Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 16:03   #16

Re: Any Experience with the HOOKNIFE???

I used one once during a overnight passage through the Mona. We ran over a bunch of palm branches all tied together about 1am. They rapped themselves around our shaft. The hook knife worked great.Very sharp be careful .
bradb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02   #17
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Had it happen to me a few weeks ago.... line was way too tight to get this tool on. Wouldn't have worked for us.

I have the Shaft Shark (prop line cutter), but it didn't cut a single strand on the double braid line. It was my genoa sheet...1/2" and it didn't do anything! Horrible!!!
We also have a Shaft Shark which was utterly defeated by our genoa sheet resulting in pulling said line into the tiny space between the blades. Most useless piece of gear we ever spent money on. I don't know about the hook but if it means you don't have to get in the water under the boat and risk being hit in the head I think it would be worth a try.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32   #18

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
We also have a Shaft Shark which was utterly defeated by our genoa sheet resulting in pulling said line into the tiny space between the blades. Most useless piece of gear we ever spent money on. I don't know about the hook but if it means you don't have to get in the water under the boat and risk being hit in the head I think it would be worth a try.
Here is....

...the Shaft Shark. I'm not sure if it is the Plastimo Emergency cutter in this review, but it looks like it...

http://prop-protector-usa.com/rope_c...NOUGH_ROPE.pdf

If it is then then showed it cutting some smaller line but not the larger line. I think we are going to get the Prop Protector, which is the ProProtector in that review.

The spurs do best, but they would be very hard to mount on our boat. They cut about anything, but the Prop Protector seems to cut about any line and that is our primary concern.

A video of the Prop Protector...

Prop Protector Protects Against Propeller Fouling - YouTube!

... and one for the Spurs....

Spurs Marine - Shaft Cutter Installation

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote