Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08   #46
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
PICS NAO!
lol i didn't take pictures pretty sure if I had I would never need a vasectomy.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
molotov cocktails would be good in the case of smooth water and an oil slick. i wouldnt use them any other time--they can be thrown back many times as they donot always break on contact.....oh--donot be in the middle of the slick whenye burn the stuff...LOL.....

louisville slugger with gaf hook on one end lol....swords....not guns--too much to lose when they impound boat for having hand guns aboard....never gamble more than ye can afford to lose.....
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18   #48
Xen

Honestly I wonder the real life statistics of being boarded by a pirate.( you know so I can plan on how much ammo to bring) Seriously though I doubt it happens enough to make a big issue about it. I want to bring my AR-15 and an old round LP with a target dummy just so I can target practice.I like to shot its alot of fun.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23   #49

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
1. Dogs can't smell steel. They can smell gun power. Heck people can often smell gunpowder from a recently fired gun. Dogs have a better nose, and can usualy smell the residue on the gun, unless it's completely new, never been fired. It is rather easy for them to swing a dog through you boat, and your cought.

2. It doesn't matter if you refuse to reconize the athorities. They have the troops, guns and jails. When your under what they claim as their domain, you eighter play by their rules, or your in revolt. If your in revolt, then they attempt to kill you. Since they have more guns, and more troops, they ususaly end up being successful.

3. Designing and making weapons is a full time job for loughts and loughts of people. Part of the problem is building a SAFE weapon that doesn't go off by accident, and then reliably goes off when you want it to. The idea of the phosporous filled coctails scares the bejesus out of me. If you drop it at the wrong time, your a dead man!

4. Expect any kind of practical weapon to be regulated. Remember the part about the athorities exist, and they don't like revolts? They don't like people opposing them. They generaly want to make their job easier, in most countries your not LEGALY alowed to have the means to resite their activities. That would include improvised insendary devices, firearms, and projectile weapons. Heck some countries even regulate knives! The US is somewhat unique on the amount, and capibilities of the weapons it's citizenry are allowed to own. That mindset generaly doesn't make it outside the US's boarders. That goes doubly true for "outsiders". Outsiders are absoutly NOT allowed to have the ability to revolt aginst the goverment. Even in the US it's illegal for "aliens" of any kind to have weapons. Remember, when your not in your home country, your an alien.

5. Here is the stratigy of another wantao-be cruiser.

A. Avoid gun, or improvised weapons when outside your home country. They get you into loughts of trouble with the local athorities.
B. Keep your valuables secure, and hidden. Don't be low hanging fruit. Pirates are likly uncommon, but theives are not. A secure companionway is important to detering theives.
C. Keep a good watch. If you see them before they're aboard you might beable to do something.
D. Remember to call in help if you needed it. VHF radio would be VERY important. Also concider a phone system of some sort. Only thing that beats a Navy warhsip is another navy's warship.
E. Remember that your on a boat. It's got a pointy end that works for ramming things, and a way to move accrost water. Do your damnest to keep your distance when your uncomfortable with the situation. Nobody ever got hurt by giving someone else a wider than normal sea room. If you don't like the port, don't go there.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
who are "they",Do "they" dictate how you run your life,protect yourself or handle your affairs? Which is the whole reason I want to leave land altogether. Some group of random people view themselves as legitimate or have some "divine" right, more so than the rest of us. I am just not buying it.

Ummm, I'm not trying to be political here (Mods! take note! ) but there is only one country in the entire world that has a constitution where there is some (disputed) section about the right to bare arms.

Now that ONE country in the world is really, reallllllllly *different* to almost every other country in the world.

On that one point alone all folks from the USA who have never traveled outside the USA, particularly on a boat, should trust me on this: You must learn the way of the rest of the world, because it ain't gunna learn your way. And its prisons, police and courts are not just a hell of a lot worse than yours, they are simply hell.

