Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you drink alcohol while on passage?
Never 92 46.46%
Occasionally, if it's calm 52 26.26%
Every day, but a strictly limited amount 45 22.73%
Why ever not? Gotta dull the pain somehow. 9 4.55%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2023, 16:12   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Booze underway

If your liver can't cope with 33cl of beer I would suggest you see a doctor ASAP..
Having said that, I live with a woman who reckons I'm an alcoholic if I have two bottles.
Enough to drive a man to drink..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 16:14   #62

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Booze underway

Benz its funny how attitudes have changed over the years. I was trying to find a picture of Chichester drinking beer in his saloon while underway. He actually had a keg plumbed into the boat for his round the world voyage. While trying to find the photo I came across the list of alcohol supplies Robin Knox-Johnston took on his round the world voyage. He had a case of brandy, case of scotch and 120 cans of lager and let's not forget the 3000 cigarettes! I wonder what he had left at the end of the voyage?
We never drink until the anchor is down and my old man's trawler was always a dry ship. To the point I can clearly remember as a young teenager drinking a pre-dawn celebration can of beer in his truck before heading out on Christmas day.
Boatman61 you're that vintage that actively tries to kill themselves by disregarding any health advice and somehow you keep surviving! Boatman you must be one hell of a delivery skipper, skinny dipping, smoking and drinking. You almost sound like an English version of Captain Ron.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 16:16   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If your liver can't cope with 33cl of beer I would suggest you see a doctor ASAP..
Having said that, I live with a woman who reckons I'm an alcoholic if I have two bottles.
Hopefully that's two pint size.......or close to pint size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647 (2).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	273725  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 16:18   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Same here.. boring Buggas ain't we...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 04-04-2023, 16:19   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hopefully that's two pint size.......
I should be so lucky..

Old 04-04-2023, 16:59   #66

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

A shade off the "original topic" but perhaps useful to someone....The internet is a really big place and so far it looks like it is forever. Years from now your argument for or against in a poll "drinking under way" may bite you in the ass in unexpected ways.

Granted the community at large only knows your username, but if the money is right that will be punctured in a heartbeat by any lawyer.

My position is don't make any rules for me based on a poll.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 17:02   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Boatman61 you're that vintage that actively tries to kill themselves by disregarding any health advice and somehow you keep surviving! Boatman you must be one hell of a delivery skipper, skinny dipping, smoking and drinking. You almost sound like an English version of Captain Ron.
Cheers
Damn.. its almost a Bro-mance...
Eat lottsa curry.. live healthy..

Old 04-04-2023, 17:05   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Heck, I reckon I'm an alcoholic . But I was going to say, 330ml* That's just a starter beer. It's barely enough to wet-the-whistle, as the saying goes. Far cry from a real pint, which is the only satisfying amount of beer, says I.

And therein lie my problem ; I drink to enjoy the taste, and yes, the buzz. No way am I going to be satisfied with just one little baby beer. Gotta have at least two, and by then I'll be eyeing three or four of your baby beers (~two pints does me fine ).

In my world, it's better to have none, than just a teaser beer. So nothing gets touched while our boat is underway. Once the hook is securely down, and nothing challenging is on the horizon, then the beers come out.

* We in the loyal colonies use ml, not cl
Old 04-04-2023, 17:20   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
* We in the loyal colonies use ml, not cl
Damn.. the Bludi EU even touches Canada..
Bring back the Pint..

Old 04-04-2023, 18:04   #70
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

For those that don’t drink underway, have you ever gone to a friends house, had a glass of wine with dinner then drove home?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 18:21   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fore&aft.. re my 'helluva delivery skipper'.. it seems I have gone out of fashion since my Pro Choice stance on vaccines on here during Covid.. not had a delivery since my last in Sept 2019.
Tell a lie.. did have one in Spring 2021, Spain to Greece, but walked away coz the owner tried taking the piss.
Not a Herd Animal..

Old 04-04-2023, 18:33   #72

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
For those that don’t drink underway, have you ever gone to a friends house, had a glass of wine with dinner then drove home?
Perhaps a better question is would you let your drunk friend drive you home? When you aren't sure how much they drank? Or how they handle it? When they might continue to drink while actually driving?

Lots of people can handle a single drink fine. I can have several, and switch to water before I get too drunk. My issue is that trapped on a boat for days or weeks you might find out your crew cannot. That once they have one, they keep going until they put your life in danger, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. And trust me, there is no way to know if your crewmember is that alcoholic until it is too late. Good friends of yours that you trust your life with, might be a closet alcoholic. Only when you are with them 24/7 in a closed space do you realize the extent of it.

Am I paranoid? Maybe, but I have spent a whole lot of time around alcoholics, and I really don't want to be around that crap ever again. Only people who have experienced what I am talking about can understand.

To answer your question, when I was younger, yes. Now I uber or walk. If I know I am going to drink, I usually uber both ways, so there is no chance of my driving afterwards.

Edit:
I have been on a boat as crew, when I was the only sober person, and I was genuinely afraid for my life because of how shitfaced beyond belief the rest of the crew and skipper was. All people I had sailed with before without alcohol and I had no reason to believe there would be an issue. When they ran out and went ashore for more, I was thankful for the chance to get off the boat.
Old 04-04-2023, 18:39   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

Am I paranoid? Maybe, but I have spent a whole lot of time around alcoholics, and I really don't want to be around that crap ever again. Only people who have experienced what I am talking about can understand.
I was raised with alcoholics. As I'm sure you know, problem drinkers are the last to admit they have a problem and the poorest judges of when they have had one too many. They all claim they know when to stop.
Old 04-04-2023, 18:47   #74
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Booze underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Perhaps a better question is would you let your drunk friend drive you home? When you aren't sure how much they drank? Or how they handle it? When they might continue to drink while actually driving?

Lots of people can handle a single drink fine. I can have several, and switch to water before I get too drunk. My issue is that trapped on a boat for days or weeks you might find out your crew cannot. That once they have one, they keep going until they put your life in danger, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. And trust me, there is no way to know if your crewmember is that alcoholic until it is too late. Good friends of yours that you trust your life with, might be a closet alcoholic. Only when you are with them 24/7 in a closed space do you realize the extent of it.

To answer your question, when I was younger, yes. Now I uber or walk. If I know I am going to drink, I usually uber both ways, so there is no chance of my driving afterwards.

Edit:
I have been on a boat as crew, when I was the only sober person, and I was genuinely afraid for my life because of how shitfaced beyond belief the rest of the crew and skipper was. All people I had sailed with before without alcohol and I had no reason to believe there would be an issue. When they ran out and went ashore for more, I was thankful for the chance to get off the boat.

We don’t sail with crew, only my wife and I. I didn’t think the poll was about a crewed boat just ones opinion on drinking while sailing?
I could of course be wrong
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 18:55   #75

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We don’t sail with crew, only my wife and I. I didn’t think the poll was about a crewed boat just ones opinion on drinking while sailing?
I could of course be wrong
Fair enough. Those are 2 very different scenarios.