Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2007, 06:58   #1

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30
XM Weather receivers

Has anyone used XM weather?
I'm looking at getting a XM weather source for our trip to the Bahamas this Winter.
What equipment do you use?
I've seen the 376c Garmin that looks like it might be OK, but don't really know.
Do you have to buy the chart chips for the area you want weather for? I already have a Garmin Chartplotter, but it is not set-up for the weather, that I know of.
I think you can subscribe and unsubscribe if wanted.
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 06:36   #2

Any one see this question?

Just checking if this post was lost or if no-one has any knowledge of the XM Weather product?
Old 26-10-2007, 06:46   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have never met anyone with XM Weather in the Bahamas. I think that must say something.
Old 26-10-2007, 07:10   #4

I have used xm weather in the US and it works ok.. but I think their info comes from NOAA- you might be able to get the same info over the internet if you are close to shore. I intend to keep my xm weather and also supplement with radar and internet when available
Old 26-10-2007, 07:30   #5

Thank you, both.
That's what I was looking for, some input.
I have a sat-phine, that works pretty good for the Chris Parker reports, but rather than the expense of the SSB purchase and Installation, I thought the XM Weather might be an alternative weather source.
Old 26-10-2007, 07:38   #6

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I tried to call them about a year ago to get some info . . . 30 minutes on hold and the person that answered finally knew zilch, just a salesman. Knew lots about the radio though . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 07:59   #7
DWT

Wm,

Practical Sailor just had a story on XM vs. Sirius weather. If I remember correctly both were good up the the Bahama's but not much further. Their opinion was XM was the better of the two.

David
69 Morgan 30'
CaRolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 07:59   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Thank you, both.
That's what I was looking for, some input.
I have a sat-phine, that works pretty good for the Chris Parker reports, but rather than the expense of the SSB purchase and Installation, I thought the XM Weather might be an alternative weather source.
A relatively cheap portable short wave receiver with SSB such as the Sony ICF-SW7600GR will get you all the weather you'll ever need. You won't need to use the sat phone. Chris is on every morning and usually comes booming in. In addition you can listen in to all the nets if you're so inclined. I usually listen to Chris and the Bahamas weather net run by Nick (Ranger) and Carolyn in Coral Harbour.
Old 26-10-2007, 08:39   #9

I have a Radio Shack reciever that works sometimes. I guess that what surprised me about the SSB was the spottyness of the reception. Sometimes it was great and others not at all.
I've seen a garmin 376c on the net that looked like it might be an acceptable solution.
Old 26-10-2007, 09:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Better find out for sure just what the range is offshore. Their satellites antennas are pointed at the USA and were never really meant to extend far past the landmass.

From here: Welcome to WxWorx: Support: Sales FAQ

"How far outside the continental US are the XM WX weather data available?
The radar data is derived from the 145 ground-based sites in the U.S. NEXRAD network, which covers the contiguous United States, and up to approximately 150 miles outside the borders of the 48 States and coastal waters depending on the actual location of the Doppler Radar. The lightning data covers up to approximately 200 miles outside the borders of the 48 States. Other products when and where available such as winds aloft, fronts, infrared satellite mosaic, sea temps, wave heights etc. are generally viewable to about 500-800 miles outside of the borders of the 48 States. Coverage is not available in or around Hawaii. This information should serve as a general guideline with the understanding that while the coverage may well exceed 500-800 miles in some case, depending on antenna type and placement, we cannot provide specific coverage availability and details for locations outside of the borders of the 48 States other than what we have stated here."

There is a link to an unofficial map of coverage on that page, but it is a dead link.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 16:44   #11

They cover both the Bahamas and Puerto Rico. No further.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote