Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 16:33   #1

Boat: Antares 44i
Worth Upgrading to Touch Screen Furuno NavNet TZT3 12" Multifunction Display w/ 1kW ?

We've been perfectly happy with our older version (installed 2010) two Furuno 12" Navnet 3D MFD12 Chart Plotters, but are considering upgrading to Touch Screen Furuno NavNet TZT3 12" Multifunction Display w/ 1kW Dual CHIRP Sounder.

Our reasons include value for resale; staying up with the times; having better screen images; newer technology; and having the benefit of navigating from anywhere on the boat on our iPads, etc.

We'd love to hear from anyone who has the TZT3s on how they like them? What are the best benefits?

And what do you think about the value of the TZT3s on resale value?

Thanks!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 17:56   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Worth Upgrading to Touch Screen Furuno NavNet TZT3 12" Multifunction Display w/ 1

For me, as a buyer, (and I am not now but have been a few times) value on resale is close to zero.
As a buyer of older boats I have expected the electronics to work. If they are very recent great, but not worth cash.
To me, newer systems show maintenance. And make me more interested. But worth extra cash only at that level.
For example my current boat was built in 1972. Older. The electronics were discontinued 7 years before I bought the boat in 2016. The age of the (fully working!) electronics was a zero factor in my thinking about the value of the boat.
The 2600 hours on the 2007 engine mattered. That’s low. The recently replaced rig, sticks and all, mattered. The decent sails mattered. The general attention to maintenance of the important things mattered. A lot. Everything worked. And that’s my personal standard. Not new, but working.
These are all more trouble and expense than electronics. And I’ve done full replacements of electronics before.
If, however, YOU want new electronics go for it! Tech tends to get better over time. Enjoy it, but think of it as an expense. Not an investment.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 17:59   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Worth Upgrading to Touch Screen Furuno NavNet TZT3 12" Multifunction Display w/ 1

Btw that Furuno gear looks great to me on paper and in person.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 18:34   #4

Boat: PDQ 41

My Nordhavn came with an older NavNet, and I switched to TZT2 when I bought the boat in 2016 I am planning an upgrade to TZT3, along with the new sat compass, and the open array Doppler Radar. This may mean I am chasing tech, which is a race anyone is destined to lose, but it is also an indication of how happy I am with the TZT system. At first, I was a little unhappy with Furuno because the iPad compatibility didn’t come until about a year after I bought the system, and I wasn’t crazy about the Cmap cartography. I have now installed Navionics, and the iPad is compatible. I still wish they hadn’t dropped auto course up, but I have gotten used to course up.
There is a very good review on Panbo of the TZT3 system.
As far as value, maybe for a couple of years, but you will inevitably have a buyer who prefers B and G, oy Raymarine.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:43   #5

Boat: Antares 44i

Here's the link to the Panbo review of TZT3 Maldwin referred to https://bit.ly/3ltQuDl
(Panbo is a marine electronics blog sponsored by Power & Motoryacht, Soundings, and PassageMaker magazines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
My Nordhavn came with an older NavNet, and I switched to TZT2 when I bought the boat in 2016 I am planning an upgrade to TZT3, along with the new sat compass, and the open array Doppler Radar. This may mean I am chasing tech, which is a race anyone is destined to lose, but it is also an indication of how happy I am with the TZT system. At first, I was a little unhappy with Furuno because the iPad compatibility didn’t come until about a year after I bought the system, and I wasn’t crazy about the Cmap cartography. I have now installed Navionics, and the iPad is compatible. I still wish they hadn’t dropped auto course up, but I have gotten used to course up.
As far as value, maybe for a couple of years, but you will inevitably have a buyer who prefers B and G, oy Raymarine.
Best,
Maldwin
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:17   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

New electronics make little difference to resale value for most buyers. And the reality is once installed, it's no longer new, it's second hand.
There's an endless variety of electronic gear one can buy. You mention you'll include sonar, what about all the other options?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:21   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have a friend with Furuno chart plotter, he says, boy it sure does suck up the amp's [sail boat].
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:20   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
We've been perfectly happy with our older version (installed 2010) two Furuno 12" Navnet 3D MFD12 Chart Plotters, but are considering upgrading to Touch Screen Furuno NavNet TZT3 12" Multifunction Display w/ 1kW Dual CHIRP Sounder.

Our reasons include value for resale; staying up with the times; having better screen images; newer technology; and having the benefit of navigating from anywhere on the boat on our iPads, etc.

We'd love to hear from anyone who has the TZT3s on how they like them? What are the best benefits?

And what do you think about the value of the TZT3s on resale value?

Thanks!
As a prospective boat (catamaran) buyer, I can say that the least important thing to me is the electronics package when evaluating various boats. Like me, I think most buyers with their new toy will want to choose their own electronics package at least fairly soon after purchase. if you really want this unit, then by all means get it, n9thing wrong with Furuno. just don't expect to be reimbursed for it when you go to sell the boat.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 00:51   #9

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

At least the few modern plotters I have used are no fun to use with wet fingers or gloves on. I would rather go old school with knobs and buttons....
Apart from that, there seems to be nothing wrong with Furuno...

-Richard
Old 10-10-2020, 07:21   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
At least the few modern plotters I have used are no fun to use with wet fingers or gloves on. I would rather go old school with knobs and buttons....

-Richard

Some of the modern ones have buttons with the touchscreen, others are touchscreen only. Some also have an external button module available to control it. For the Furuno TZT3 stuff, the 12" has buttons, the larger ones are touch only.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:51   #11

Boat: PDQ 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post

-Richard
I added a remote to my TZT2 on the Flybridge for that very reason. 4 years later I have never used it because the TZT responds perfectly in all conditions.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 02:10   #12

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
Best,
Maldwin
OOOH! After software upgrade on my NAVNET MFD8 I lost "Course Up"option!! That was my favorite. Furuno - Spain service man said :" You've lost course data source". No I see - I'm not the one who lost it
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, furuno, navnet, screen