Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 20:04   #31

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Question I think the real question is "can someone become accustomed to seasickness"?

I did get regularly seasick, but I find these days it is not much of a worry even working on the hot engine in rough seas. On the other hand, I don't know how many people I have taken out who have mouthed off about NEVER getting seasick who later told me they were nauseous and had to lie down or knocked back dinner. Likewise, I worked offshore crab trapping in my younger days and people who had NEVER been seasick would be hurling by midday as the crab juices putrefied in the hot sun.

This whole phenomena of people who NEVER get seasick makes me feel a lot happier about how I pushed myself through a few very uncomfortable situations to finally enjoy being at sea.
Old 27-03-2011, 12:55   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Can Someone Become Immune to Seasickness ?

I am planning to leave for round trip Atlantic next November. My wife would love to come with me the entire trip but the fact is, every time that we are sailing more than 5-6 hours, she's getting seasick. (until then she's usually OK) Tried dramamine, says doesn't help, even worse, became dizzy) So, she sleeps, sleeps and sleeps..
She says she's feeling so bad that sometimes she could jump out of the boat.

I tend to belive that in a passage after the first couple days, one should get used to it; it cannot go on forever Or can it ? Anybody with simialr experience ?

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 14:13   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Unfortunately it can go on for many days to the point of danger to life. I've sailed with one or two people that suffered prolonged and debilitating sea sickness both had to give up sailing.

It's uncommon enough , more prevalent in women in my experience.

Dave
Old 29-03-2011, 17:47   #34

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I am planning to leave for round trip Atlantic next November. My wife would love to come with me the entire trip but the fact is, every time that we are sailing more than 5-6 hours, she's getting seasick. (until then she's usually OK) Tried dramamine, says doesn't help, even worse, became dizzy) So, she sleeps, sleeps and sleeps..
She says she's feeling so bad that sometimes she could jump out of the boat.

I tend to belive that in a passage after the first couple days, one should get used to it; it cannot go on forever Or can it ? Anybody with simialr experience ?

Cheers

Yeloya

I was not much far off a few decades back and I know of professional fisherman who suffered from similar. One thing I really find helps is to spend a few days - or even weeks - onboard at an anchorage with a bit of motion before heading out. Instead of that sudden shock heading out the heads what this dose is allow the body to naturally start adapting to motion. You might even have to work up to the same from the wharf and the period will vary with the individual. Likewise, stagger the level of activity. I read a cruising magazine lately where the same strategy worked for another couple. I know it works for me.

Coincidentally, I also find ginger useful. While at one stage the prescription tablets worked, in a working situation I did find they caused too much drowsiness.
Old 29-03-2011, 18:13   #35

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

You can usually sleep your way through it... But if you have been imbibing the night before get use to it.
As time goes by you will become use to the motion of the sea. But under certain conditions you may acquire a case of the Mal de Mar again.
I have over 50 years at sea and only had Mal de Mar about a dozen times... It happens... and if it hasn't happened to you yet, It will.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote