Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 06:53   #31

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: CO2 cartridges on Airplanes

One other thing I just thought of that hasn't been explicitly mentioned. When you print out the airline and TSA policy, make sure the website URL is clearly visible in the print.

If it were not legal to take these aboard, it would be stupidly easy to just edit an official looking document, so they're not likely to trust something just because you printed it out. So make it so a supervisor can go back to their office and put in the web site URL themselves, to verify your document.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I think it's really the luck of the draw as to who you get on check in. ICAO allows it, so any major airline should. Still, print out the ICAO and and airline policy and take with you to check in. SpinLock also provide a statement saying their vests are good to fly. I tried to deal with the issue before the flight--and couldn't with Air Canada. At checkin you can't use the machines--you must see a real person. But the lady I spoke to looked at my printouts, and then checked Google (really?) and said, yes, I was good to go but the Co2 must be in checked luggage & a max of two cartridges. So, having done it successfully once, I'm still worried about doing it again. Also, on a related topic, I've heard (but can't confirm) that the thread of the cartridge for Spinlock differs between Europe & NA--so the idea of just buying a cartridge at destination may not work.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15   #33

Thanks for the update....I've basically solved the issue as British Airways will accept CO2 cartridges. In doing so you must contact BA with your booking reference and request. They in turn will send you a letter of conformity and put comment within your booking ticket.
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 06:59   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

It's easy. I do it all the time. I travel with a copy of TSA guidance that permits it taped to the PFD. You can fly carry-on or checked. Carry-on is easier. I've been stopped about 20% of the time, a supervisor gets called over, and a teachable moment exists. I've never had a supervisor not know the rules. Leave yourself some extra time in case. One cartridge in place, one more attached to the PFD as a spare.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 07:11   #35

I tried recently to bring mine through security at sfo flying United. They caught it and pulled me to the side and told me it wasn't allowed in carry on so I went back and checked the bag it was in. But if taking sailing gear better to check a bag anyway. I just lost a rigging knife at Lauderdale after forgetting to put in checked. Bin Laden now owes me 37 pocket knives.
BayCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:51   #36

Boat: Catalina 320

I've done it twice. Both times on The People's Airline. It travels in checked baggage and NOT the cabin. Declare it at check in. No problem.

Brian
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 09:16   #37
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I agree with Malandterv.

I have traveled American Air twice with my Deckvest and extra cartridge along with wife's Deckvest and extra cartridge, from JFK and Hartford to Miami and Martinique FDF. I called American the first time, and they told me to put in checked baggage, along with PLB and other sailing equipment.

I did not inform anyone at the airport baggage check-in but stayed nearby while TSA ran bags through their machine. I did include a typed letter about American's directions in the bag, but no one ever opened the bags.

Note: we always dress nicely for the airport and customs/ immigration. wear a white shirt with pockets and look like a captain. look alert, courteous, and professional whether or not you are a professional captain.

we've never had a problem any where flying dozens of times.
Old 14-12-2018, 12:39   #38

Meh. I just leave it in my PFD, stuff it in my checked bag, and go. No airport security is ever gonna find it and I've never had a problem in 5 different trips. It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
I never dress nicely and we're so far past the days where looking like a rich white person is going to make any bit of difference. LOLZ
rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 14:18   #39

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I needed a replacement cartridge while in Europe, and as many will know the cartridges in the US have an Imperial pipe thread while the EU cartridges have metric threads. Instead of hauling cartridges back on the airlines I bought metric-threaded inflators and cartridges in the EU. This at least allowed me to buy spares anywhere. Of course it won't help those needing to fly with PFDs - sorry.

I still have one metric auto inflator with two metric cartridges, here in Portland, OR, if anyone is interested.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 18:26   #40

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

The variation in responses above reflects the variation in what happens at the airport. In November, with airline regulations printed and in hand, I was stopped by security and told that CO2 inflatable life jackets and inflators are not allowed in carry on. I asked to see a supervisor (assuming it would take less time, money and trouble than checking the bag. The supervisor did an extensive web search and agreed it was ok. This was in Vancouver.

A month later the same approach totally failed at security in Cabo San Lucas. Fortunately the airline accepted the bag (as per their online statement that inflatable life vests are ok in checked and carry on) and waived the baggage fee.

John Kretchmer’s description of trying to get an inflatable life raft on board a plane in London is hilarious.
Marathon1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 06:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post
Meh. I just leave it in my PFD, stuff it in my checked bag, and go. No airport security is ever gonna find it and I've never had a problem in 5 different trips. It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
I never dress nicely and we're so far past the days where looking like a rich white person is going to make any bit of difference. LOLZ
Once in Comox I forgot to let the airline know about the PDF and was called back to to security. Fortunately Comox is a small facility and I was able to clear things up quickly. I now always inform the ticket agent of the pdf.

I carry the IATA list and the airplane's policy, either printed on on a web page on my phone. I have flown British Airways a few times and have easily received permission.

The only problem I have had was with ComAir from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg. They required that I ship it via air freight. I had to take a taxi from the terminal to air cargo to pick it up for my next flight with Delta, with whom I had no problems. I suspect my pdf was in the cargo section of the same Com Air flight that I was on.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 17:50   #42

I always travel with 3 PFD ( family sailing ). Two cartridge per PFD are allowed ( I only have one per ). Never had a problem. I let TSA know upfront so there is no surprise.
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 20:31   #43

Boat: Island Packet 40

Wear the life jacket and if they complain tell them you don't trust the cheap, Chinese made ones they stow under the seats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:43   #44

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I needed a replacement cartridge while in Europe, and as many will know the cartridges in the US have an Imperial pipe thread while the EU cartridges have metric threads. Instead of hauling cartridges back on the airlines I bought metric-threaded inflators and cartridges in the EU. This at least allowed me to buy spares anywhere. Of course it won't help those needing to fly with PFDs - sorry.

I still have one metric auto inflator with two metric cartridges, here in Portland, OR, if anyone is interested.

Greg
This is news to me. We have Mustang 3084 inflatable harnesses that I bought in the US. I was going to buy some rearm kits here in the US (they are cheaper here), remove the CO2 cartridge, and just fly with the HIT inflator. Then I was going to buy CO2 cartridges in Portugal at the chandlery. Sounds like this idea might not work.

I can contact Mustang to see if the cartridges are metric or imperial threads.

This seems like a problem for all of the European sailors heading to the Caribbean.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:00   #45

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
This seems like a problem for all of the European sailors heading to the Caribbean.

I doubt that the Caribbean would be a problem, at least collectively. The French islands are a department of France so would have the metric stuff. The U.S. islands would have Imperial. So at worst it would be a matter of getting to the right island. I can see that this would be a problem for charterers, however.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote