Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 14:42   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Clothing Gear

Hi folks,
We've been going around with regular outdoor clothing so far: using stuff like underarmor thermal layers, windbreakers, winter jackets, snowboarding pants and regular shoes. It's not the best, we get cold and wet. I think were at the point where investing in a good kit of sailing clothes would make sense, but we don't know where to start.

What sort of gear would you recommend for a budget of ~1.5k$ for two people? We'd like a set of versatile clothes for casual, fair weather daysailing and something good for when it gets cold, wet and nasty.

We're doing mostly coastal sailing on the west coast/california with the occasional bumpy ride around Pt. Conception.
Old 27-03-2020, 15:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Clothing Gear

This is a bit tricky to answer at the moment. In the UK, the best bargains are found in the late Autumn after everyone has given up and lifted boats out of the water for the winter. Stock left in the chandlers now in the Spring will be full price for the new season.

That said, what is going to happen at the moment for any shop still open is anyone's guess.

Musto do a nice offshore range which is light weight rather than "southern Ocean" kit called BR2 which you might look at.

Typical UK prices:

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/clo...ffshore-jacket

I would have suggested Henry Lloyd but they went under 18 months ago and I am just not sure the new Swedish owners are producing the same sort of hard core sailing equipment. Their range seems to be more leisure sport stuff.

There was some cracking deals on HL late last year as their dealers cleared the old stock from the defunct company, so that might be worth searching out.

Like you we would like heavy duty kit for winter sailing and then lighter BR2 kit for summer sailing, but that is beyond the budget and we keep to the coastal range of kit for most of our sailing. I have an old diving drysuit if it is going to really bad.

Add some good sailing wellies and a warm hat and you should be fine.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 15:09   #3

Don’t know your region

For sailing gear for temperate cruising I prefer lightweight . Much easier to live in
This would be midrange gear
The marketing term might be called coastal

Brand ? Whatever is on sale

The last gear I bought was Helly Hansen

The marketing name was SALT

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/sa...g-jacket-33909

It’s OK
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 08:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

IMHO get marine outer layers

I wear Grunden rubberized pants (not bibs) with wide suspenders from Amazon. My coat is a GilOS2. When needed, base layer is Helly Hansen thermal underwear. Depending on conditions- 100% wool Belgium a army sweater with short zipper and/or polartec 200. When really cold I add a bandana as a scarf.

Add a 100% wool watch cap.

When really cold and I need shoes, wool hiking socks under rubber fishing boats.

This ensemble will NEVER win a fashion show, will likely get me thrown out of a Yauch club - but it is warm.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 14:40   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by aybabtme View Post
Hi folks,
We've been going around with regular outdoor clothing so far: using stuff like underarmor thermal layers, windbreakers, winter jackets, snowboarding pants and regular shoes. It's not the best, we get cold and wet. I think were at the point where investing in a good kit of sailing clothes would make sense, but we don't know where to start.

What sort of gear would you recommend for a budget of ~1.5k$ for two people? We'd like a set of versatile clothes for casual, fair weather daysailing and something good for when it gets cold, wet and nasty.

We're doing mostly coastal sailing on the west coast/california with the occasional bumpy ride around Pt. Conception.
Jim and I sailed from CA a long time ago. I think all you need is a good set of foul weather gear. Our most recent purchase was Gill. I am quite pleased with mine. There is a caveat here, mostly, I've found that jackets start to loose their waterproofness after about 4 yrs. My overalls last longer. No idea why. For years, we'd get foul wx gear from West Marine, their house brand. Same story. Jackets good for 4-5 yrs., overalls, longer. Look for when what you wants is on sale. And when essential travel restrictions are eased, go try some on and see what you like.

Ann
Old 28-03-2020, 15:00   #6

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners

I have been racing and cruising in California for the better part of the last 40 years. Currently located in Santa Barbara.
What works best will depend greatly on where you are sailing and what type of sailing you are doing. SF Bay is very different then San Diego. Point conception can be quite pleasant or the worst place on earth pending weather.

My advise would be to get something that fits and you can move around in. For me the West Marine branded stuff has worked and fit well. As well as the Gill stuff, but as stated, only lasts a few years if you are using it. Guys I race with swear by the cheap rubberized plastic stuff and a general purpose under layer like you already have for outdoor gear. Keeps them dry and when it tears, no big loss.

I watch for sales, get what really feels good, and wear good long johns underneath. I also second a good wool beanie. If you have a ski beanie, that works great for cold. The foulie hood should keep it relatively dry.

I have not found a good way to keep my hands warm if it is really rainy. Wool gloves with a water proof shell have been the most successful, but my hands still get cold.

Short answer, A set of near shore foulies that fit well and let you move, good rubber boots and keep your normal outdoor gear base layer.

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 15:58   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Try fishing suits, Navis Marine, Frabill and Striker in the US, Fladen and Regatta in Europe. Much cheaper than branded sailing wear.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 17:47   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cold hands on watch? A plain, old fashioned hot water bottle will stay warm, and you can re-heat the hwb water in a saucepan (avoids getting rubber flavor in kettle) if it goes cold.

+1 for knitted watch caps or skiing caps with the pull down face cover.

Ann
Old 29-03-2020, 10:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Cold hands on watch? A plain, old fashioned hot water bottle will stay warm, and you can re-heat the hwb water in a saucepan (avoids getting rubber flavor in kettle) if it goes cold.

+1 for knitted watch caps or skiing caps with the pull down face cover.

Ann

I started carrying those small heater packs. They are good first aid for first level hypothermia (carotid, femoral arteries and under arms) as well as in pockets.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, gear