Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 10:59   #16

Re: CO2 cartridges on Airplanes

I’ve done it several times with no issues. Be sure to detach it from your PFD first. Always in checked luggage.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:24   #17

I am seeing conflicting guidance.

Per the Transportation Security Administration [TSA] website:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../co2-cartridge

CO2 Cartridge

Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: No

Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty.

Yet, per the IATA website link:

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...59-EN-2.3a.pdf

For gas cartridges, small, non-flammable containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2 reference below for division type and number. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a life jacket or vest. Not more
than one (1) device per passenger and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per person, not more than four
(4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices (see 2.3.4.2).

You will first need to obtain the approval of the operator [i.e., the airline]; such cartridges [as specified above] can be permitted in checked or carry on bag; the pilot in command must be informed of their location.

FYI.

Compressed gases are also classified as "dangerous goods" for transport. Specific classification guidance is copied below. One must comply with the transport rules regarding such classification.

‘Dangerous goods’ are materials or items with hazardous properties which, if not properly controlled, present a potential hazard to human health and safety, infrastructure and/ or their means of transport.

The transportation of dangerous goods is controlled and governed by a variety of different regulatory regimes, operating at both the national and international levels. Prominent regulatory frameworks for the transportation of dangerous goods include the United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, ICAO’s Technical Instructions, IATA’s Dangerous Goods Regulations and the IMO’s International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code. Collectively, these regulatory regimes mandate the means by which dangerous goods are to be handled, packaged, labelled and transported.

CLASS 2 – GASES

Gases are defined by dangerous goods regulations as substances which have a vapour pressure of 300 kPa or greater at 50°c or which are completely gaseous at 20°c at standard atmospheric pressure, and items containing these substances. The class encompasses compressed gases, liquefied gases, dissolved gases, refrigerated liquefied gases, mixtures of one or more gases with one or more vapours of substances of other classes, articles charged with a gas and aerosols.

Sub-Divisions

Division 2.1: Flammable gases

Division 2.2: Non-flammable, non-toxic gases

Division 2.3: Toxic gases

Reason for Regulation

Gases are capable of posing serious hazards due to their flammability, potential as asphyxiants, ability to oxidize and/or their toxicity or corrosiveness to humans.

Commonly Transported Gases

Aerosols
Compressed air
Hydrocarbon gas-powered devices
Fire extinguishers
Gas cartridges
Fertilizer ammoniating solution
Insecticide gases
Refrigerant gases
Lighters
Acetylene / Oxyacetylene
Carbon dioxide
Helium / helium compounds
Hydrogen / hydrogen compounds
Oxygen / oxygen compounds
Nitrogen / nitrogen compounds
Natural gas
Oil gas
Petroleum gases
Butane
Propane
Ethane
Methane
Dimethyl ether
Propene / propylene
Ethylene
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:42   #18

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Sorry, Montanan, no conflict. Try this link regarding Life Jackets, rather than CO2:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tems/life-vest

For the Canadian question: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/ite...g-life-jackets

Carry On Baggage: Yes
Checked Baggage: Check with carrier
Self-inflating life-jackets: One per person. Two CO2 cartridges/cylinders are permitted inserted into the jacket, plus two spares cartridges/cylinders.

As noted, it's critical to check both national regs and airline's web pages, and have a printed version of both handy. In the previous example, it seems that the crew member's jacket would have been fine on-board, but not checked. Strange, but true.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:44   #19

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by medevicerep View Post
I’ve done it several times with no issues. Be sure to detach it from your PFD first. Always in checked luggage.

I disagree. I think it should always be in your carry-on unless the airline specifies otherwise. That way you can explain that it is indeed legal and show the TSA agent the policy (printed out). This has worked for me a few times.

Of course, if you do need to check your PFD, certainly detach the gas cylinder from the vest. That way if they do pitch it you don't lose you whole PFD.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:52   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
CO2 cartridges on Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
My only problems have been with TSA. I print out the regulation and keep it and my PFD in my carry on so the airline is a non-issue.

