Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 07:32   #16

Re: Clothing - what to wear in Scotland/Ireland in August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
A kilt.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:52   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Actually a drysuit could be the wrong choice for Scotland in August especially if you are working hard say lifting the anchor by hand or short taking up an estuary because the sweet will build up inside and can't escape. So ours of inactivity afterwards will see you chill down very quickly. I have done deep deco-diving in Scotland in August, it just isn't that cold and we got a sun tan one year.

Assuming this is a school charter then take an ordinary set of water proofs and a good selection of layers for underneath so you can vary the the to adjust to your needs, no cotton at all.

Yacht wellies will be a boon but make sure they fit before hand, you don't need the expensive ones.

A good hat to keep the sun off, a bobble hat to keep you warm, a scarf for the night watches.

Anti midge stuff for the West Coast of Scotland, and this stuff from Boots is brilliant:

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Hand Cream 50ml - Boots

Bottom line you could spend a fortune and be no better off and perhaps never use the stuff again so don't go OTT for stuff.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38   #18

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

As someone who lives on the shores of Loch Linnhe in the shadow of Ben Nevis I can heartily say bring your bikini, waterproofs, down jackets, suncream and snow shovel. Yes even in August.

Right now, as I type, it is 12ºC at sea level. That means, as it is drizzling here, there is a good chance of wet snow on top of the hill. In an hour it could be blazing sunshine and into the high teens or even breaking 20ºC. In May we had the hottest temperatures in Britain at 28ºC, which is absolutely unheard of. IN June we were lucky to see more than 14ºC or the sun. So moral is prepare for everything the weather gods can throw at you.

Sea temperature on the West Coast is not as cold as people believe thanks to the North Atlantic Drift bringing warm waters from the Gulf of Mexico. We even have palm trees in some sheltered spots, with the most amazing white sand beaches. However it is not exactly tropical so a shorty wetsuit would be a good minimum if you fancy a dip and I'd go for a good 5-7mm wetsuit if you plan any serious water time. Just be glad you're not planning on the North Sea where I have to wear a full immersion drysuit when I fly to work!!

So upshot if it all is you can not travel light when sailing in Scotland as you have to account for 5 seasons in one day. As we say up here "if you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes as it's bound to change".

Oh and as for the midges there's little short of a head to toe "noseeum" net burka that will protect you from the little buggers. Even Avon SoSoft isn't 100% effective as they'll still land on you and making you itch. Anything with DEET in it will also work to deter them. If you are anchoring then stay a little further out and try to stay in a breeze as they don't fly in anything more than a couple of knot wind.

Hope that helps and enjoy the sailing

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:06   #19

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Try this company .... a favorite for the NW up through Alaska
http://www.wiggys.com
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:36   #20

Boat: Dufour 40

Deet.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:55   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I think that the list is complete - I can see you now.

Layer 1 - Skin So Soft
2 - Merino wool longjohns
3 - Bikini
4 - Kilt
5 - Antarctic-worthy foulies
6 - Merino socks with electric warmer
7 - Boots

I would add that a tamoshanter would complete your ensemble nicely.

***(look at historical weather data, there are more good days than bad, my observation was that the chill seemed to deepen the longer I was out, that may just be me wanting to get to a pub though).

Good luck, have fun - I don't remember it being so very very cold.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:20   #22

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
My next sail training is in Scotland and so far I haven't sailed in waters colder than 20°C. Any recommendations, what should I put on the shopping list?
CLOTHES . . . lots & lots of CLOTHES. WARM ones! . . . Wool is best because, even wet wool will provide a margin of warmth. That's why traditional navy clothing for British seamen (Royal navy) were always high wool content.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:49   #23

Boat: Prout

Whatever you bring the weather is likely say on arrival that you bring opposite or indeed everything from summer to winter in one day. It is the best if places to sail yet people have paid £1000s to charter a yacht just to sit in a marina for 7 days in gales. When sweltering in Tiree bay in August dived in to cool off only like a cortoon character shoot straight out again due to the cold. Wetsuits neede even in the summer! But have good quality waterproofs and layered warm clothing. As Billy Connolly quoted "There is no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothing!"

Yet get the weather lottery right and it will arguably be the best sailing in the world through remarkable wild scenery on the West coast. Definitely bring Avon skin so soft....... the midges are worse than any bad weather and if close to the shore will give you a tortuous sleepless night! What the midges do for misery the local hospitality brings unfortgetable kindness and generosity. I've been on remore islands and up isolated glens and invited in for teas and home made baking yes and even a wee dram!
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:08   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
For general warmness on watch and off you can not beat merino thermals such as them produced by Icebreaker.

Feet? I have yet to find a decent seaboot for serious coldweather use although I believe they can be found in Norway. For off watch a pair of uggboot style is good.

Hands? Tricky... you need to deal with 2 issues .... them as keep your hands dry probably wont keep them warm... them as keep them warm probably won't keep them dry.... dive gloves as suggested above may work for you.

Off watch you can't beat possum wool gloves....
During The Whitbread in the Southern Ocean I found Hell Hansen Mitts the only glove that keep you warm even when wet
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:47   #25

Went a bit of window shopping (disclaimer: this is my first time in the boating fashion world...) I was surprised that certain pieces are called "coastal" others "offshore" - lol, that 5°C spray would be much different sitting on a harbor wall or in a boat in the middle of the Atlantic... But I see, one can spend the price of a boat on clothing
Old 02-07-2017, 14:56   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Went a bit of window shopping (disclaimer: this is my first time in the boating fashion world...) I was surprised that certain pieces are called "coastal" others "offshore" - lol, that 5°C spray would be much different sitting on a harbor wall or in a boat in the middle of the Atlantic... But I see, one can spend the price of a boat on clothing
I bought a new Gill OS2 jacket late last year..... good for any conditions... I just layer up under it with merino as required ...

I prefer it to the ( heavy ) Musto jacket it replaced.
Old 02-07-2017, 15:10   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I think that the list is complete - I can see you now.

Layer 1 - Skin So Soft
3 - Bikini
4 - Kilt
7 - Boots

I would add that a tamoshanter would complete your ensemble nicely.

***(look at historical weather data, there are more good days than bad, my observation was that the chill seemed to deepen the longer I was out, that may just be me wanting to get to a pub though).

Good luck, have fun - I don't remember it being so very very cold.
Would that kilt be in Merino wool, polypropalene, or possum wool?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 15:21   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Would it be kilt, jocks and socks ... or just kilt and socks.....
Old 02-07-2017, 23:37   #29

Cleg-repellent
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Layer 1 - Skin So Soft
3 - Bikini
4 - Kilt
7 - Boots...
And squeeze all that in a hand luggage - will see Bikinis at least not needed, being a male

Btw, thinking about materials: being a chemist I am always warned not to wear synthetics, because they roast you like a pig in case of fire -> one more vote for that Merino underwear. I know, it's unlikely that one can't jump in the water from a burning boat in 3 seconds, but just one more thing to consider.

Tags
clothing, Ireland, Scotland