Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 12:13   #46

If you can hail a passenger liner or cruise ship they have refrigerated morgues aboard. I knew a fellow who worked on one of the Miami-Carribean cruise ships. He said that people died every trip ( a lot of eating and drinking by people who aren't in the best shape.). He told me that on one trip, two days after departure three of the four refrigerated "beds" were occupied. The crew was placing bets as to whether they'd have to make room in the food freezers. Fortunately, the remaining passengers lasted the trip.

And we think we have problems at sea

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 12:20   #47

Boat: private yacht always moving
but what a way to go,,, drinking and eating on a cruise with all those pretty girls,, count me in
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 12:42   #48

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My bro advised that on an ocean cruise, should the worst occur to either of us, the ONLY OPTION is to get the body out and over the side. First before rigor mortise sets in, a couple of hours in warmer climates? because once the body goes stiff it is a whole lot harder to move.
Then it starts to rot and expand. Not something you want to spend the next couple of weeks with.
Old 17-10-2010, 14:35   #49

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
Okay. I'll ask. What was it?
Hints"
1. Thread is about death and dead people and disposing/preserving bodies.
2. Onyx is a stone commonly used to make vases and funerary urns
3. Found offshore in deep water
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 14:38   #50

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Sort of off topic..but there is a company which will inter your ashes in a reef ball and drop offshore...hmm...quickcrete, a bucket, some ashes and a BBQed stiff...can see a cheaper way to do this.
Old 17-10-2010, 14:48   #51

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'm certainly not wasting plonk, rum or brandy of my dead bodies.
Come on Sea Life for an adventure and if you die its over the bloody side. No need for canvas, no nose ring. Just a kick in the pants after I've checked the pockets.
Haven't seen a post from your missus for a long while.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:09   #52

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Hints"
1. Thread is about death and dead people and disposing/preserving bodies.
2. Onyx is a stone commonly used to make vases and funerary urns
3. Found offshore in deep water
Oh, it's an ash urn. Sorry, based on the girlie girls reaction, it sounded like it was something disgusting. I guess I never thought about someone dumping the urn with the ashes.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:45   #53

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
IMHO all this is a bit over the top.
If someone died or were seriously ill then I suggest you contact the authorities by radio / satphone. They will divert a commercial ship to pick up the person / body and you can then deal with it in a more normal way.
JOHN
That would work fine in most places, but probably not in the South Pacific. During one 3k NM passage we never saw another boat or ship of any kind and never heard any radio traffic. And keeping a dead body in tropical heat for a day or two (even baking out back on the aft deck) is not something I could bear to deal with. If either my husband or I die while at sea more than a day from arrival in port, the body is going overboard. We have notarized statements from each of us covering this scenario. The authorities might not be happy about the situation, but paperwork can be dealt with after the fact. Absolutely under no circumstances would we pay to ship a body back to our home country for burial. Others might be more sentimental and are willing to pay many thousands $$ to have their loved ones buried in the family plots back home. We are more practical minded -- if I am dead, toss me overboard with a weight attached and then get on with your life.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 01:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
If either my husband or I die while at sea more than a day from arrival in port, the body is going overboard. We have notarized statements from each of us covering this scenario.
Would it creep out a captain if a newbie crew person in good health showed up with this kind of paperwork?

Burials seem a lot like weddings to me, only even less rational. It's a lot more economical to negotiate prices, conditions etc pre-need. Not that this guarantees that decisions will be followed, contracts will be honored when the time comes.

"Simple and Cheap" My Father Said
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 01:30   #55

In this age I'd call my attorney before I called the Coast Guard. I'd have a burial at sea, call the attorney, then call the relatives, the attorney can contact the authorities. They can fly out to interview me if they like, with my attorney present.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 03:17   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
In this age I'd call my attorney before I called the Coast Guard. I'd have a burial at sea, call the attorney, then call the relatives, the attorney can contact the authorities. They can fly out to interview me if they like, with my attorney present.
What could crew do, concretely, to spare you this hassle and burden?
Old 18-10-2010, 03:25   #57

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
--and would you have this conversation with all crew, before or after the MOB drill. Seriously!!
Old 18-10-2010, 04:22   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
--and would you have this conversation with all crew, before or after the MOB drill. Seriously!!
Well, seriously -- why not?

As potential crew, I'd see it as my responsibility to minimise undue burden on the captain and other crew.

Took me a minute to figure out what MOB meant in this context. First guess was Mother of Buried, which in my experience ranks with or surpasses Mother of Bride. And those are discussions every captain should be spared.
Old 18-10-2010, 04:31   #59

Boat: private yacht always moving
well, if truth be told,,, the first thing i ask crew members when they come aboard is "what do you want me to do with your body if you die",,,, then i ask them to leave all there valuables, along with all computer passwords with me just in case of emergency,,, have less out of pocket cost when upgrading my sailboat
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 05:08   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
No burden for me. I just have never had a pleasant or appropriate experience when dealing with government authorities, or other peoples relatives. Too many things can go wrong. Best have an attorney's advice up front.

I don't think I'd ever ask crew what they want done. They don't have any choice in the matter.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote