Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2006, 08:48   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
best first aid training on east coast (maryland)?

In many locations I've cuised to, such as the lower Jumentos, or the North east coast of cuba, we were in locations where we were 24 hours plus away from rescue, and the facilities at a place with a "hospital" didn't include working x ray machines. Any good recommendations for advanced first aid training in Maryland?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 08:58   #2

Check with, local volunteer FD's/ ambulance services, local hospitals, and comm colleges. Your looking to find an EMT course. It'll be about 6 months long and well worth your time.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 10:50   #3

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Try the National Ski Patrol. They offer a 'derived' non-urban course (Outdoor Emergency Care) that is essentially same for EMTs but with emphasis for the 'non-urban' setting. With respect to Maryland contact the Ski Liberty or Whitetail Ski patrols (South Central Penna). Courses are usually taught in autumn.
The OEC textbook is a 'stand alone' version that really doesnt need an instructor; but, the actual course provides LOTS of hands-on training that you sometimes dont get with standard EMT training. After completion of the OEC course, then you 'move on' to "Wilderness EMT- WEMT" for probably the best courses for 'first aid' in remote geographic areas.
www.nsp.org
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 15:27   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Check your local American Red Cross chapter, they often schedule advanced first aid. In some states you will find colleges and adult ed programs teaching advanced aid and EMT training. In others, you will find as a practical matter that you can't take the formal training unless you are working with an EMT group of some kind. And, even then it may run $1500 or more.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 16:55   #5

I have completed the National Ski Patrol's OEC course, EMT-1 in the state of Alaska, am an Air Force medic, hold my NREMT-B, and have my W-EMT from NOLS/WMI (National Outdoor Leadership School). My recommendation for first aid training on a boat would ideally be to take all of them, but I realize this won't fit everyone's needs. If you have little time, I recommend NOLS Wilderness First Responder course. The NOLS classes go a little deeper into medical cases (as opposed to trauma) and nursing care for extended transports than the others. If you have a little more time, the NSP's OEC class is phenomenal. You will get a great deal of hands on practice, and will be able to handle most trauma cases and a fair number of medical cases. For those with the time and money to spare, go through NOLS W-EMT full program. This is by far the most useful course, but it is also the longest and most intensive. Steer clear of local or national registry EMT-B classes as they are geared towared "scoop and scoot" approaches where you always have a doctor on the radio and an ALS ambulance to meet you halfway.
mmHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 04:50   #6

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Likely, your local F.D. can help w a good basic first aid course. Wound dressing, bleeding, breathing and shock treatment, CPR, stabilizing the patient until the Pro's arrive. Its wise to have a good kit. Not the 8x8" small kits you find on a lot of boats. Taking thier course will allow you to peruse thier kit. Do that! Those courses are surprisingly adequate. You don't need to be an emt, paramedic or P.A. unless you want to do it for a living.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I think the Wilderness F.A, Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT courses organized by places such as NOLS are much more applicable than most Red Cross courses and I say this as a Red Cross Instructor. SOLO is located in the NE and has an excellent reputation for teaching these classes. I even have them fly to the midwest annually.

The WFA course is usually a two day (weekend course). It's not bad, but for circumstances where you are not as close to help, I really recommend the WFR if you can afford the cost and time. It's typically a week to 10 days.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, Maryland