Pontificate as much as you like but it won't wash even in countries 50 miles from you.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38   #51

Quote.
Remember, when your not in your home country, your an alien.

That is not true Viribus.In the vast majority of countries you remain a person and are considered a visitor or similar.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

I've got a hand axe (hatchet?) onboard - dual use technology .........plus the option of either blunt trauma or a bit more cutting edge.

But truth be told probably will only ever be used in an argument - anything more serious (ie a Pirate attack ) that isn't resolved with avoidance (running away works a lot! - and a vastly underated martial art ) or from attitude / bluster due to being outnumbered / outweaponed my plan is simply to..................surrender ...........and keep me fingers crossed that I am dealing with semi professionals. My top tip would be to make clear you will be claiming on insurance and be getting new stuff - so you are very keen in them not getting caught and your old stuff being recovered (possibly not even untrue ).

But also thinking of getting a shield - something Zulu like and still aiming to get a Cutlass
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17   #53

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But also thinking of getting a shield - something Zulu like and still aiming to get a Cutlass
David do not forget the pirate eye patch, viking helmet with oxen horns and 70s era rock and roll boots with sequins....If you cant fend off the baddies with your cutlass, you could scare the shizz out of them with your crazy!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56   #54

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Nah, Just pre-score your bottles with a glass cutter and use the flare gun to ignite it. Less chance for "oopsies". Then break out the viking helmet, cutlass, boots, and such. That way you can always plead insanity.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28   #55

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
Quote.
Remember, when your not in your home country, your an alien.

That is not true Viribus.In the vast majority of countries you remain a person and are considered a visitor or similar.
"a·li·en (l-n, lyn)
adj. 1. Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.
2. Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.
3. Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.

n. 1. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
2. A person from another and very different family, people, or place.
3. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider."

At least in the context I'm trying to use it, "alien" is simply an english word for "not from there". When I'm not in the US, I'm an alien. I could have also used "a non citizen", or "non-subject". It has a diffrent conotation that "visitor" so I picked it for that reason. Visiting Mexico is very diffrent for a American than say visiting another state. I was trying to convey the nature of the diffrence.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:52   #56
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
"a·li·en (l-n, lyn)
adj. 1. Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.
2. Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.
3. Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.

n. 1. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen.
2. A person from another and very different family, people, or place.
3. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider."

At least in the context I'm trying to use it, "alien" is simply an english word for "not from there". When I'm not in the US, I'm an alien. I could have also used "a non citizen", or "non-subject". It has a diffrent conotation that "visitor" so I picked it for that reason. Visiting Mexico is very diffrent for a American than say visiting another state. I was trying to convey the nature of the diffrence.
I am from earth, so I don't understand the idea of nations. I get that alot of people like to be separatists or even supremacist I am just not that type of human.Yea I know alot of people are kidnapped and murdered and some tortured by being put into little cages.I am trying to avoid that and maintain my liberty. So I have to come up with solutions.
Old 10-05-2010, 13:59   #57
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I can tell most of you guys have never had a loaded firearm pointed at your face from a few feet away, held by someone who leaves you absolutely NO doubt that he intends to take something from you.

What have you got that is worth your life?

As for something legal, cheap and easy to use...the jet stream wasp and hornet sprays that shoot 25 ft will do a number on you if you get sprayed across the face. If you have one of those at hand, and get the opportunity to use it ( the barrel of the gun is not pointed at you, the finger is not on the trigger, ) you might have a couple seconds to blind the intruder, bash him, grab his gun, kill him, and then live with that for the rest of your life.

And that's no fun, either, despite what you might think.
Old 10-05-2010, 14:09   #58
CLOD

Boat: none
Well I think it's about time to get serious on the weapons issues and a return to the old ways........................................cannon s!
Old 10-05-2010, 14:21   #59
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
now THAT's an idea I can get behind!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 10-05-2010, 14:39   #60
CLOD

Boat: none
Sara - that's the perfect boat in the picture. It already has 3 gunports!
Closed Thread