That is the truth, one of the biggest hassles I’ve had with TSA was over diving soft weights, which is just bird shot in a nylon bag. However they just couldn’t understand what they were for, and why I they were in my carry on, even though I explained that if they were in checked baggage, I’d be overweight, and carry ons are not weighed.

I still can’t figure out how 5 lbs of bird shot in a nylon bag could be an effective weapon though.

Your fine with a small CO2 bottle, but not a larger compressed gas cylinder, I lost an O2 bottle to the TSA once. The reg is it can fly if the valve is removed, O2 bottles are tapered threads, unlike a SCUBA tank, your not getting that valve out without a big wrench and vise.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:00   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I would not take it out of the PFD. Leave it in place so it is obvious for what it is for.
At one time a TSA agent would not let me take one aboard, said it can be used to "make a gun" ?!
I never had a problem keeping the "loaded" PFD with my checked in luggage.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 17:53   #22

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

My experience has been to put the life jacket in my carry on bag with cartridge inserted. Carry a copy of the regs just in case but TSA sees these coming through every single day and knows exactly what they are.
wgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 18:31   #23

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

My Deckvest, along with with the PLB and AIS electronics are the single most valuable pieces of equipment I travel with and those go in my carry-on. The cartridge that’s been removed along with my sailing knife go in my deck shoes in the checked bag. I carry a spare cartridge, in its packaging, and pack it next to my shoes. Never had a problem in Mexico or the US.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Sorry, Montanan, no conflict. Try this link regarding Life Jackets, rather than CO2:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tems/life-vest

For the Canadian question: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/ite...g-life-jackets

Carry On Baggage: Yes
Checked Baggage: Check with carrier
Self-inflating life-jackets: One per person. Two CO2 cartridges/cylinders are permitted inserted into the jacket, plus two spares cartridges/cylinders.

As noted, it's critical to check both national regs and airline's web pages, and have a printed version of both handy. In the previous example, it seems that the crew member's jacket would have been fine on-board, but not checked. Strange, but true.
Ah, very good, Trusty. That is definitely a more specific guidance than the TSA guidance for just CO2 canisters. Thanks for finding and sharing that link with us all.

I am wondering if one also needs to provide the airline notice so that the pilot knows the location as was listed in the IATA document.

You will first need to obtain the approval of the operator [i.e., the airline]; such cartridges [as specified above] can be permitted in checked or carry on bag; the pilot in command must be informed of their location.

So heck one could presumably just wear the PFD as it will likely be superior to using the ones under the seat bottoms "in the unlikely case of a water landing". I get a chuckle out of the use of the term landing when referring to ditching [erhh, crashing] into the water, not often does one actually make a smooth landing like occurred in the Hudson river. Yet, better to be prepared than unprepared.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Ah, very good, Trusty. That is definitely a more specific guidance than the TSA guidance for just CO2 canisters. Thanks for finding and sharing that link with us all.

I am wondering if one also needs to provide the airline notice so that the pilot knows the location as was listed in the IATA document.

So heck one could presumably just wear the PFD as it will likely be superior to using the ones under the seat bottoms "in the unlikely case of a water landing". I get a chuckle out of the use of the term landing when referring to ditching [erhh, crashing] into the water, not often does one actually make a smooth landing like occurred in the Hudson river. Yet, better to be prepared than unprepared.
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!"
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:34   #26

American told me at the ticket counter that neither the vest nor cartridge could fly. I had checked with the airline ahead and TSA and called customer service. All said it would be no problem. The ticket counter personnel acted like I was crazy. I suggest checking with everybody but also printing a copy of the restricted item section of the airline's web site that says you can take a vest and up to 2 small CO2 cartridges in your checked bag. If I had been smart enough to print the airline's web page it would have saved me. Afterward, they did reimburse my taxi coast to take it and drop it at home, at least.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 15:00   #27
Marine Service Provider

TSA allows on all US air carriers(check limitations). The only US Airline that didn't allow them was American and they may have changed their policy. A friend used FedEx out of Italy to ship his PDF home and had all his gear stolen. So I guess it's no go out of Italy no matter what you do.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 17:04   #28

