Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 12:00   #31

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: 3 Non Sailors and Seasickness

Charlie,
We have a general rule of thumb for non sailors or those who are prone to seasickness if they wish to sail with us ,before we leave, whether it be a day sail or a passage. They are told the length of the trip in miles and time, what the probable conditions will be based upon the forecast, what they should expect if they get sick, what we can offer them before and during the trip to lessen the impact of the sickness, how effectively the treatment will usually be and that once at sea --we never turn back unless there is a serious medical emergency which does not include being sea sick. Most decline after a short but thoughtful assessment and a few will go. Everyone is grateful and thanks us for our honesty. There is no reason to be anything other than brutally honest and if the people are your friends, you will certainly keep your friendship intact. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 30-10-2014, 14:52   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

At present my anti-emetic of choice is Stugeron. However, I have used Marezine with some success in the past, and it worked also for carsickness. Also, for women in the age bracket, I found stopping HRT considerably lessened my propensity for seasickness.

I have also used Bonine (meclizine HCl), acupressure bands, crystallized ginger candy,and scopalamine patches.

Kind of nice to see this old thread revived.

FWIW, I think rognvald's way of informing potential crew of the issues is super. It is always easier to keep mal de mer away than to make it go away after it has begun, the same as pain.

Ann
Old 10-11-2014, 16:12   #33

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

We have a supply of sturgeon onboard but it makes me sleepy. Several years ago I purchased a Relief Band (an electronic device designed for stunt pilots). It cost about $120 U.S. The batteries last a long time but of course it depends who strength the unit is set at and the length of time worn. I know I can put the band on - happily go below and cook dinner and remove the band once the cooking is done.

This device means I am drug free and not seasick.

Caution - do not purchase online in Australia as the units are the same but the batteries cannot be changed. (Due to drug administration laws the unit is classed as a medical device and batteries cannot be changed by the populace). I have purchased bands online from the US and UK.

Just Google Relief Band to find them.
Cheers Sue😞🌊

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote