Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 06:33   #1

Antibiotics, meds, etc. Mexico?

Many important meds can be bought legally over the counter in Mexico that may require a prescription elsewhere.

Can Mexico experienced people please suggest which antibiotics and meds I should get here in Mexico that are prudent to have in the boat's med kit?

Thanks.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 22:28   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Antibiotics, meds, etc. Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Many important meds can be bought legally over the counter in Mexico that may require a prescription elsewhere.

Can Mexico experienced people please suggest which antibiotics and meds I should get here in Mexico that are prudent to have in the boat's med kit?

Thanks.
CF not a medical forum. Best to discuss with your physician.

As research, wilderness medicine texts and even CDC Yellow Book website can help:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...le-of-contents

Very easy and reasonable cost to consult a physician while in Mexico, should the need arise.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 09:11   #3

"Should the need arise" while two weeks offshore with 2 weeks to arrive, the crew will be dead before arrival.

That is why I asked what should be in the med kit, like modern antibiotics. It is a stupid way to die, considering the availability of modern meds.
Old 27-10-2022, 10:54   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
"Should the need arise" while two weeks offshore with 2 weeks to arrive, the crew will be dead before arrival.

That is why I asked what should be in the med kit, like modern antibiotics. It is a stupid way to die, considering the availability of modern meds.
Are you currently IN Mexico or going there? It really is not clear.

Are you asking for medical advice on CF?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 11:11   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@Idaho: There are many resources on what broad-spectrum antibiotics should be carried, along with what other analgesics or other medication is prudent to have. None of these are much use without a bit of training or knowledge. I've got some PDF documents on my pages here which might help you get started.

The only advantages of buying in Mexico is that prices are lower, and things can be purchased OTC; even in the USA your physician will prescribe these items after a consultation - particularly if you explain that you are the skipper and going offshore
Old 27-10-2022, 11:15   #6

Boat: 88 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
@Idaho: There are many resources on what broad-spectrum antibiotics should be carried, along with what other analgesics or other medication is prudent to have. None of these are much use without a bit of training or knowledge. I've got some PDF documents on my pages here which might help you get started.

The only advantages of buying in Mexico is that prices are lower, and things can be purchased OTC; even in the USA your physician will prescribe these items after a consultation - particularly if you explain that you are the skipper and going offshore
thanks for the useful insight!! 🙏
not_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 12:02   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Antibiotics are truly dangerous for laymen to hand out.
My wife had a nasty tropical topical infection and 3 different antibiotics where prescribed to fight it off.
I’m not sure in a perfect atmosphere how long the shelf life is.
You could have, spruce sap, willow water, mint, cinnamon, tea tree oil, eucalyptus, catnip, and anise.
Only the catnip could kill you. Spruce sap will seal a wound or burn and prevent infection.
You could also have a small emergency oxygen kit.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 12:48   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I always carry a broad spectrum antibiotic on the boat. No trouble getting a prescription from a doctor
Old 27-10-2022, 15:04   #9

Thank you for good advice.

I am in Mexico, almost ready to start cruising. Over the counter is what I wanted to know more about.

I respect that this forum is not for medical advice. Enough info has been posted to have a good start on finding what I should have aboard. Thanks again
Old 27-10-2022, 15:16   #10

Boat: Voyage 430

*Disclaimer: I am in no way qualified to offer medical advice*

That said, when I have "gone far", I carried a few things in the medkit that I might not be inclined to carry while close to home:
Scopolamine in both patch and pill form (you can get pills from a compounding pharmacy; this allows you to break them in half and taper off dosing)
Promethazine suppository
Zofran
Ciprofloxacin
Azithromycin
Amoxicillin
Epinephrine
Lidocaine
Mefloquine (or other anti-malaria)
Miconazole (if females aboard)
Silvadene
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 15:41   #11

That was a complete list of antibiotics you may need. Also, they included some other useful meds to have aboard. Make sure that the patient is not allergic to the drug or family of that drug. Also, make sure you know what med does what. P.S. Thermometer and blood pressure cuff are essential.
golfcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:25   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

From memory, you can't get much aside from penicillin over the counter in Mexico. On the other hand, a consultation with a doctor will be cheap and they can give you a prescription for whatever you are likely to need on passage (think skin infections, UTIs, something for the rare chance of appendicitis etc.). Before you head offshore be sure you can contact your doctor back home so that, should the need arise, you know whether you need an antibiotic, which one to take, how much to take and for how long. These are not vitamins and can cause more harm than good if taken incorrectly.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Having lived in Mexico off and on since 2008, there isn't a drug you can't get here that is available in the USA. Some require prescriptions, but those can be obtained easily for oftentimes $50pesos. YES that is right...a Doc visit here is $50 Pesos, or $2.5USD. That's the going rate for a "Doc in the Box" which are associated with the Similaries Pharmacies here in La Paz.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 12:40   #14

I love people that like to lecture other people . it’s none of our business what you want to do you , ask a question if people know the answer to it answer it , I can’t stand people that lecture oh you’re gonna kill yourself oh this oh that , I’m surprised they can even get out of bed in the morning , Superiority complex or watt I don’t know ,These are the same people with that would Lecture you about government mandates we all know how that turned out
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 12:56   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
I love people that like to lecture other people . it’s none of our business what you want to do you , ask a question if people know the answer to it answer it , I can’t stand people that lecture oh you’re gonna kill yourself oh this oh that , I’m surprised they can even get out of bed in the morning , Superiority complex or watt I don’t know ,These are the same people with that would Lecture you about government mandates we all know how that turned out

Well it’s not that simple. It’s a good thing that the downsides get pointed out. I mean it’s a forum. No one is being forced to act or read anything.

Tags
Mexico