Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 20:26   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
A full sailing day - no motors at all from anchor up through short passage to anchor

Today we decided to shift our anchorage to an island a few miles away. After a few days of gales and rain in a well protected bay, albeit a bit muddy and with private land at the head of the bay, we were getting a bit stir crazy. So when today dawned calm and clear, we figured it was a good time to try something new.

For some context, we are sailing a 16.4/54 foot catamaran with a 50kg anchor, 1/2” all-chain rode, and a 1700W windlass. We can run the windlass without starting engines, but Our sails are a 85sqm fully battened mainsail and a smaller self tacking, furling jib.

We had 1-2 knots in our bay, with a visible wind line about 1/2 nm away just past the opening of the bay. We had 40m of chain out in 5m depth.

Mainsail ready to hoist first.

Next, start pulling the chain up hand over hand. We did 10m at a time to allow the boat to move forward as we picked chain up from the bottom. By the time we got to about 15m left we had to use the manual handle on the windlass - the chain was buried deep in the mud. The windlass brings in about 40cm of chain per manual stroke, so it took some time to get to straight up and down at around 9m of chain (our windlass is 3m back from the bow roller). At this point, it was all I could do with a 1m lever arm to bring in one pawl worth of chain, about 6 links. Then rest a while for it to lever the anchor shaft up, then another pawl.

At this point we decided to leave the anchor and hoist the main. Lots of rain water caught in the flakes of the sail and in the stack pack bag! Main fully hoisted and hanging limply - still just 1-2 knots of wind from the mouth of the bay.

Back to the chain, with the anchor hopefully partially broken out. A few pawls came in easy, then really hard for another three or four, then finally anchor breaks free and full strokes with the handle again. The chain coming up is packed with slimy grey mud, while the anchor mostly cleaned itself coming up.

We’re doing 0.5 knots boat speed and unfurl the jib. Mainsail battens are inside out and not enough wind pressure to flick them over. Jib just barely maintaining a shape.

We can’t tack so execute a very slow gybe at the other side of the bay, Turning very slowly we came pretty close to the far shore. Now moving at 1.1 knots coming back with the main in its correct orientation and the jib drawing - TWS 2.0 knots. We come past our original spot and set up to tack before the wind line at the other edge of the bay. This time with 1.6 knots boat speed we can execute the tack, though got very close to the shoreside reef.

The breeze filled in to 4 knots and we were able to flick the battens over and now have 3.5 knots boat speed. Yay, we can take our fingers off the engine start buttons.

We had a short sail to the new anchorage, in a shallow bay on the currently windward side of the island - the forecast is for the wind to die and back almost 150 degrees this evening. Breeze picked up to 8 knots TWS.

We ran downwind into the bay and dropped the main about 1/4 nm out. The anchor was made ready to run (we almost always drop the anchor using the windlass clutch, rather than the motor). Then we started a u-turn to head into the wind and furled the jib. Only made it to 60 AWA before our way fell off and we dropped the anchor. Then we turned sideways as we eased the chain.

Using the clutch to let chain out ensures that the anchor pulls the chain it wants and we don’t risk piling chain up. Once we got to where we wanted to attach the bridles we slowly tightened the clutch - gradual so we don’t risk scraping a taught chain under the windward hull - not a risk for a monohull.

Got the bridle on and let another 10m of chain pull itself out.

Hoisted the anchor ball and we’re done. A no engine day - blissful. Not as easy as with a smaller boat, but something that we’ll try whenever we feel like a good workout.

Only one thing missing is a good set of the anchor - usually we go pretty hard in reverse to set, but of course with no motors that’s not possible. Does anyone use their sails to reverse set their anchor?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 05:15   #2

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: A full sailing day - no motors at all from anchor up through short passage to anc

Sounds like a fun day was had by all. We like to do the same when possible, which usually means plenty of space in the anchorage in case we have an issue. Good "practice" for engine failure, though a day without engine noise is the true reason IMO

>>> Does anyone use their sails to reverse set their anchor?

Never tried and would be nervous about intentionally setting ourselves up for the anchor flipping and needing a reset later. Usually what we find is that by easing the chain and letting the boat drift downwind (sideways as you said is usually what happens), we get enough way on before getting to our desired scope that the anchor set is noticeable.

As in the recent thread on power-setting, it seems like all most of us can do is verify a basic set anyway. Not sure if doing more, like backing a sail, would be worth the trouble.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 06:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: A full sailing day - no motors at all from anchor up through short passage to anc

With that mud it doesn't sound like a set is necessary.

Sounds like a good experience. My only question for your quite technical mind is what wind velocities you are willing to have sails up and anchor down. In any real wind, that's a lot of forces to contend with if the boat gets cock-eyed.
Old 14-07-2021, 07:37   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We like to do the same thing once every month or so. It's great practice for when you may need to anchor under sail, or get under way.
I have also raised sail and tacked forward to raise anchor, but it is difficult with only the main up.
In terms of set, we do turn on the engines after all is done and back down. Since we are only doing it to practice, I still like to confirm the set for ease of mind.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 13:42   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

>> Does anyone use their sails to reverse set their anchor?<<

Yes. It's the only way to have a go at it if the engine is inoperable. It would probably work fine for you in 4 kn. of wind. Maybe not at 1-2. How we do it is to pull the main all the way out with a preventer, so it can't come snapping back if a puff hits. I have to say, I don't know if it is a necessary thing to do. Boatman 61 has posted that he never sets anchors, but we always have. Surely, if the wind comes up, it will quickly set itself, if it's a modern generation anchor--I wouldn't trust a CQR type to set on its own.

We also have tacked out the anchor (when the engine was hors de combat), and it is really the reefs around you that are the scariest bit.

Imo, it is wise of you to practice the skill, you'll feel way better under pressure if you HAVE to do it because of an unexpected problem.

Ann
Old 14-07-2021, 13:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
With that mud it doesn't sound like a set is necessary.

Sounds like a good experience. My only question for your quite technical mind is what wind velocities you are willing to have sails up and anchor down. In any real wind, that's a lot of forces to contend with if the boat gets cock-eyed.

In steady wind we weathercock reliably and can use our two engines to stay near head to wind throughout hoisting our anchor. In light winds it doesn’t really matter which direction the boat faces, as long as we can keep the main from driving the boat too fast.

We often hoist our mainsail while at anchor, including putting in the reef(s) that we expect will be needed. We do this in anything up to about 10 knots, as we don’t want to flog the main unnecessarily.

When it’s too much wind, then we’ve unfurled the jib rather than hoisted the main. Once we have sea room we come up to close hauled and hoist the mainsail. We find we’re spending less time using our engines to go head to wind to hoist the mainsail.
Old 14-07-2021, 15:36   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
...Only one thing missing is a good set of the anchor - usually we go pretty hard in reverse to set, but of course with no motors that’s not possible. Does anyone use their sails to reverse set their anchor?
We set the anchor this way occasionally. With the boat directly into the wind we push (or pull with a preventer) the main all they way out. Before getting much way on backwards the boat weather cocks on the main. At that point we move the main to the other side and by the time we are bow into the wind again we are sailing backwards. Perfect for setting the anchor in under 10 knots of breeze.
Old 14-07-2021, 16:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A full sailing day - no motors at all from anchor up through short passage to anc

Just to clarify what Ann said.. I never use the engine to set my anchor if there's wind or tide to assist.
I keep my main up when anchoring and before I go forward to drop the hook I release the mainsheet.. I then drop 15m and hold, as the boat stops falling back and starts to come head to wind I let go another 10m then hold till the boat is truly head to wind before letting out the last bit.. the windage from the main provides enough power to start the anchor biting at the first hold and the second increases the dig.. the final stop finishes of then its brew a coffee and drink it in the cockpit while I check bearings for a few minutes.
Raising the hook under sail I raise the main, centre the mainsheet and lock it.. I then go forward and start hauling in as the boat starts moving forward on one tack till the chain lies around 70degrees to the hook, hold then start hauling in again as she falls back putting her on the other tack, hold when the weight comes back on then repeat... the last bit is the fun bit.. you have to be on the right tack as you break free the anchor else your neighbours get upset..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 16:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We set the anchor this way occasionally. With the boat directly into the wind we push (or pull with a preventer) the main all they way out. Before getting much way on backwards the boat weather cocks on the main. At that point we move the main to the other side and by the time we are bow into the wind again we are sailing backwards. Perfect for setting the anchor in under 10 knots of breeze.

Great suggestion of backing the main but I’m not sure it would work for us as we can only get our mainsail boom out 70 degrees or so because of full battens and set back cap shrouds. This means that when we turn sideways with a slack anchor rode the wind will catch the main and drive us forward. We will try it though next time we anchor under sail.

In the light wind we had when anchoring our anchor did not fully set. I can see it in the calm water today 45 degrees to its side with just the tip and part of one fluke engaged. With more wind load I’m sure it would just dig further in and right itself without releasing. It is a 50kg anchor (Sarca Excel 9) and needs some umph to fully set.
Old 24-07-2021, 08:53   #10

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just to clarify what Ann said.. I never use the engine to set my anchor if there's wind or tide to assist.
I keep my main up when anchoring and before I go forward to drop the hook I release the mainsheet. I then drop 15mj and hold, as the boat stops falling back and starts to come head to wind I let go another 10m then hold till the boat is truly head to wind before letting out the last bit.. the windage from the main provides enough power to start the anchor biting at the first hold and the second increases the dig.. the final stop finishes of then its brew a coffee and drink it in the cockpit while I check bearings for a few minutes.
Raising the hook under sail I raise the main, centre the mainsheet and lock it.. I then go forward and start hauling in as the boat starts moving forward on one tack till the chain lies around 70degrees to the hook, hold then start hauling in again as she falls back putting her on the other tack, hold when the weight comes back on then repeat... the last bit is the fun bit.. you have to be on the right tack as you break free the anchor else your neighbours get upset..
I furl the jib a little early to slow down, then when near the drop spot head into the wind w/mainsail up, traveler centered. Everything is set beforehand at the bow. As the boat slows to a stop I release the mainsheet, then go forward. Drop and veer the chain using the clutch as the boat falls off and starts making its leeway. It’s VERY important at this point that the mainsheet is free. Otherwise the boat may begin to sail and, in which case if the anchor has grabbed, when reaching the end of the chain the boat will turn toward the anchor, gybe, and start sailing down wind with chain/rode trailing under the boat. If it’s windy, you can guess the rest.

I saw this happen to a boat that had evidently seen us anchor under sail on its way into the anchorage, and tried the same maneuver. But left out the step of releasing the mainsheet, so that’s what happened. As it sailed downwind after gybing it was evidently dragging its anchor. The boat passed close to a channel marker then shortly after stopped abruptly as if grounding. It did not swing around b/c the rudder was pressed against the extended rode trailing astern & the anchor had fouled the channel marker. It was windy, at least 12-15 kt. So the boat was pinned stern to wind, mainsail fully up, in about 15 kt. Hard to get the mainsail down in that! Of course, we were enjoying our afternoon Gin&Tonic’s watching this all play out only a few hundred feet away! More happened after that but not as dramatic.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:50   #11

I had couple of those days not by choice but motor failed and I had to sail from anchor to anchor to go access outboard mechanic.
Did this on my 9 metre coastal cruising cat with no anchor winch or autopilot and sailing single handed.
The additional challenge I have is that I am a walking paraplegic as I had a flying accident 22 years ago. Doctors told me that I would never walk again. I obviously did not hear that word never as I was under influence of pain killers,
Now I can sail single handed and learning new tricks all the time.
My legs might not work as before my accident but my brain works much better so as whole I am an ABLE GUY.
My 50 year old catamaran has its own peculiar issues.
Does not have an anchor winch and I use hanked foresail to sail the boat a bit forward by pulling the gib by hand. Then pull the anchor chain bit by bit up.
From previous experience I knew that using gib I had more control going past other anchorec boats to clearer waters. Then hoisted mainsail.
First thing before all was to check out currents and wind. For currents I use a sheet of toilet paper thrown overboard.
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:36   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

We had a fun one this summer in the San Juan Islands on our Gulfstar 50 ketch - sailing onto anchor under a spinnaker. After a beautiful spinnaker + mizzen run up the outside of San Juan island we headed for English Camp in Garrison Bay. The wind followed the land around into the narrow, winding channel and we were able to fly the kite all the way in, almost 150 degree from our original course up the island, winding between some other anchored boats and crab pots. Used our new dousing sock (love it!) to kill the kite and dropped the anchor letting momentum set it well enough (mud/sand bottom. I love zero engine days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210913_205614546.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	247717  
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, motor, passage, sail, sailing