Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 21:42   #16

Talking

stopping a crime in progress is not punishment, it is self defense.

shooting them would not be a suitable punishment, but hanging from the yard arm would. such dirt bags are not liked too well here in Alaska either.

Decktapper
Old 24-08-2008, 22:23   #17

With the problems facing America today (drugs and worse) I could not be hesitant about using all the force I had if someone broke into my boat. My honey and I may be spooning at 3am when the door bursts open. I'm quite certain I would not wake up, ask their intentions, look for them being armed prior to drawing my own weapon. My weapon would be drawn and they would be told to be reeeal still. Any deviation from that scenario may result in a lawsuit from their widows.
Old 24-08-2008, 23:18   #18

Boat: Hylas 47
Hey, wait a minute! I'm from California, and I wouldn't hesitate to use my Kimber Stainless Custom II on an intruder into my private property, whether it was my house, or my boat. I wouldn't kill someone for breaking in, but I would kill them to keep them from harming me or my family, and if they break in, then the prudent thing is to assume that since they have already demonstrated criminal intent, then they may intend harm also. Not everyone in California is insane, just the majority.
Old 25-08-2008, 00:52   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
. My honey and I may be spooning at 3am when the door bursts open...... . My weapon would be drawn and they would be told to be reeeal still........ .
Which weapon are you referring to "Wild" Bill ??
Old 25-08-2008, 03:56   #20

Quote:
Uhhh........that would be the single shot with the snub nosed barrel. It's an esoteric brand called a "one eyed Viper". I keep it handy when I'm in peril. I've shot it many times over the past 60 years but only hit the target once. The fateful shot didn't cause any harm but it did result in 21 hours of pain for my wife. That was 27 years ago.
Old 25-08-2008, 04:17   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I was more curious about the comment "I'm quite certain I would not wake up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Anytime someone is killed during the commission of a crime it is ruled a homicide even if it is one of the perpetrators and if the fellow that shot him is not charged then his partner in crime will be charged with the homicide when he is caught.
That last bit sounds wayyyyy too sensible to catch on in this part of the world.
Old 25-08-2008, 04:58   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Abraham Maslow said: "If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”

This is why we want to expand our set of tools. Every new tool expands our skills and gives us new solutions to new problems. Sometimes a hammer is the exact tool we may need. The better you know our tools, the more confident we will be in knowing that the hammer is, or is not, the solution.

Old 25-08-2008, 05:21   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42
David M--
If the prospective burglars weren’t a mortal danger to the occupants of the boat they would have fled the instant they realized the boat was occupied. FYI most confrontations between homeowners/occupants and burglars result in the serious injury or death—of the homeowner/occupant! Your attitude is reflective of the “liberal” attitudes prevalent in California and particularly the Bay Area of which I happen to be a native. What is most interesting is that your attitude is widespread among all of those that have not had their or a friend or family member’s home invaded and someone killed or maimed—after which the liberal attitude changes, radically. In this case one of the villain’s is dead and cannot harm anyone else—for which the prospective victims should be given an award, not the misery and cost, they are likely going to have to endure. (Lastly, notable about San Francisco Liberals is the fact that few of them are actually native San Franciscans!)

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 25-08-2008, 05:46   #24

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Very well stated svHyLyte. I agree.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
s/v HyLyte:
I think your “a weary spirit” may need renewing.
Hostile personal characterizations, such as “your liberal attitude”, (or reactionary gun-nut Neanderthal), do nothing to advance your position, and certainly don’t foster congenial & civilized debate.
They may be construed as a personal attack, and, as such, would be a violation of our rules.
Play NICE !!!

FWIW:

One dictionary defines “liberal” as:
1) Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
2) Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded

The same dictionary defines “conservative” as:
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious.

Notice what those definitions do not say.
They say nothing about your view of the right to keep and bear arms.
They say nothing about your view of taxes, abortion, feminism, school prayer, or homosexuality.

Old 25-08-2008, 06:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
David M--
If the prospective burglars weren’t a mortal danger to the occupants of the boat they would have fled the instant they realized the boat was occupied. FYI most confrontations between homeowners/occupants and burglars result in the serious injury or death—of the homeowner/occupant!..... What is most interesting is that your attitude is widespread among all of those that have not had their or a friend or family member’s home invaded and someone killed or maimed—after which the liberal attitude changes, radically. In this case one of the villain’s is dead and cannot harm anyone else—for which the prospective victims should be given an award, not the misery and cost, they are likely going to have to endure.

s/v HyLyte
I agree with all of this(I removed the anti-liberal part) People so often miss the point that Burglary is a Violent Crime! Which is why the great State of Florida recently changed it's laws so that deadly force IS acceptable when defending yourself against a violent crime, of which burglary is one.

While I don't think that my POS truck is worth killing someone over, a carjacker may think that my truck is worth killing me for. No reason for me to wait and see how desperate he is before reacting.

I'm sure the guy on the boat in Baltimore is living a nightmare right now over what he had to do, but I'm glad the burglar got shot and not him.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:00   #27

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I'm glad the burglar got shot and not him.
Fundamental point missed by one section of the community.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:16   #28

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
we just left Houston Texas after 2 years and in Texas one has the absolute right to use deadly force to protect ones self and property. That does not mean you can shoot someone for walking on your grass but if you "believe" they plan to do you harm you may shoot first and ask questions later. This has not been a deterrent to crime, since in the Houston area crime is still prevalent. My wife worked with local law enforcement and most out right told her that do what you must because the odds are very good that no matter whether it is robbery, burglary or car jacking, there is a extremely good chance that you will be shot or stabbed and very likely killed by todays criminals. Those are the words of law enforcement and not mine. This from what some here claim is one of the safest countries.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-08-2008, 09:11   #29

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Let's not forget about the guy in Houston who called 911 and reported his neighbor's house being burglerized. He threatened to shoot them if the police didn't arrive quickly. The burglers were leaving, so he went out and shot them both dead with his shotgun. The grand jury refused to indict him.
Old 25-08-2008, 09:23   #30

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
well i live not far away, i might want to say good shoot. but this is maryland... we dont even have the right to self defense in our laws, either they charge or dont charge you if you do defend your self

kind of off topic about 10 years ago a woman was receiving death threats in the mail, she applied for a ccw permit and was denied and took it to court. the judge said no because the death threats were not signed and she could have written them. she was killed 2 weeks later
Closed Thread

Tags
baltimore, piracy