Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 14:22   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
400,000 Seafarers Trapped Aboard Ships

Greetings all. It saddened me to open this mornings news and learn how difficult life has become for professional mariners due to the COVID pandemic.
It is estimated that over 400,000 seafarers are trapped in ships, some for as long as one and a half years. Ports are locked and corporations say they cannot change crews. In some cases repatriation is difficult but I suspect the true issue is money. Crews simply lack any leverage against owners.
If you go to IFG Global.org, you can find some beautiful photographs of crews from a photography contest.
Professional mariners certainly deserve our support. They move 80% of all goods and have often assisted sailors in distress without regard to personal danger.
I’ve said this before. Professional mariners do everything possible not to run over you, not to loose containers, and not to ignore radio contacts. The days of slavery should be over, but the conditions on ships has now become unbearable.
How can sailors support mariners?
Learn more about their efforts to keep the seas safe for everyone.
Support union protection and international groups concerned with their well-being. Bypass flag of convenience nations and carriers. If you are USA based, remind Congress why we need a strong Merchant Marine.
We share the ocean and should respect all who enjoy it, make their living on or from it, and every creature on or in it.
Enjoy the photos and please support the men and women at sea.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote