Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 08:18   #1

Boat: Durbeck 46 cutter
Boating as a Healthy Avocation

30 years ago I read a book about a veterinarian who, after hearing his doctor say he didn't have long to live, bought a boat and sailed away to live another 25 years. This story has always intrigued me.

It has always been my experience that I feel better both mentally and physically when I am on the water boating. In fact, my health increases markedly over time the longer I am aboard. It is not that I just feel healthier but I am more healthy.

For instance my blood pressure decreased to a level last seen when I was 30 years younger. My muscular tone and strength increased as well as endurance. I have reached a general feeling of well being and peace with myself. My grey hair has not changed back to brown but I have less aches and pains.

How about you. Have you experienced positive changes in your health? Is the changes in your body and mind more than just a nice tan? If you have become more healthy what is the cause? What do you do to increase your health? Is it just me, an isolated case, or have you noticed the same results?

I would appreciate hearing from you about your health and well being experiences while boating; power, sail, rowing or paddle. It would be extremely interesting to see if others are noticing positive changes. Replies can come to this forum directly or if you wish to my email steveston2@gmail.com

I am in the process of writing a blog called 'Healthy Boating' in order to gather information on boating health, especially for seniors but for people of any age. Hopefully it will become a reference resource for boaters to get ideas and encouragement from each other on increasing our health. Healthy Boating.

www.healthyboating.blogspot.com
Sv Apolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:23   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
hmmm. I'm thinking that boating was only a healthy activity up to the point that they invented beer.
Old 16-09-2009, 20:03   #3
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
No specific health effects, but I always feel better sailing ( or even puttering around on the boat). Maybe sailing releases endorphins or something like that, but my wife calls the boat an antidepressant.

I just need to raise my dosing regimen.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 20:10   #4

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Think my HMO will spring for a new boat/ Or a trip maybe?
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 22:41   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393
Absolutely. Lost 10+ lbs moving aboard. Of course, that may have something to do with moving from Louisiana (great fried food, poboys the size of footballs, etc) to Washington state (salmon, organic/free range/co-op, and coffee!). This is something a buddy of mine and myself talk about every so often...cruisers always seem less "old" for their age compared to their peers ashore. Maybe it is the attitude they have, but I really think it is a combination of more physical activity aboard, decreased stress, and healthier diet (no fast food). In spite of the healthy dose of sun-downers!!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 23:28   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I got rid of 100lbs of useless fat, but then had to sell the boat in the finance work for the divorce
Old 17-09-2009, 02:47   #7
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
I think it may have something to do with not wanting to be here (on land,work whatever). Last on the water 26mths ago. Been bored , lost and not interested since then. Put on weight, blood pressure up, temperment is not good. Been to the quack ???? times in last 12 mths, went twice in twenty years playing on water. New plans started 3 mths ago, pressure is slowly coming down, I'm smiling and cracking jokes, joined forums, the missus even kissed me the other day. Watch this space there's a mad red head revamped and headed for somewhere. See ya shortly, who gives way to who?
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:42   #8

Boat: Allegro 33
I totally agree. With all above, not the beerjoke but thats another string, cold beer is good.
Im a lil on the heavyside and i loose weight when sailing I forget to eat and i move more and are just a happier individual sailing or around boats. Was without a boat for 2 years and know the feeling of being lost and semidepressed.
If the shoe fits, sailing is it./Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:43   #9

Can someone explain to me why I have a star under my nicname? Some dont and some are 5 star?/ Harry
Old 17-09-2009, 04:02   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Harry View Post
Was without a boat for 2 years and know the feeling of being lost and semidepressed./Harry
I think a lot of us can relate to that.

Old 17-09-2009, 05:41   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Harry View Post
Can someone explain to me why I have a star under my nicname? Some dont and some are 5 star?/ Harry
Its the number of intelligent posts V's drivel.

I have 5 Star great posts and no bull twaddle to be seen.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:01   #12

MarkJ haha I should stop here while my %age is high./ Harry
Old 17-09-2009, 06:06   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Harry, I think its just the number of posts each member has done. Gord prolly has 100 stars!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:19   #14

MarkJ Yes IC well Im working on it what a great forum this is.

Thank you/ Harry
Old 17-09-2009, 07:10   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Reasons cruising increases my health/well being:

I love it so it's easier to be more active. I'd much rather snorkel for an hour than watch the lane line on the bottom of a pool while lap swimming for an hour.

Emotionally, it's much more satisfying than many other pass times. Being satisfied is emotionally better for my health. I also tend to exercise more and eat better when I'm satisfied.

Reasons cruising is not as good for my health/well being:

From an exercise point of view, it's much harder on the body and has a greater risk of injury and is not designed as efficiently as other alternatives. Lap swimming, weights and exercise machines are less expensive, lower impact, and target both cardiovascular and muscle development better than cruising. Medical help if needed is generally closer to a gym/home, than a cruising boat. Bunks and bending over make my back hurt and winches break my bones (twice now). Overall, healthful food is more convenient, less expensive and easier to store at home than when cruising. I'm exposed to more harmful UV when cruising that at home.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote