Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 09:32   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Boat Seven Sisters Found Capsized

She was for sale a year or 2 back. Wonder if she sold? New owner, possibly?
Old 27-11-2014, 10:28   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

One of the sources says the owner had a kayak and a dinghy (I think an inflatable). Can't see none in the images. Maybe he got rescued?

I was trying to find if USCG set of a SAR but I do not know how to find such info.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 11:06   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Lots of videos with that boat:

tomkardos - YouTube

On the comments of the first movie someone says the boat was found and the crew missing.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 13:12   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 31

"Fast, stable, 40' Hybrid"
That's a joke. Only stable upside down! This design is clearly a stunt in search of a disaster. My prayers go out for his safe return.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 07:30   #20

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

any word on this man?
Old 29-11-2014, 10:29   #21

I scan the Internet but can find no follow ups. Perhaps USCG knows something but I could not even find if they set off a SAR effort or none.

b.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:57   #22

Hey.
I am from Poland.
I have found info on our local newspaper site:
Szczecin: Masowiec PŻM znalazł wrak na Pacyfiku. Nie odnaleziono rozbitków, dookoła pływały rekiny - 25 listopada 2014

Looks like the crew was noowhere to be found, but there were signs of someone who tried to "survive" long enought to be found. It looks like he did not made it tho.
When polish freighter "Tatry” found the ship, crew was not in the vicinity of the ship. Only sharks near the wreckage.
They've marked the wreck with fluorescent paint and contacted U.S. Coast Guard. After that they got permission to swam away.
Korhazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28   #23

So, I mean, is there a dude bobbing around the ocean somewhere out there in a red inflatable without a SAR effort? Sorry to keep harping on this but whats the coast guards status on this?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
So, I mean, is there a dude bobbing around the ocean somewhere out there in a red inflatable without a SAR effort? Sorry to keep harping on this but whats the coast guards status on this?
If they had an inverted boat stable and floating why should they go away on a small liferaft?, assuming they had one (they didn't had an Epirb). If they by any chance choose to be on a liferaft it would make all sense to have it tied to the boat at least till the boat eventually sunk (easier to spot).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhazz View Post
Hey.
I am from Poland.
I have found info on our local newspaper site:
Szczecin: Masowiec PŻM znalazł wrak na Pacyfiku. Nie odnaleziono rozbitków, dookoła pływały rekiny - 25 listopada 2014

Looks like the crew was noowhere to be found, but there were signs of someone who tried to "survive" long enought to be found. It looks like he did not made it tho.
When polish freighter "Tatry” found the ship, crew was not in the vicinity of the ship. Only sharks near the wreckage.
They've marked the wreck with fluorescent paint and contacted U.S. Coast Guard. After that they got permission to swam away.
Welcome to CF, Korhazz.
Google translation of link provided by Korhazz.

Quote:
Bulk carrier PŻM found the wreck in the Pacific. No survivors were found, the sharks swam around

Added: November 25, 2014, 16:45 Author: pit

On Monday, Polish Steamship Company ship m / s "Tatry" which is on the way from New Orleans to Lanshan in China found in the Pacific overturned catamaran hull "Seven Sisters" - said Krzysztof Gogol with PŻM.

Overturned catamaran in the Pacific. Not found any of the survivors. (Fig. PŻM)

. - The wreck was located about 500 nautical miles south of the Mexican Acapulco.

Polish crew initially thought that has to do with a small plane, but when the ship swam closer, it turned out that it was an overturned boat.

Cezary Wojdat captain immediately announced that found the wreckage of the Maritime Rescue Center of the US Coast Guard in Alameda (California). At the same time attempts were made to hold the boat on the side of the vessel by means of ropes and anchors.

- The yacht was a catamaran called "Seven Sisters" - continues Gogol. - The floating hull, or in its vicinity there were no living people.

There were no rafts or no, pontoons, whether lifebuoys around the yacht. The yacht had unsevered one of the side runners, had a hole in the stern.

- From the state of the hull (numerous bird droppings) showed that a boat floating on the water for a long time- reports on. - But it seemed that the castaway trying to survive, as evidenced by fixed container to catch fresh water, a mattress strapped to the hull and sail trying to protect him from the sun. Sharks swam at the wreckage.

US Coast Guard told captain m / s "Tatry" to take pictures of the overturned boat and mark it reflective paint, which will make it easier to find the wreckage of the US services. After completing these steps, Polish ship has been authorized to continue their journey to China.

- It is not known what happened to the shipwrecked staying on the overturned catamaran - added Krzysztof Gogol.
another photo of Seven Sisters

ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:11   #26

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Why was he travelling 100 mile offshore,crossing the Tehuantepec?The wind is always 50kn. there.The rule is 1 foot on the beach or at least 300 mi. out.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12   #27

It was reported earlier that the boat had onboard a 10 foot grey kayak and 6 foot red inflatable. The polish freighter (thanks for that report Korhazz) indicated that their appeared to be a makeshift water collection system. Its very possible that this guy made a "run for it" with the kayak and inflatable and is still out there. On a different note did anyone check the inside of the submerged boat?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27   #28

I have browsed USCG public domain but found nothing. Can anybody on the US side look into CG Alameda and see if there is any further info?

b.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39   #29

Posted on BoatDesign.Net
Quote:
11-27-2014
One man mission and he did in fact survive the capsize. If you look at the picture, there is a grey mattress partially covered by the sail. The sail is secured with ropes attached to the sides of the Seven Sisters. It also seems that there is a blue water catch suspended along the side of the hull. The storm that hit the ship was around Nov. 2 which was the last contact made.
Currently the US Coast guard is performing a search and rescue mission for him.
Quote:
11-28-2014
The CG has 4 Helicopters and 3 Navy Ships searching full time for him. They will update tomorrow with more information regarding the search. He did not have an EPIRB.
Quote:
12-2-2014
CG has concluded their search and rescue. They couldn't find the Seven Sisters vessel nor did they find my dad...
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21   #30

Boat: Bristol 35

Very Sad. The boat looks like a fishing boat with pontoons added with a mast a sail. I know nothing about tri's.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size