Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you drink alcohol while on passage?
Never 92 46.46%
Occasionally, if it's calm 52 26.26%
Every day, but a strictly limited amount 45 22.73%
Why ever not? Gotta dull the pain somehow. 9 4.55%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 20:50   #16

Re: Booze underway

White wine is said to be an excellent preventative for Montezuma's Revenge, and rum, whiskey etc. have killed many an infection, internal and external. Despite all the modern theories the cold, wet miserable soldiers in the trenches of WWI absolutely swore by their SRD Demerara rum as a restorative and "warmer'. Worth having with you, even if never needed, like a good many other things.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 00:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A glass of red wine always seemed nice with dinner before going down to sleep at 8 for the first watch.

Are you talking about getting intoxicated or just having a beer or two?
Old 04-04-2023, 03:17   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
A glass of red wine always seemed nice with dinner before going down to sleep at 8 for the first watch.

Are you talking about getting intoxicated or just having a beer or two?
Well, the poll has various options. There's a far cry between a glass of wine with dinner and several rounds of scotch on the rocks, and everyone takes alcohol differently.
One problem with the term "intoxicated" is that it's often open to personal interpretation, and the subject is hardly the best judge of whether he's intoxicated or not.
I've sailed with people who were clearly lit, and had no idea they were anything other than normal, judicious, and mostly sober.
As a non-drinker, I have to be careful not to be judgmental about those who do drink, but I did want to see the concensus on underway booze, so that on future voyages I don't place unnecessary strictures on my crew, nor allow imprudent license. I'd hate to deny an innocent pleasure to a crewmember who can responsibly have a beverage and still operate safely.
Thanks to all who've responded so far--I can't believe we went to two pages already and this isn't even about anchoring!
Old 04-04-2023, 03:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
the subject is hardly the best judge of whether he's intoxicated or not.
Could not agree more.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:29   #20

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Only at anchor. Ever. Nothing else, ever, on my boat, or on any boat I Captain. I’d never sail as crew or passenger on a boat that had a rule at all looser than that. Ever. Period.

If you need to drink on passage, you will never sail with me. If you don’t need to, just do not.
Good to know
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:34   #21

Boat: beneteau OC 352

i always assumed that the culture of boating was rather international.. that said, i have to say, i dont recall there ever being a time that the crew from every boat on wednesday night race night at the yacht club didnt get off the launch boat without a 50gl black contractor size bag filled with beer cans..
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Part of our delivery contract includes removal of all alcohol from the boat before we depart.
When I was delivering, often with owners aboard, had similar provision. Seemed all clients understood and appreciated the rule. I am not a teatotaler by a long shot, but feel strongly that a boat underway be dry. Full stop.

That said, threads like these would naturally bring out the keep-it-dry crowd even though a scan of the coolers being lugged down a dock or the dockside trashcans on a nice day suggests the imbibe-underway crowd is well represented.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:49   #23

Boat: Endeavour 32

It depends......
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:51   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Booze underway

Coming from a background of the daily tot of rum which the recipients could choose to drink or trade for relief from duties/watches at future dates I have no objections to alcohol in moderation while underway.
Personally I like a 33cl can of beer with lunch and another at sunset.. crew are welcome to join me, or not.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:56   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We don't drink while the boat is underway. That includes everything from short hops to multi-day passages. Given that we are a two-person crew, it just seems unwise, and unnecessary.

Once the anchor is down, the beers come out (as long as no nasty weather is predicted). But never underway.

BTW, not saying that those who drink responsibly on passage are wrong. It's just not what we do.
Identical.
As live aboards of course we have sundowners and perhaps an evening glass. Or some rum on the beach.

But not sailing or when conditions are less than ideal. Its hard enough completely straight. And enough “stuff” happens already, no need to test the Gods.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:53   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'll let guests drink underway, but the admiral and I don't. Depending on where we are, what we're doing, etc. I'm ok with being at the helm after having a drink, but nothing more, and not in unfamiliar or challenging waters. We don't drink much anyway, so there's no real behavior modification needed to stick to this rule.

Basically, I stick to similar guidelines as driving, and the basic rule of "don't do something stupid".
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:02   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

if you can not self control your drinking, which is not the same as not drinking, while underway on a boat should you be allowed to boat? or drive? or do anything?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:14   #28

Boat: Dufour 29

I thought that was the purpose of downwind legs.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:23   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I was shocked to discover recently that some sailors of not insignificant experience have a habit of drinking while on passage, even in snotty weather and shorthanded.
Thus the poll (if it posts), to see whether my expectation of sober passagemaking is off the wall. It's not for me to judge those who drink or the circumstances of their indulgence--so long as it's not while on watch on my boat--just to see how prevalent drinking underway is.
Thanks in advance to all respondents.
It is owner's choice on my deliveries. We can run a dry ship, or I allow 1 beer per day with dinner on long runs. It should be noted that crew eats dinner together and we reef before dinner.

If seas are running- the "no drinking light is lit" and we save the extra beer for the dock.

Why do I allow it? Some hard numbers-- a DUI is a BAC of 0.08%. If someone chugged their beer, and somehow 100% of the alcohol in the beer was instantly absorbed into the blood stream it would yield a BAC of 0.02%. But since we sip our beer while eating dinner, the increase in BAC is dramatically less. Stated differently, I am yet to have someone aboard who sips a beer with dinner and is altered. As stated, we are reefed! And for the record- I am the guy who goes on deck if there is an issue. I triage and we work from there.

Why do prefer it? A single beer aides digestion, eases stress and fosters a camaraderie.

But like I say, if it is sporty- it is a dry dinner.

I feel a very large part of this is the mindset of the crew and the master's ability to manage and lead.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:51   #30

Boat: Tayana 47

For coastal cruising where we’ll be stopping for the night I allow others to drink during the day while sailing, but I don’t drink at all until the anchor is down or we’re in the slip. And nobody gets even close to drunk while underway.

Offshore, I like to have a glass of wine or a single beer with a relaxing dinner and that’s the maximum allowed. If weather isn’t nice so a relaxing dinner isn’t possible, I don’t drink at all and usually nobody else wants to drink either so it’s never been an issue.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote