Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:19   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Post World/Caribbean Electronic Charts - Trade for Paper NOAA?

Hi all,

I have access to a large format (48" wide) photo printer and am printing every NOAA chart I might use on my boat on the same paper the NOAA made charts are on. I'm curious if anyone who has electronic charts of the world (Caribbean specifically), would be interested in trading their electronic charts for whatever NOAA charts he or she wants. Or even a paper renditions of the electronic charts he or she has to trade.

I only have to pay for the paper I use with these printers ($18 for a 150' roll), so this is a very economical way to build my library. But I want to add Caribbean, and perhaps other, charts. In the spirit of trading, I'd love to help some else build a quality paper library in trade!

Please let me know if you're interested. I have some great cartographic programs as well as maritime-oriented charting software, so I can probably read any format. The larger/higher quality the file, the better.

Thanks for your time!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
I have access to a large format (48" wide) photo printer and am printing every NOAA chart I might use on my boat on the same paper the NOAA made charts are on...
I only have to pay for the paper I use with these printers ($18 for a 150' roll), so this is a very economical way to build my library...
Thanks for your time!
Aaron N.
Very kind offer Aaron. I hope your generosity is rewarded.

I also hope your printer benefactor doesn’t wake up to his ink cartridge costs, which could be considerable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 23:06   #3

Gord,

I hope it works out too! I've already approved my printing - the school has eight printers and over 100 digital photo students, so my mostly-white prints will likely be among the least-consuming of what comes out. Really, charts are nearly blank - just some thin lines and text, with no large dark (aka ink-intense) areas to speak of.

Fair leads and shady quarters,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 12-02-2008, 03:17   #4

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
I printed some on a large format printer and it takes awhile. Was thinking of doing the same thing, but time was a killer. Of course if you print several of the same copy then time isn't too bad. Once the chart has printed you can reprint rather fast. It was on an hp DesignJet 800ps.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 19:47   #5

Dave,

I've had success printing them quickly - about 8 minutes each. These are Epson 9800s.

Fair leads,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 15-02-2008, 18:15   #6

Boat: Garrett 53 Pegasus
Hello every one this is the first time I have made a post but can any one out there tell me if theres is a program that will copy my sea max world PC charts to my C-map card for my furuno 1900c thanks and happy sailing
dmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 18:18   #7

Boat: Garrett 53 Pegasus
Furuno C-map

Hello every one this is the first time I have made a post but can any one out there tell me if theres is a program that will copy my sea max world PC charts to my C-map card for my furuno 1900c thanks and happy sailing
dmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 20:50   #8

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
I only have to pay for the paper I use with these printers ($18 for a 150' roll),
Hi Aaron -

What kind of paper does NOAA use? Any chance you can tell me the manufacturer/model # of the paper you've found?

Thanks much.

- rob
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 03:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mightn't a waterproof (resistant) paper still require the use of waterproof inks ???

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 04:08   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Rise 34 named Mango-Tango
Thumbs up

Hi Blahman,

I have all the carabean charts from florida to venezuela, including Bahamas, Porto-Rico, Virgin Islands that I can put on a Cd for you.
And I would be interested in some of NOAA's charts put on paper.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Michel Lalande
lalmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 08:10   #11

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Mightn't a waterproof (resistant) paper still require the use of waterproof inks ???
The HP Vivera inks are pigment-based inks and are pretty good in this regard. I haven't tried immersing a Vivera-printed plastic underwater to see how the ink behaves, but I can say firsthand that when printed office bond gets wet the paper disintegrates without any discernible running of the ink!

Water-resistant paper is quite distinct from water-proof At its simplest a waterproof 'paper' is a plastic made to look like paper, and water-resistant is a paper coated to make it behave more like a plastic.

I've got quite a collection of paper charts over the years, and it is obvious that NOAA used several different weights of paper. I wonder what they (or, more realistically, OceanGrafix print on demand) uses for chart paper stock these days.

- rob
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 08:35   #12

I'm not in the least up to date on this subject, as I use paper charts I purchased; but I thought I should tell you that Donald Street gets very upset when his Imray/Iolair charts are copied and exchanged, even among friends, as he considers it a violation of his copyright.
I've let friends copy my charts, as I hate to see a sailor without; I just thought I should mention that D.M really gets worked up on this subject; he's spoken to me in person about this and I can understand his point of view.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 22:15   #13

Rob,

I was amiss in my first quote of $18. I found that paper to be too delicate, so I went over to West Marine and asked about the OG paper. They had a roll of "heavyweight coated bond paper", but that's all the tube said. I checked about and found that HP's heavyweight coated bond is excellent quality and just like OG chart paper. It's about $55 for a 42"x100' roll, which is still absurdly reasonable for printing charts.
42in Wide Format HP Inkjet Printer Paper Rolls ATLEX.COM

Gord/Beetle,

I'm not sure about the inks waterproofness, but a hunch says the paper will go before the ink. I'm using archival quality photo ink (pigment based), which is supposed to last a long time.

Cheers!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41   #14

Still looking!

Hi all,

I'm still hoping someone might be interested in trading paper for electronic charts! Please contact me if so.

Cheers,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 23-04-2008, 05:46   #15

Send a message via ICQ to jamelia
I'm interested, I have electronic charts ATL03 from 2005 (Digital Ocean).
I would be willing to provide those, and make arrangements with you for some printing (we are about to sail south).
Email me privately, would probably be best.
Joe

Quote:
Hi all,

I have access to a large format (48" wide) photo printer and am printing every NOAA chart I might use on my boat on the same paper the NOAA made charts are on. I'm curious if anyone who has electronic charts of the world (Caribbean specifically), would be interested in trading their electronic charts for whatever NOAA charts he or she wants. Or even a paper renditions of the electronic charts he or she has to trade.

I only have to pay for the paper I use with these printers ($18 for a 150' roll), so this is a very economical way to build my library. But I want to add Caribbean, and perhaps other, charts. In the spirit of trading, I'd love to help some else build a quality paper library in trade!

Please let me know if you're interested. I have some great cartographic programs as well as maritime-oriented charting software, so I can probably read any format. The larger/higher quality the file, the better.

Thanks for your time!
Aaron N.
jamelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charts