Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 19:08   #121
Eternal Member

Re: Armed Boardings in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Au contraire, mon ami Eisberg. He stopped numerous places.
Well, i'm not sure how many would consider stopping twice in the course of a circumnavigation to constitute "numerous"... :-)

Quote:
Fastest vertical circumnavigation-Adrian Flanagan sets world record

On two occasions Mr Flanagan had to stop sailing. Once when he was waiting for permission from the Russian government to sail through the Arctic and once when conditions were too treacherous off the Norwegian coast and he wintered there.

He also hitched a ride with a ship in the Russian Arctic because the sea was still icebound.

The World Sailing Speed Record Council does not consider this a record, as Mr Flanagan stopped twice.

However, the World Record Academy has decided to recognize it as a record into a new category, which may be safer for record breakers anyway: rather than risking their lives in nonstop voyages, record breakers can have a limited number of stops during their attempt.

Fastest vertical circumnavigation-Adrian Flanagan sets world record

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:28   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, i'm not sure how many would consider stopping twice in the course of a circumnavigation to constitute "numerous"... :-)

Or, you could save yourself some time by simply typing 5 words plus 2 punctuation marks in your response; e.g., "You are right, my mistake."

If you make it past the breakwater and wish to sail the high seas in this current global climate of universal friendliness and international helpfulness with nothing more than a wish and a prayer, then please be my guest.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 21:11   #123

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Or, you could save yourself some time by simply typing 5 words plus 2 punctuation marks in your response; e.g., "You are right, my mistake."

If you make it past the breakwater and wish to sail the high seas in this current global climate of universal friendliness and international helpfulness with nothing more than a wish and a prayer, then please be my guest.
Being an idiot has a different meaning for most of us. Bragging with a shotgun and being saved by "the hand of god" pretty much meet the criteria IMHO
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 21:25   #124
Eternal Member

Quote:

Nah, I'm not one to put much stock in the power of prayer... :-)

There's plenty of places still left out there for me to see that don't entail much risk. So, I'll simply exercise a bit of discretion in where I choose to cruise, and steer clear of a place like Venezuela, for instance...

I've never felt the need to carry "A Big Stick" in my day-to-day or professional life, so I'll take up a different pastime before deciding I might need to do so while engaging in something I do for pleasure...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 21:44   #125

Quote:

There's plenty of places still left out there for me to see that don't entail much risk. So, I'll simply exercise a bit of discretion in where I choose to cruise, and steer clear of a place like Venezuela, for instance...

I've never felt the need to carry "A Big Stick" in my day-to-day or professional life, so I'll take up a different pastime before deciding I might need to do so while engaging in something I do for pleasure...
I'm actually in agreement with most of what you say, yet if I do big blue crossings or should wifey and I decide to sail anywhere near "sketchy" areas of the planet, then I do not want to be caught with my, or her, pants down. If you catch my drift. Best to just avoid the dangerous areas of this lovely planet whenever possible.

Glad I got that off my chest. Now, where's my Remington...
Old 02-03-2015, 21:55   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Being an idiot has a different meaning for most of us. Bragging with a shotgun and being saved by "the hand of god" pretty much meet the criteria IMHO
As for your "hand of god" statement, I assume that you are referring to the man in the video. You'd have to approach him with your theory.

As for shotguns, it is well known that they are excellent for deterring and sometimes solving home invasions. One into the air is enough to scare away most idiots, yet their close-quarter spread pattern is simply excellent when the need arises. For Maine white-tail deer, I actually prefer a nice 30.06 with a Weaver scope at about 100 yards. I imagine that setup would also work nicely on incoming machete-wielding boaters at about the same distance.

Bragging? You mean, Ft. Bragg?
Old 02-03-2015, 22:49   #127

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
As for your "hand of god" statement, I assume that you are referring to the man in the video. You'd have to approach him with your theory.

As for shotguns, it is well known that they are excellent for deterring and sometimes solving home invasions. One into the air is enough to scare away most idiots, yet their close-quarter spread pattern is simply excellent when the need arises. For Maine white-tail deer, I actually prefer a nice 30.06 with a Weaver scope at about 100 yards. I imagine that setup would also work nicely on incoming machete-wielding boaters at about the same distance.

Bragging? You mean, Ft. Bragg?
Yes, the man in the video. I was raised to guns and have nothing against if somebody prefers to have one, I'm not. A big but thou, showing of with one is immature idiotism and was the first thing I learned about carrying a gun.

Bragging, as "Arrogant or boastful speech."
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 23:00   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Yes, the man in the video. I was raised to guns and have nothing against if somebody prefers to have one, I'm not. A big but thou, showing of with one is immature idiotism and was the first thing I learned about carrying a gun.
Understood. Maybe he was a little sea sick.

Been deer hunting every November since a teenager. When you are raised with guns, or any weapon that can take a life, you obtain a deep respect for their usage. Today, especially in inner-city US, that understanding seems to have evaporated. There's a huge difference between raising a boy in the woods of Maine, and raising a boy in urban ghetto conditions where forced bravado -- and general idiocy -- rule the day. That's not to say I haven't seen idiots in the woods, and in the desert southwest.

When we sail, no one will ever know that there are firearms on board, unless forced to learn that information.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Goingwalkabout said:

I think that is a totally myopic and essentially uninformed US view of what is happening and of history.
Please Mr Canadian do tell us what in my statement was myopic so I can see clearly now.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20   #130

Quote:

Old 05-03-2015, 12:27   #131

Quote:

I agree with you Jon. As they say discretion is the better part of valor. However, I for instance have a residence in Argentina and another in the United States. I would like to travel for pleasure in South America and places beyond. Yes these places are risky so a reasonable person would do as you would and not travel there or as I choose to travel with a good amount of precaution, safety and self reliant defenses. So if I lived and sailed and a different part of the world I would embrace your discretion in keeping away from the dangerous areas. Then there are other decisions that come into play. Happy sailings.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:33   #132

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
... The closer to the Equator, the greater the risk, as a very general rule...
The earth is much bigger at the equator.

Tags
Venezuela