Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2024, 04:38   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27'
2024 EPIRB prices

Am I wrong or has the price of an EPIRB increased between 50 and 100%?

I was hoping to get an ACR EPIRB GlobalFIX V4 and it has been replaced by V5 which is about $300 more.

I do not really want to spend $900 for a replacement for my old unit.

Suggested cost conscious alternatives for coastal cruising?
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 04:50   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: 2024 EPIRB prices

400 Canadian pesos from binnacle.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	287992  
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 05:45   #3

Boat: Adams 45

The Personal Locator Beacon is not an exact alternative to an EPIRB. It's smaller and lighter, with less battery life. Ocean Signal's RescueME EPIRB1 has a 10-year battery storage life, 48-hour operating life, and lists for $600. Their rescueME PLB1 has 7-year battery storage life, 24-hour operating life, and lists for $350.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 09:25   #4

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

The short answer is "yes" - EPIRB prices have risen since the ACR v4 was the current model.

On the other hand, the features of the various EPIRBs have also been expanded to include, among other things, Return Link Service and in some models, AIS broadcasting. For a good summary of the differences between the models see this comparison chart.

You can pick up an ACR v6 (which is close in functionality to your v4) for about $650 - $700 (and perhaps for even less at a boat show).
Old 02-06-2024, 03:38   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I live in Europe. Add 25% in VAT. Back up to $900. I just replaced my raft, this is growing very painful.

The ACR 4 was affordable. I guess I will go without.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2024 EPIRB prices

I opted for Spot Gen3 a few years back, it not only serves as an emergency beacon but allows friends/family to track me as I go.
The GenX and Gen4 allow you to text and receive on the hoof.
The Gen3 is the cheapest at around €160 for the unit plus €125/yr service payment.. the other two are around €100 more/unit for the extra plus a monthly service plan, the basic being around €17/mth.
Another plus for me is one can time the transmissions to every hour or more by switching on and off unlike the EPIRB which has a 72hr battery life.. an advantage when far from land.
I have a fixed text for friends/family "Mayday, Mayday, please contact RNLI and send them the alert and gps link"

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:54   #7

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I opted for Spot Gen3 a few years back, it not only serves as an emergency beacon but allows friends/family to track me as I go.
The GenX and Gen4 allow you to text and receive on the hoof.
The Gen3 is the cheapest at around €160 for the unit plus €125/yr service payment.. the other two are around €100 more/unit for the extra plus a monthly service plan, the basic being around €17/mth.
Another plus for me is one can time the transmissions to every hour or more by switching on and off unlike the EPIRB which has a 72hr battery life.. an advantage when far from land.
I have a fixed text for friends/family "Mayday, Mayday, please contact RNLI and send them the alert and gps link"
Spots are pretty cool and provide comms beyond EPIRB but with annual fees not any cheaper than an EPIRB.

EPIBS are expensive and have gotten more expensive with introduction of GPS and now AIS but even a $900 unit is good for 10 years. With a $300 battery replacement good for another 10. So $1,200 for 20 years = $60 a year which after one gets over the sticker shock is pretty solid.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:00   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
I live in Europe. Add 25% in VAT. Back up to $900. I just replaced my raft, this is growing very painful.

The ACR 4 was affordable. I guess I will go without.
Wouldn't the V4 also have VAT?

Apples to apples West Marine currently has 3.

V4 - $515
V5 - $895 (AIS & RLS)
V6 - $660 (RLS)

So yeah V6 is a bit more expensive than V5 but some of the cost increase is just inflation.

Side note it is weird marketing to have the V6 be a downgrade from the V5.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2024 EPIRB prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Spots are pretty cool and provide comms beyond EPIRB but with annual fees not any cheaper than an EPIRB.

EPIBS are expensive and have gotten more expensive with introduction of GPS and now AIS but even a $900 unit is good for 10 years. With a $300 battery replacement good for another 10. So $1,200 for 20 years = $60 a year which after one gets over the sticker shock is pretty solid.
Ahh.. but they also have a monthly option so you just pay for the time your using it.. so if your doing a 1 to 2 month run in open waters (Galicia to Gibraltar) just pay for that then go on hold till you need it again.
I don't bother with my Spot when Harbour hopping within Cell/VHF range of the coast but consider it invaluable for Transats or non stops across the Biscay and beyond to Azores etc.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:05   #10

I switched to PLB’s a long time ago. Easy to wear around the neck on a lanyard. Too many EPIRBs have been left behind in their bracket.

Transmits the same info just as well. Yes the battery is only 24 hours but they have a fix on you in 20 minutes and have drift models if the signal stops. And unless you are cruising in very out of the way places help will arrive in some form within 12 hours.

But I would never go to sea without my InReach and the EPIRB/PLB as a backup. Let’s you inform family members if you are delayed. Request medical aid. Get weather. Handle situations that don’t require declaring a MAYDAY. In difficult weather, the Garmin center will even maintain a watch with hourly checkins. They’ll inform SAR of your situation so a rescue can be planned if needed.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, price