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Allow extra time to get the cartridges through TSA security or in checked bags. We just came back through Ft. Lauderdale on SW and no one knew the regulations.
First we declared them in for checked luggage. We detached them from our vests and it was a time consuming problem even though we allowed extra time. We had to go through several levels of supervisors that thought they were flammable, or they needed to be emptied, or it was up to a single persons discretion if they could be in the baggage. Eventually after calling waaay up the chain, they said ok in the checked luggage, but they could be confiscated when the bags were scanned. SW did read us the reg. that we each could carry on 2 cartridges in our carry on. So off to the TSA line we went (and our plane was already starting to board).
During the TSA scan they did see the cartridges (that's good right!). Again having to explain what they were, we again were detained. Had to explain we were allowed 2 cartridges/person per the reg. but no none knew about it. Again 2 supervisors up the chain, we were finally given the ok to board with our cartridges in our carry on.

Due to the big time delay at each step, we were the last people to board the plane, but at least we made it.

Bottom line we could have discarded them and saved us a big hassle. For me, it was the principle of the matter and I knew it was ok for me to carry them on, even if no one else knew it. Also I thought Ft. Lauderdale airport personnel may have seen/have experience w/these cartridges before due to the large amount of boats/crew that come through the area.

So back to the OP, based on what happened to us, I'd suggest allowing a lot of time to get through Canadian security (who probably has not seen many CO2 cartridges) or possibly leave your cartridges at home and by new ones in San Diego.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:46   #29

Lucky you are not in the land down under. Despite taking a duplicate set of rules and regs with me and previously getting permission from airline the gorilla in the all black security outfit ( looked like a much hated ww11 personal) literally ripped it out of my hands and refused to return it. As I knew the co pilot I brought this to his attention as he passed through inspection, however he was not able to assist despite offering to take it aboard himself. He was running late to go through his pre flight. I thought about threatening to refuse to board without the co2 cylinder but thought twice about it. As my baggage had already been loaded it would mean they would have to unload all luggage until it was located. There was still a long line of passengers behind me so I snapped him a nazi salute and boarded. He was too dumb to even comprehend the meaning.Don't know where this world is heading, just glad to be on final refit to take of cruising again.:
Peter Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 21:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
TSA allows on all US air carriers(check limitations). The only US Airline that didn't allow them was American and they may have changed their policy. A friend used FedEx out of Italy to ship his PDF home and had all his gear stolen. So I guess it's no go out of Italy no matter what you do.
American allows them in checked baggage but not carry on.

I've flown with my Crewsaver Ergofit 190 OS (hammar) with 38g cartridge installed and a loose (still in package) spare to U.S., U.K., France, Netherlands, Spain, Bermuda, USVI, bunch of Caribbean islands, Canada, Mexico, etc. and the only place I have ever had an issue was flying back to the U.S. from Los Cabos (SJD). There they wouldn't allow me to take it through as carry on so I had to go back out to check the bag then through security again.

As others have noted, do allow yourself some extra time to go through security in any country. Every time I fly out of my home airport (PDX), a TSA agent has to ask a supervisor which eats up 5-10 minutes. Lost about 20 minutes at AMS once which was the longest wait.

My advice would be to never, ever ask an airline ticket agent or representative as they generally have absolutely no idea what their own policy is. Print out the policy of the airline in question plus the relevant airport security policy (TSA etc.), laminate those and pack them with your PFD and spare(s). If the airline says they don't allow PFD/cartridge in carry on bag, don't carry on or you risk being booted off the flight with no recourse if they were to somehow find out, however unlikely. Practically speaking, once the bag goes through a security checkpoint, the airline has no way of knowing unless their own agents are searching bags.

I always remove my AIS/MOB device (Ocean Signal MOB1) and carry that separately instead of risk losing it if something were to go sideways, then just reinstall on arrival.

I've actually had more problems traveling through European airports with electronics like VHF handheld, two way radios, PLB, etc.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote