Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2023, 08:23   #211

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42
Re: Defending your boat (pirates, angry mobs of fisherman etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Only as a last resort do you take it out and you take it out to kill people only, without hesitation
I'd argue that your emphasis is incorrect.

The point of using a defensive weapon is to stop the threat.
K1MGY is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 09:00   #212

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I'm sorry, but let's ignore this thread. It's been discussed a thousand times and will be just a repercussion and stress for the moderators.

If you want, just use the search function in the forum, and you have endless hours of reading material.
Thank you for some common sense .
capn ken is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 09:14   #213

Boat: Corbin39

Threads like this why I stopped coming to this forum anymore, though I have been popping by more often lately. The first couple of responses to this thread were right on the money. Yet here you are on 15 of it.
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 09:17   #214

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
My understanding is that the Red Sea isn't so hot anymore due to a strong NATO naval response. With the caveat that there's an ongoing civil war in Yemen.
When we wanted to go from Indonesia into the Atlantic there was an international naval force, not just NATO, in the region. They had a website with one page dedicated to yachts. They said quite explicitly that they could do nothing if a sailboat was taken by pirates. The exclusion zone they had went as far east as the southern tip of India and as far south as the southern tip of Madagascar. We followed their advice and went via South Africa.

After our circumnavigation it appeared we might get to captain one of two 50 foot sailboats as part of a Chinese reality TV show that would feature young women in bikinis in exotic places.(Yes I know, tough job.) The producer said he had arranged for a Chinese naval vessel in the multi-national force to accompany us through the area. Of course, he also said he had arranged the funding for the series and that turned out not to be true.
Old 15-09-2023, 09:42   #215

Boat: Custom, one design

Been cruising - high seas - for over 50 years. Absolutely, cruising has become more problematic. There are more “crazies” and “bad guys” out there than there used to be. What is hard to believe is the level of naivety displayed in the majority of these response postings. The ability to defend oneself on the high seas is a skill that all cruisers should be adept in, like celestial navigation, weather forecasting, and heavy weather boat handling techniques. Never been questioned by customs or immigration people in any port (US, Asia, Africa, Europe) regarding firearms, regardless of what was declared. Having radio or sat phone coms (or something like a .22 or 9mm, for that matter) will not help you during a potential incident. Stay updated on current “hotspots” and incident reports and avoid wherever possible. Go loaded for bear - the mega yachts do. Prepare for every contingency you can think of (the wise sailor does this, anyway). Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve won’t help in any bad scenario at sea.
Rainbow48 is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 10:08   #216

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingInfidels View Post
Threads like this why I stopped coming to this forum anymore, though I have been popping by more often lately. The first couple of responses to this thread were right on the money. Yet here you are on 15 of it.
I certainly understand and respect peoples' opinions -- negative & positive -- about firearms generally and on boats. But never quite understood the objections to OTHER people politely discussing the topic pro or con. Especially on a forum where it's all too easy to unsubscribe, ignore, or merely "lurk" if so desired. There are certainly other controversial or just pedantic () topics I often (and can understand others) simply opting out of, but why deny that opportunity to people who have legitimate interest or concern? Assuming, that is, forum rules are followed. I don't get this.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 10:50   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
All this bravado about scaring people off with the sound of your gun or flashing your gun really goes against everything I was taught.

I was taught that you don’t take out a gun unless you are killing someone.

My defense plans don’t include brandishing a weapon (illegal nearly everywhere), trying to make sounds with a weapon, etc.

My plan includes not letting anyone know there is a weapon, then trying every single thing I can to avoid using one. Only as a last resort do you take it out and you take it out to kill people only, without hesitation
Well, it turns out the non-"gun enthusiasts" are quite keen on going back and forth about the minutiae of hardware and the imagined use thereof.

Before anyone whips out their firearm at the last possible moment and blazes away "to kill people only" like a movie hero pushed to his last resort, perhaps it would be prudent to consider the example of the hundreds of thousands of crimes prevented by concealed-carry licensees in the USA.

In the vast majority of cases demonstrating to the criminals that one is armed and apparently willing and able to use said arms, is enough to make them go looking for a more helpless victim. The same holds true everywhere: criminals are in no hurry to die or suffer GBH and no normal person wants to have to injure or kill another person unless absolutely unavoidable.

In international relations it is called "deterrence" or in the worst case "mutually-assured destruction". It's probably why we're still here to talk about it.

For example:
Tillikum is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 11:03   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
When we wanted to go from Indonesia into the Atlantic there was an international naval force, not just NATO, in the region. They had a website with one page dedicated to yachts. They said quite explicitly that they could do nothing if a sailboat was taken by pirates. The exclusion zone they had went as far east as the southern tip of India and as far south as the southern tip of Madagascar. We followed their advice and went via South Africa.

After our circumnavigation it appeared we might get to captain one of two 50 foot sailboats as part of a Chinese reality TV show that would feature young women in bikinis in exotic places.(Yes I know, tough job.) The producer said he had arranged for a Chinese naval vessel in the multi-national force to accompany us through the area. Of course, he also said he had arranged the funding for the series and that turned out not to be true.
Could you flush this out a little more please. Dates, what int naval force? Which countries. How did you contact them?
This just sounds like a generic blow off. Half the Indian ocean is unsafe. Really?
A quick check on the poplular cruising youtud channels shows many visiting Islands off the coast of India and Africa fromSeychelles, Maldives all the way to Madagascar - as they do every year
Old 15-09-2023, 11:10   #219

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

I'm LMAO.
The old sages of the sea deflect an honest question, suggest it be ignored, and it meanwhile generates a 15-page (so far) response. Isn't it ironic?
BluePeter is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 11:12   #220

it happens to cruisers. i met a couple in Sea of Cortez that experienced it.
kurtis king is offline   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 11:18   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
...perhaps it would be prudent to consider the example of the hundreds of thousands of crimes prevented by concealed-carry licensees in the USA
Not proven.
The evidence to date does not adequately indicate either the sign or the magnitude of a causal link between the passage of right-to-carry laws and crime rates. ...
In other words, the data does not clearly link concealed carry statutes to the crime rate at all, much less show that they reduce violent crime. If you’re wondering do states with concealed weapons reduce crime, there isn’t a definitive answer, unfortunately.

Many other links if you wannem'... US homicide/violent crime/major-crime rates vs the world...

Looking at it another way... if you think that gun proliferation in the US has resulted in a lower crime rate there...then that would imply that the US crime rate would be INSANELY Venezuela-grade high otherwise, yes? Personally, I don't think that Americans in general are so criminally-inclined that only concealed carry will keep them in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
But [I] never quite understood the objections to OTHER people politely discussing the [gun] topic pro or con.
Well, as we keep seeing in this thread, its a topic rife with misinformation, and it's clearly a topic dominated by strong political feelings (pro or con) which seem to obscure the facts... and political debates aren't welcome on CF?
Old 15-09-2023, 11:23   #222

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

This thread is now becoming contentious but not quite enough to shut it down.

Also it is veering off into politics not directly related to cruising which is leading to deletions.

Why don't you all go find a nice anchor thread?
Adelie is online now   Reply
Old 15-09-2023, 11:26   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
This thread is now becoming contentious but not quite enough to shut it down.

Also it is veering off into politics not directly related to cruising which is leading to deletions.

Why don't you all go find a nice anchor thread?
Thanks for your opinion. We will just have to agree to disagree about that
Old 15-09-2023, 11:28   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis king View Post
it happens to cruisers. i met a couple in Sea of Cortez that experienced it.
Please elaborate. Details
Old 15-09-2023, 11:31   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Not proven.
The evidence to date does not adequately indicate either the sign or the magnitude of a causal link between the passage of right-to-carry laws and crime rates. ...
In other words, the data does not clearly link concealed carry statutes to the crime rate at all, much less show that they reduce violent crime. If you’re wondering do states with concealed weapons reduce crime, there isn’t a definitive answer, unfortunately.

Many other links if you wannem'... US homicide/violent crime/major-crime rates vs the world...

Looking at it another way... if you think that gun proliferation in the US has resulted in a lower crime rate there...then that would imply that the US crime rate would be INSANELY Venezuela-grade high otherwise, yes? Personally, I don't think that Americans in general are so criminally-inclined that only concealed carry will keep them in check.

Well, as we keep seeing in this thread, its a topic rife with misinformation, and it's clearly a topic dominated by strong political feelings (pro or con) which seem to obscure the facts... and political debates aren't welcome on CF?
I keep reading this assertion, but I dont see the politics.
We are talking about boat defense situations AT SEA

NOT GUN LOBBYING IN AMERICA ON LAND

I guess you see what you want to see. I dont have a dog in any political fight, I just want an open discussion. I want to hear opinions, suiggestions, solutions.

Tags
boat, fish, Fisher, mob