Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 10:51   #16

Re: Close call between AC75 American Magic and Auckland harbour ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Hey, i'm just impressed that a monohulll overtakes a ferry!! Never had that issue and yes, in long island sound, we always give way, away to ferries: high-speed or otherwise. total displacement rules the seas.

Further to my post about the Oakland Estuary, for those who may not be familiar with SF Bay, as far as I know it's the ONLY place where ferries, including the high speed one from Vallejo, actually literally go out of their way to avoid pleasure craft.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 13:20   #17

Boat: Phantom 32

What a beat up. The news onpaper must be having a slope day. Nothing to see here.
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 14:17   #18

If you look at the Ferry wake, it looks like the AC boat was approaching at 90 degrees to the port of the ferry. It looks like the ferry turned hard to Stbd, which would have put them on a parallel course. The AC boat looks like it turned to stbd as well and ended up passing the ferries stern fairly close.

If anything the ferry looks like it gave way and the AC boat decided to turn to stbd rather than stand-on. Maybe the AC boat assumed it could easily turn to Stbd and pass the stern and we are making a bigger deal out of it than it actually was.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 14:41   #19

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

There is one rule that overrides all the other Colreg rules.

And that is rule 17 which can be simplified to say..

"JUST AVOID COLLISION, even if the other guy is a dick"

All this requires is a little common sense and courtesy. Typically the faster, more manoeuvrable boat just avoids the slower one. Simple.

After all, when Colregs were written sailing boats didn't do 50kts.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 15:38   #20

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

The whole of the Auckland harbour has a long-standing rule that recreational vessels give way to commercial. Nobody would know that better than Dean Barker (helmsman) who grew up sailing here. And when its all said and done, AC75 is a recreational boat.

Agree with other posts, compared to inter-boat proximity during a race, the crew on the AC75 would not have seen this as a close call at all, Defiant were probably just irritated that they had to end their reach which was probably generating much-valued real-time data
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:23   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The whole of the Auckland harbour has a long-standing rule that recreational vessels give way to commercial. Nobody would know that better than Dean Barker (helmsman) who grew up sailing here. And when its all said and done, AC75 is a recreational boat.
Ya know, I could argue that the AC boat is equally commercial as a ferry... they both generate income from their maritime activities.

But I also don't see this event as anything to get excited about... no collision, not even close in real terms, and I too am sure that the AC crew didn't find it hazardous (beyond their normal near death experiences whilst foiling along at unnatural speeds!).

Jim
Old 22-09-2020, 16:45   #22

Boat: adams 35

Its completely off topic but the next video after the "near collision" is much more fun............. a fisherman achieving the ultimate dream of all fishermen.....
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:48   #23

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Both vessels turned to starboard and successfully avoided collision; racing sailboats routinely come much closer together than this incident. No harm, no foul, no Colreg violation, both vessels being highly responsive and maneuverable.
Ok, first of all it was not a race, however that makes no difference; between a racing boat and a non racing boat Colregs apply, not racing rules.

In this situation looking at the wakes of both vessels, it is pretty clear that the AC boat (American Magic, out of New York) was on a course which was converging with the ferry and probably not sure what the ferry would do.

The ferry made quite an abrupt turn and it looks like they backed the engines as well. When it was clear to the sailing boat that the courses were still converging the AC boat bore off behind the ferry and then jibed; probably pretty close to what they were planning on doing anyhow.

In my view this was not a close call. Given the gentle conditions and the maneuverability of the sailing boat, they were fully capable of avoiding the ferry no matter what they did, and I am pretty sure the helmsman of American Magic (Dean Barker) was probably in communication with his chase boats who would have been calling the shots. It might have gone like this,

Barker: "Well, we're still converging".

Chase boat: "Go behind him."

Barker (to his crew): "Bearing away, prepare to jibe."

End of discussion.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:21   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Normal plain banana sailing, to me. I cannot see any collision risk there. The sailing boat clearly had a plan and executed it without hiccups.

Cool video. I wish I were there (even if only on the ferry !!!)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 18:26   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
As chotu says a ferry that has a known route day in day out have right of way in most civilised harbours , most charts always show a ferry route, I have to leave my marina and enter via traffic lights as it has ferries operating in the basin , ferries have right of way

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 18:47   #26

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I wish I were there (even if only on the ferry !!!)
I would love to be on the sailboat
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 22:05   #27

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I don’t know about Auckland, however some places (e.g. Sydney Harbour) have local laws that give ferries priority over everyone else.

From the state government website - note the wording “right of way” is theirs not mine

Priority over sail

Some commercial ferries on Sydney Harbour display an orange diamond shape which grants priority (right of way) over sailing vessels. This is an exception to the ‘power gives way to sail’ rule.

Do not attempt to cross the path of an approaching ferry displaying this signal.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 23:35   #28

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Some commercial ferries on Sydney Harbour display an orange diamond shape which grants priority (right of way) over sailing vessels. This is an exception to the ‘power gives way to sail’ rule.

Do not attempt to cross the path of an approaching ferry displaying this signal.
No point yelling "starboard" either...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 23:49   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
I don’t know about Auckland, however some places (e.g. Sydney Harbour) have local laws that give ferries priority over everyone else.

From the state government website - note the wording “right of way” is theirs not mine

Priority over sail

Once again, people who write website content paraphrasing legislation frequently get it wrong (often dangerously wrong). No mention of Right of Way in the legislation. It's no different to all the other "keep out of the way of" and "keep well clear of" sections in Rule 18.
Come to that, there's also no general "power gives way to sail rule" either.

There's only one way to know what the orange diamond actually signifies:
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/v...t/sl-2016-0308
NSW Marine Safety Regulation 2016:
Schedule 4 Modifications to Convention on International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
Rule 18 of the International Regulations is modified by including the following NSW special Rule—
(1) In this special Rule, priority over sail signal means a signal displaying an orange diamond shape.
(2) In addition to complying with the requirements of Rule 18, the operator of a sailing vessel must keep out of the way of, and keep a safe distance from, a vessel displaying a priority over sail signal.
(3) If the operator of a sailing vessel is unable to comply with subrule (2) of this special Rule, the operator is to make that fact clear to the operator of the vessel displaying the priority over sail signal as soon as possible.
(4) The operator of a vessel must not display a priority over sail signal without the written consent of the Minister.

(Note that there is no reference to Sydney Harbour. The same rule applies anywhere in NSW)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 00:41   #30

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There's only one way to know what the orange diamond actually signifies:
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/v...t/sl-2016-0308
NSW Marine Safety Regulation 2016:
Schedule 4 Modifications to Convention on International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
^^^
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Auckland, cal, Ferry