Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you drink alcohol while on passage?
Never 92 46.46%
Occasionally, if it's calm 52 26.26%
Every day, but a strictly limited amount 45 22.73%
Why ever not? Gotta dull the pain somehow. 9 4.55%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2023, 07:18   #211

Re: Booze underway

Never. I get brave when I have a drink.
Nooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:33   #212

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Intoxication is what convinced me to sail in the first place. In the 80's three of us couples chartered a crewed sailboat out of St. Thomas. Cap'n Pat had a rule "no drinking until the anchor is set". Having heard that, we were all quite surprised that first thing after breakfast he popped open a beer. Let's just say that he kept himself well hydrated by that approach throughout the day (to the tune of about half a case). And then, when the anchor was set, he loudly proclaimed that "the drinking may commence" whereupon the booze started flowing. Apparently, what I wasn't aware of was that beer is not "drinking".

After a week of this, we got off the boat and I said to my mates "if he can sail that boat drunk, I am sure I could do it sober" and learned how to sail.

Unlike Cap'n Pat, my rule is the same at jtsail - not a drop for me while underway. I do like my rum (typically with loads of fresh lime juice as a daiquiri) in the evening and even then, I am conscious to not drinking to excess, because I pretty sure that if that anchor drags it won't help me remedy the situation if I am sloshed.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:54   #213

For long passages, with multiple shifts, 4 hours on watch, 8 hours off, a glass of wine or a beer, before going to sleep at 0700 or 0300....The person on the watch has been sober for 6 hours...1 drink...

I think the problem comes with those who might have an alcohol addiction.

But that is a different topic. One can have crew that has other equally dangerous issues.

But you are the Captain, you...not they are responsible....So your choice.

But if I have a glass of wine with the meal..Then if we have an ALL HANDS ON DECK MOMENT....The Adreeniline will definitely overcome any residual blood Alchohol
dtarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:01   #214

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtarrin View Post
For long passages, with multiple shifts, 4 hours on watch, 8 hours off, a glass of wine or a beer, before going to sleep at 0700 or 0300....The person on the watch has been sober for 6 hours...1 drink...
This is the key difference on my boat. We sail as a couple, never take on crew. Watches are 4-on, 4-off. In reality, neither of us is ever fully off. So there is zero drinking while the boat is underway.

If I was on a boat with a large crew, and long watch rotations, I'd have no issue with responsible consumption on board. But not in my situation.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:05   #215

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

In an EXTREMELY rare circumstance we have a drink (beer / wine) before or during passage but really avoid at all costs. Dumb things happening on a boat are more likely after drinks... IMHO. Anyway, geez there's more than enough time once the hooks dropped for drinks!

Agree w/ other posts, for those who do, fine w/ me. It's just our judgement call.

Cheers,
jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Old 10-04-2023, 09:11   #216

Boat: Colvin, Doxy

Never while on delivery or when commercially in charge of others safety.
Same for the crew. I had owners accompany me once, he drank, but he agreed to stay below after drinking and he did.
On my own, or with friends, yes I have.
But now, health issues, I can’t drink much if at all so that has changed as well.
kavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:12   #217

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau 52.2

On our boat, alcholol is allowed when daysailing where conditions are good and the sailplan is simple. We never drink on passages of any length. In fact, we're halfway thru a 4 week passage from Central America to French Polynesia...hundreds of beers aboard and not a one consumed. The only exception was a toast to Neptune during the shellback ceremony.

However, in my time cruising I've found this to be an extremely American point of view. Many sailor friends who are more experienced (we're talking 40-50k nms) and who take sailing safely VERY seriously, do have a glass of wine/beer or two in the evening, and are shocked when someone suggests that this practice is ill-advised. All, however, would consider drinking to excess to be unacceptable.

I liken it to the American attitude toward having a drink at lunch during the work week. I would never do that, but it's common practice in many other parts of the world.

I'll leave to social psychology to an expert, but it seems like drinking alchohol for many in the states is associated with 'getting drunk,' where many other cultures simply think of it as part of their meal.
JMR1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:25   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I was shocked to discover recently that some sailors of not insignificant experience have a habit of drinking while on passage, even in snotty weather and shorthanded.
Thus the poll (if it posts), to see whether my expectation of sober passagemaking is off the wall. It's not for me to judge those who drink or the circumstances of their indulgence--so long as it's not while on watch on my boat--just to see how prevalent drinking underway is.
Thanks in advance to all respondents.
While I do not do this I have found as a private charter and delivery captain that more people than I would have thought do do. I live on St. Thomas and it’s not uncommon to see a person drive a vehicle with a drink. It is not a violation of the law to have an open container in pubic or even while driving provided you are under the legal limit.

Just thought o would share that as I was in disbelief 5 years ago when I moved here full time.
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:32   #219

Yes that is such a difference.

When we go on the long journeys , like a Pacific Crossing...or longer...like a 20 to 30 day pasage... We bring crew.

I have friends that have done that trip solo... for me, sober or not, that does not seem fun...But that is me...

We are just finishing a "Rally Maldives 2023", and I have 3 couples sailing Madives to Seychelles, by themselves, but not sure what they do (although after being in the Maldives for over a month, there probably is no alcohol left..(((

But for me, there is only one Captain. so it is your way or the Hiway...you two have some safe sails.
dtarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:53   #220

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
At an average of 2 beers a day, how are you going to store 20>25 cases of beer on a 36' boat and still have room for biscuits and beans?
I guess at that point, there's a decision to be made on which is more important. 🍻🍺🍻
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:02   #221
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

5 year circumnavigation - daily sundowners were part of the joy. On passage, one and only one at 4pm (unless it was rough). Usually travelled with 4 onboard, and sundowners were a social highlight of the day.
- crewed on friends boats that were dry on passage too - more common than not
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:04   #222

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

It's pretty common with me and most of my sailing friends to have a beer, or a glass of wine, on a nice day, while sailing. Seldom, but sometimes, in fair weather, two. I can't think of a time, in 50 years of sailing, when we had a third drink before the anchor was down.
Even well anchored, in good weather, the folks I hang out with very seldom over indulge. We don't overindulge at parties either.
That said, I remember once, over 20 years ago, anchored in Georgetown, Bahamas, when my sailing buddy and I cooked and ate dinner, played music in the cockpit and went through most of a bottle of rum, over a period of six or seven hours.

Many times, with a group of five or more, we have played music, and talked, right through to dawn, drinking, moderately, off and on. On Board, and on shore.

We used to smoke pot while we sailed, but that was the old days, when the pot was nothing like the strength of the stuff that's around now. Now we mostly eat our pot, and keep the dosage way down.

If you disapprove of any of the above, note that I'm honestly answering a question that was asked. At age 73, I am happy. I consider myself to be a reasonable and responsible boater. Please refrain from lectures, or attempts to fix what ain't broken.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:08   #223

Boat: account closed

best sailors i have ever known personally were strong drinkers.

1. 39 trips from los Angeles and through panama canal to caribbean single handed wrong way. started drinking at 3pm each day.

2. 84 yr old brit circumnavigated solo twice. washed his pizza down with scotch in evening.

personally i dont drink ashore or afloat.
my general observation is people function aboard best if they continue their normal routine.

both of these sailors were far better than i with my paltry 45k nm. it was an honor to have them aboard my vessel and i learned from them immeasurably.
who am i to kick them and their wisdom and experience off my vessel for practicing a lifelong habit?
i was lucky to know them.
kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:14   #224

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I guess at that point, there's a decision to be made on which is more important. 🍻🍺🍻
And for those of us who know Captain Haddock well, we can guess...
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:15   #225

Boat: Bavaria 36'

In my younger days I was a keen drinker but never when under way. Now I am TT for health reasons so it is not an issue.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote