Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
ANCHORING TECHNOLOGY ~ A White Paper Produced by Yale Cordage
http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/anchoring_tech.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 10:16   #47

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I don't even want to think about how heavy 300' of chain is.

So how do you get the chain on the boat.

I'm thinking crane...

Think shrink wrap man. 3/3 BBB weighs `1.64 lbs per foot. First layer of shrink wrap changes the chain down to 5/16 or 1.10lbs perf foot. Second layer brings it down to 1/4" and that only ways .64lbs. So you've cut the weight of the cain by a full pound a foot. From there its a cake walk.

On the other hand because my boat is on the hard I can load the drum of chain in the bed of the pick up (ute) and then back up to the boat and have the windlass do all the work.

Come to think of it I had to take all 200' of chain off the boat to mark it when I was in Canada. Lots of work but loading it wasn't so bad. Just remember -- never lift the whole weight at one time.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 20:01   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
Nope, it's because he has a helluva lot of experience around the world and knows what works for him. As a rather technical designer he also knows the theory and doesn't buy into whatever the going lore is, handed down as it is from the 18th century when the only market for anchor chain consisted of tallships with Admiralty style picks...
So tempting but I won't

Quote:
Of course his boat isn't particularly demanding for its LOA, but then why does he put on a 110Kg anchor when we recommend a 70 (and even that's conservative)?
I can't think of a 83ft boat that would be less demanding than Steves on anchoring systems.
Why such a big anchor? It could just be a simple case of he being a nervous anchorer, had a scare in the past, needs weight in the bow, lots of reasons. Including "I just like big anchors" as he often says. He is not alone quite a few think the same way, including most 18th Century and earlier explorers

Quote:
That's medium/high tensile 500 grade SS, right? I mean you can get weak 316 grades too, eh. Should be specific. What would you say you'd be handed if you walked into the average chandlery and asked for 8 or 10mm SS?
'Grade 50' is about as specific as you can get. yes you can get weak SS chains. A lot of chinese is only mig welded around the outside of the wire, for example. That's why it looks so good, no horsepower has been applied by welding machines.

What would the chandlers sell you? Could be anything. I'd say based on the market here, it would depend if the chandler is after the bucks or a well parked punter. That's why we always say "If you are not sure, ask for a Test Cert"

Kanani - Yeap, that explains the BBB then. There are a few good joining links that are perfectly fine down to 6mm. As most are made for the US market the sizing can be a bit out but one link should cause no issues with the average gypsy.

Boracay - If you are in a marina, those trollys most have will take 300ft of 3/8", especially when the marina staff are not watching
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 02:38   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
We normally install Duplex stainless steel in 8 mm for the Fastcat 435 and 10 mm for the FastCat 525 this chain is almost double the strenght of normal 316 L or A 4 chain but it works really well and stays corrosion free
The 8 mm chain can handle 6000 kilo or 13200 lbs and the 10 mm chain can handle 9000 kilo or 20.000 LBS it is for sale up to lenght s of 100 meter or 330 ft

Wagener & Simon WASI GmbH & Co. KG: Home
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor