weaseled out of it, but only because another official intervened. I try to avoid such uncomfortable events.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 01:45   #21

Boat: Metalu swing 50 / 16meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Welcome Julien! Sounds like you have sailed to some interesting places. I don't suppose you have a blog?
Hi!

No! i don't have any blog.. sorry!
Que-Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 01:47   #22

Boat: Metalu swing 50 / 16meters

Thank you hpeer and NSboatman for this new informations, i always dream to leave the boat more north in Labrador and in order to be able to have time to sail more north but i think it will be very complicated..
Que-Sera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland, winter